RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobySue View Post
Canman -- I bought my 2012 High Country 321RES from Pete's RV and honestly the experience was overall very good!! I was in the same boat as you. Local dealers couldn't even come close to the deal Pete's was giving me. So, we took the plunge and bought from Pete's. My salesman was Louie Cooper. He was pretty good -- could have been a little more attentive to emails but that's okay. I, like the others here, am having some of the same issues with the camper but that has nothing to do with Pete's. That's completely Keystone's poor work quality. I ended up paying to have the unit delievered to my home by their transporter since I live about 20 hours each way from them. The delivery was perfect. The guy showed up exactly when they said he would and parked it right where I wanted it. He filled the 2 propane tanks and showed me all around the camper. I have 2 dealers within 2 hours of me. One is willing to do warranty work and the other is not. Since I did not buy from them, I'm not at the top of the list for service BUT honestly, that does not bother me. I saved over $8,000 buying from Pete's and I would do it again in a heartbeat. They are legit and put everything in writing. Soo, long story short, go for it. You will not be disappointed. :-)
THANKS SCOOBY SUE !!! I have really been doing a lot of research and it seems like a good buy. I'm not hesitant to talk money so after financing I will pay less than $200 a month. I'm glad that the delivery man showed you around the RV, that was a concern of mine. If they are willing to do the same for me, I'll have them deliver it rather than drive up there to get it. I'm not sure where I will be stationed when I return to the U.S. but I am greatly looking forward to living out of the 321RES (despite the issues). I'm still doing my analysis on generators, solar panels and security systems. I've contacted various dealers and some have priced the 321RES as high as $42,000 (that's after negotiations) stating that it is very hard for them to maintain that floor plan due to customer demand. I'm slightly disappointed that I can't replace the free standing dinette with a booth style seating area but such is life, it will be ok. This may seem like an off the wall question but how long does it take for the shower water to get warm? I don't like to waste things so I'm trying to find out ways that I can be more energy efficient.
canman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
That's such BS. I've heard that from dealers too. It's never true. Glad I worked out for you. As you recall, I was talking with Pete's at the same time as you and they didn't even offer me the same price as they did you. Maybe it depends on who you deal with there, but to me it felt very sketchy. They tried to charge me over MSRP on hitching equipment and some fantastic fans. Never mind the discount they promised. (I ended up buying my items online for 30-40 percent less than Pete's. You'd think that when someone is buying a trailer from you, that you would be straight with them. Plus, I found out they were lying to me about their inventory lot out near the Keystone factory. There is no such lot and that was a straight up lie to get me to leave a deposit. Then they would order my trailer and make me wait. Their inventory on their webs site is also BS. Again, I'm glad you had a good experience there. I wouldn't buy a dog house from them......
LMBO, sorry for laughing but I feel your pain Taken. I've been dealing with Rick at the dealership and to tell you the truth, if I was him, I would have been mad with me by now. I've asked him sooooooooo many questions in regards to the trailer that I'm surprised that he still answers my calls. I've given them a $500 deposit thus far and I'm getting the 50 amp model with 2 couches, rather than the recliners. I've been looking around at campingworld.com. Are they one of the cheaper companies to purchase RV products from? I'm going to purchase a 10k equilizer hitch and cameras IOT (in order to) assist me with reversing. I've been in contact with a woman that is a full timer and her TT is nowhere near as nice as the 321RES; however, she loves it and enjoys being "off the grid." She actually told me that we could take a trip together one day........... I'm not sure how my wife would take that though, lol.

OAN: Has anyone purchased the GPS made specifically for RV's? I believe
it's the Rand McNally RVND5510 and it retails for approximately $360.00. If you have bought it, do you think it's worth it? I generally don't pay over $150 for a GPS but if it's worth the buy, I'll pick it up for the RV. Thanks !
Old 08-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #87

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by canman84 View Post
LMBO, sorry for laughing but I feel your pain Taken. I've been dealing with Rick at the dealership and to tell you the truth, if I was him, I would have been mad with me by now. I've asked him sooooooooo many questions in regards to the trailer that I'm surprised that he still answers my calls. I've given them a $500 deposit thus far and I'm getting the 50 amp model with 2 couches, rather than the recliners. I've been looking around at campingworld.com. Are they one of the cheaper companies to purchase RV products from? I'm going to purchase a 10k equilizer hitch and cameras IOT (in order to) assist me with reversing. I've been in contact with a woman that is a full timer and her TT is nowhere near as nice as the 321RES; however, she loves it and enjoys being "off the grid." She actually told me that we could take a trip together one day........... I'm not sure how my wife would take that though, lol.

OAN: Has anyone purchased the GPS made specifically for RV's? I believe
it's the Rand McNally RVND5510 and it retails for approximately $360.00. If you have bought it, do you think it's worth it? I generally don't pay over $150 for a GPS but if it's worth the buy, I'll pick it up for the RV. Thanks !

The shower heats up very fast as it's right in front of the hot water tank. No worries there. Do not get a 10K Equalizer. That's what Pete's told me I needed and again it was bad advice from them My tongue weighs in at 1300 lbs. Get the 12k system. All your outside storage is up front, you have that huge closet up front, and there is a lot of storage under the bed up front. That tongue gets heavy in a hurry. The best place to buy an Equalizer is RV Wholesalers. You can get a 12k for $459 shipped from them. Here's a link. Equal-i-zer Hitch 1200/12000lbs Trailer Weight - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts I use a regular Garmin GPS for rving. I have a vehicle specific one for my boat, but see no special requirements for a RV. Good choice on the two couches. That's the route I went. All the units are 50 amp so be sure they aren't charging you for that. I too wish I could have gotten a booth rather than the dinette and chairs. Keystone told me it wouldn't fit. Truth is, the dinette doesn't fit either as most of us on here have it rubbing the counter top taking off the finish when the slide is closed. My dealer is addressing this now while it's in for the axle swap. As for full timing, I'm sure it can be done. Just remember what I said. Lots will break as everything in the trailer is CHEAP and won't hold up long under full time use. It's not even cheap household grade. It's below that. The carpet is paper thin, the doors and like cardboard with wood grain painted on, and the plumbing fixtures are VERY cheap. Also look into getting your mattress replaced before delivery. Ours lasted 4 nights before caving in in the middle. I can't imagine full time use! My best advice to you is to go back and read this entire thread and make a list of all the issues people have had with this model. Then check EVERY one during your PDI. Many issues seem to be less than random with multiple units affected. Let us know how you make out!
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #88

Just a note about the booth....we saw a 321RES at the dealer we purchased ours from (Walnut Ridge) in New Castle, IN. We sat in it and believe me....you wouldn't want it. It was very tight and we're not large folks. We wanted the booth because of grandkids we take with us every so often. I guess you could sleep a little 5-6 year old but that's about it. Our dealer said they quit making our floor plan with a booth so it wasn't even an option to us ordering our new one...the dealer just happened to have ordered it before Keystone stopped making it an option. We still haven't taken ours to have the mattress checked or to have the toilet fixed (doesn't hold water after flush) and the outside black water fixture needs to be addressed.
TAKEN...I think it was you that mentioned yours was leaking on the inside of that fixture...we'll have to check that out. Where did you notice the inside leak...or how did you notice it???We're going out with it for the 2nd time the end of this month just to check for any other issues that might need to be addressed so we can get it all fixed at the same time.
iluvcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #89

Forest River Owners Club
It was leaking like crazy on the outside but my wife could see water going across the bottom of the tank. Then all of a sudden, the water stopped moving in the tank and she yelled out to me to STOP as the underneath of the bathroom sink had water flooding out of the floor into the bathroom. Fun.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #90

l will be leaving in the morning from Melbourne, FL driving to Cincinnati, OH to pick up my new 321RES! Also, our camping buddies will be going with me to pick their new 321RES as well. We can't wait!!! I would like to thank everyone on this thread for the heads up on the known issues of this trailer. My friend has made a list of the known problems and we have forwarded it to the dealer - Colerain RV (aka wholesalervclub.com) - in Ohio that these will be some of things that we will be looking specifically at for problems. I'm hoping that these issues have been addressed before we arrive on Thursday. I'll let you know!

Jimmie

https://www.freygaritaville.com
Jimmie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #91

Good Luck Jimmie!!! Let us know how it goes... You will not be disappointed. Yes, there are kinks to work out BUT that's anything in life. Enjoy!!!
ScoobySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #92

Canman -- Do your research with the Delivery Fee. Pete's wanted to charge me around $1,500 to deliver to my house. I thought that was VERY high so I put an ad on uship.com and got lots and lots of lower offers. I showed my salesman the lower offers and surprise, surprise, the transport fee came down to about half of what he quoted me. My boyfriend says I'm the ultimate hussler BUT it's my money and I'm NOT just going to give it away. Everything is negotiable!!!! :-)
ScoobySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #93

Forest River Owners Club
That's the way it is with everything with Pete's. They throw out large numbers on everything but the unit hoping you are so wowed by their sale price that you don't question anything else. They're hoping you think that if their price on the unit is low, then the accessories, delivery, etc. must be too and never check. Sue, you aren't the hustler. They are...........
Old 08-19-2011, 03:21 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobySue View Post
Canman -- Do your research with the Delivery Fee. Pete's wanted to charge me around $1,500 to deliver to my house. I thought that was VERY high so I put an ad on uship.com and got lots and lots of lower offers. I showed my salesman the lower offers and surprise, surprise, the transport fee came down to about half of what he quoted me. My boyfriend says I'm the ultimate hussler BUT it's my money and I'm NOT just going to give it away. Everything is negotiable!!!! :-)
Thanks, I'll check out that site and see what I can dig up. They are quoting me over $1k as well so hopefully they will be receptive.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #95

Well....We've have picked up our 321RES' and are very happy with our decisions!!! We arrived at Colerain RV an hour early and they were very accommodating as we were PDI'ing 2 321's. We went through mine first and checked everything out and then checked out my friends 321. A couple of minor things to take care of but nothing major......so far . We checked some of the things that were mentioned here and they were like..."how did you know to check that"...(ie, black tank flush) - read that on-line! We are currently camped out at a KOA in Codele, GA checking things out....so far so good. Can't wait to take the Cougar on an official "shake-down" trip in a couple of weeks to Sanibel Island near Ft. Myers, FL over the Labor Day weekend. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #96

Made it back to Melbourne, FL this afternoon around 2:00pm and got the 321RES to its new home successfully! The DW loved it!!! She had to work and could not go with me to Cincinnati to pick up the trailer Tomorrow I start loading her up with all of our "stuff" to get ready for our Sanibel Island trip in 2 weeks.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #97

Oh and I already put a scratch in it!!! I had to pull a tight u-turn in some gas station and didn't notice it until the next day while hooking up to leave the KOA we were at. What a bummer...but now it has its first scratch. I think I can fix it though - didn't crack the fiberglass so that was good.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #98

Jimmie2.....CONGRATULATIONS on your new trailer. Let us know how your trip goes.
We also had a scratch on each corner from making sharp jack knife turns. But we have a bed cover that is about 4 inches high which doesn't help.
Keep an eye on your mattress...ours sags. And also when your table is in against the sink cabinet you might want to put a towel on the edge to keep it from bumping as you go down the road. We have a spot about the size of a nickel. I touched it up but now we just keep a towel in place.
We've also noticed a leak when it rains on the right side outside compartment door. Guess it just needs some better weather strip put on it....one more thing to get fixed when we take it in for the other items that need attention.
Now we're having trouble with the Huskey Centerline hitch that was suppose to keep us from trailer sway...not!! One more thing to get checked. But....we love our trailer.
Good luck and have fun!
iluvcamping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland, kz-rv