Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #57

JIM...Thanks for the info!
Wallpaper: we've noticed some bubbles, too, but so far not too bad. We may have to replace sometime in the future if necessary.
Hitch & sway: We have the Huskey Centerline hitch set up and haven't had trouble with sway but speed is always a factor when sway issues come up so we try to watch that.
Cables: We haven't really checked ours...but we will since you mentioned it. Thanks for a 'heads up'!
Bed: We haven't taken ours to a dealer yet. I've found if I pull the mattress toward me just a little to do the top corners and then slide it back it works pretty well without too much effort.
Table: We've got the same problem with the table rubbing in one little spot on the sink cabinet. I've been placing a towel between them to help with that. The table must not be placed right when they screwed it down to the floor. Not being able to get through to the living section is a drawback to this floor plan when the slides are in.
Shade tension: The best way we've found to take care of that in some of the trailers we've owned is that you need to pull on the string that is wrapped around the little buttons on the wall and make the string tighter fitting around the button. That puts more tension on the shade. Works everytime for us.
We contacted Keystone about our mattress, toilet not holding water and the outside flush connection leaking and they told us to take it to our nearest dealer. ( We bought ours in Indiana and we live in Missouri.) I think we'll wait for another trip just to make sure there aren't other issues.
I also asked Keystone to check to see if our Dexter axle was on recall and they said no that it wasn't. So we're ok for that issue.
All things considered, we love our trailer.
iluvcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #58

I just got my truck back from the body shop after almost three months. I don't want to sound mean or come across as a bad guy, but I'm glad you all had a chance to buy before me. You've given me a heck of a lot of new info to use before I start shopping again for a trailer. This past March the wife and I decided to hold off till we paid off her car at the end of the year. Then April rolls around and my truck gets t-boned.

At this point we're still confused which direction to go, buy a TT or a 5'vr.

Just out of curiosity, has anybody had a chance to see if either a Hensley or ProPride hitch will fit the 321RES? They both use jacks for the load bearing arms that would be right where the LP tank cover falls. The Hensley rep said they could make it work, but I'm just skeptical. I guess the cover could be left off, but it would seem the front would just end up acting like a scoop in the wind, picking up debris.
majorloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #59

Forest River Owners Club
I don't think either of those hitches would work without loosing the cover which ruins the whole look of the front end and will as you state, catch wind, water and debris. As another posted stated, chain type snap up brackets will work, but the cover will have to be removed when hooking and un-hooking. That's one of the reasons I chose the Equalizer. All you need is the tongue jack to get the bars on. Works 100% too. No need to spend all that money on a Hensley or PP IMHO. For us the decision on TT vs. 5er was a non decision as I refuse to give up the bed of my truck while towing. Generators, atvs, bicycles, etc. all come along from time to time. As for the trailer, I have no regrets. Bugs will be fixed under warranty. Still the best looking with the best floor plan I have ever come across......
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #60

Update: We dropped our 321RES off at Camping World for the recall and warranty work.

Oddly, even though the recall stated our axles needed to be replaced, and a week ago I informed Camping World that I identified the incorrect axles were on our trailer, the axles still need to be ordered and shipped.

Subsequent to my previous post, we found the following additional problems:

1. Massive leak in the fresh water tank/system. The carpet in the left rear of the trailer is soaked through and water is visibly leaking around the drain tube.

2. One of the grey water tank valves leaks (I estimate at a rate of a pint per day). We discovered this on our way to the dealer and were unable to determine which tank it was.

We will be without the use of our trailer until these items get addressed. Surprisingly, as we dropped our 321RES off, a new one was being accepted by the owners. Understand, we love our trailer, however I am very disappointed with the quality control at Keystone/Cougar.
JimEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:15 AM   #61

Wow, JimEli....those are some major problems.
One thing we can't figure out is if your fresh water tank and drain tube was leaking underneath..how did your carpet above get so wet?
We noticed gray water coming out of the pipe when the cap was removed but hubby noticed he didn't have the close valve pushed all the way in...he had to use his muscles : ) to do it.
I checked on the bubbles on our wallpaper border and sure enough there are a few. Will have to keep a close eye on that especially with all of the ridiculous hot weather we've been having here in the mid-west. We still have to address our sagging mattress issue with a local Cougar dealer...just waiting to see if anything else pops up. We plan on taking the trailer to Branson the end of the month so we'll see then if there are other issues.
A bit surprised that Camping World wasn't more 'on the ball' for you regarding your axle.
Don't give up...keep smiling...I think we still have a nice trailer. Just need to get all of these 'bugs' worked out!!
iluvcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcamping View Post
Wow, JimEli....those are some major problems.
One thing we can't figure out is if your fresh water tank and drain tube was leaking underneath..how did your carpet above get so wet?
I don't know the dynamics of why the carpet was soaked. But it was sopping wet. Possibly, the filler hose (which is above floor level) leaked during movement/towing which soaked the carpet. We discovered it upon arrival at the campsite, shortly after connection to city water (we used a reducer too). We had never used city or tank water systems prior to this discovery. However, the dealer had filled the fresh water tank before our delivery. Could the pump (which is in the left rear) be responsible for it? The tank might not be leaking, and the drain hose could simply be the path out of the trailer. Oddly, I drained the tank, and there was still water dripping from the drain area, even without city hook-up too. We hope to find out soon.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #63

Forest River Owners Club
Jim, the pump is up in the kitchen area, not in the rear. It's buried around the hot water tank. So, that's probably not it. Let us know what you hear. My axles are still on order and all other problems baring the wallpaper border have been addressed. I'm in the same camp as everyone else. Once the bugs are fixed, the look and floorplan of this trailer are still the best.....
Old 07-25-2011, 01:31 AM   #64

Tundra Follow up

[QUOTE=JimEli;905909]We just completed a very short outing with our brand new 321RES and overall we’re very happy with our purchase. Here are a few brief notes:

We pulled it with our ’07 Toyota Tundra, (prodigy, air-bags, 10K load bearing hitch) and while you definitely know it’s back there, it handled the weight well. Our Tundra’s 381HP/401 torque has no problem getting the 321RES up to speed or keeping it there. However, swaying will be the bigger problem with this combination, and we seemed happiest keeping it between 60-65 mph. I will be investigating sway control options in the future.

Our load-bearing hitch requires removal of the propane cover to snap the chains in place. I need to have a modified lever=arm constructed to eliminate this hassle.

Set up was quick and easy with the remote control. However, I wish the outside light was included on the remote. Don’t buy this trailer or make sure you use pull-through if you hate backing up.

JimELI,
How many MPG did you average with the Tundra? Did you have your water tanks full or anything in your front storage compartment while towing the 321?
Thanks.
canman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Jim, the pump is up in the kitchen area, not in the rear. It's buried around the hot water tank. So, that's probably not it. Let us know what you hear. My axles are still on order and all other problems baring the wallpaper border have been addressed. I'm in the same camp as everyone else. Once the bugs are fixed, the look and floorplan of this trailer are still the best.....
I'm without trailer to confirm this, but what is behind the removable panel under the TV, bottom left (right when facing the TV)?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by canman84 View Post
JimELI,
How many MPG did you average with the Tundra? Did you have your water tanks full or anything in your front storage compartment while towing the 321?
Thanks.
fresh water full, gray/black water empty, front compartment with about 75 lbs. of gear, kitchen 3/4 full of gear & food, light on clothes, and 3 dachshunds. 10.5 mpg @ 60-65 mph.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #67

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEli View Post
I'm without trailer to confirm this, but what is behind the removable panel under the TV, bottom left (right when facing the TV)?
That is where the electric comes into the trailer. Maybe a junction box. My water pump broke free of it's mounts and was vibrating like crazy. Trust me, it's up by the hw tank.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEli View Post
Update: We dropped our 321RES off at Camping World for the recall and warranty work.

Oddly, even though the recall stated our axles needed to be replaced, and a week ago I informed Camping World that I identified the incorrect axles were on our trailer, the axles still need to be ordered and shipped.

Subsequent to my previous post, we found the following additional problems:

1. Massive leak in the fresh water tank/system. The carpet in the left rear of the trailer is soaked through and water is visibly leaking around the drain tube.

2. One of the grey water tank valves leaks (I estimate at a rate of a pint per day). We discovered this on our way to the dealer and were unable to determine which tank it was.

We will be without the use of our trailer until these items get addressed. Surprisingly, as we dropped our 321RES off, a new one was being accepted by the owners. Understand, we love our trailer, however I am very disappointed with the quality control at Keystone/Cougar.
Dealer found 2 fresh water leaks. One at the tank and another on a line from the pump. They are still working the gray water leak. Dealer unsure about the resolution for the bubbly wall paper. New axles are scheduled to arrive on Aug 3rd...
Old 07-31-2011, 05:41 AM   #69

Forest River Owners Club
New axles go in mine a week from Monday. Am going to have them adjust the bedroom door like they did with the bathroom door last time. It's a bit tight. Otherwise, I think ours is set. Heading to Lake Champlain this week to enjoy it some more....
Old 08-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #70

Forest River Owners Club
Just noticed while packing today that our table is rubbing our counter as well. Guess I'm in that group too. Will see what the dealer can do when I bring it in for the axles next Monday......

Tags
heartland, kz-rv