Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #1009

Having started this thread a few years back I have always enjoyed reading the information that everyone puts here. It is very helpful. Now I need some input. We have the 2012 321RES and I noticed around August of this year that our front cap is also fading. The decals still look ok. I would guess it is the gel coating. I've notice a few of the others on this forum have the same problem. Has anyone contacted Keystone about this? I know ours is out of warranty but this problem is ridiculous for a trailer that's not quite 2 years old. I looked on Keystone's website but they don't have an email address that I can find. I took pictures of our front cap to be able to show proof. It isn't caused by lack of waxing. There are a few very small spots that look like the gel coating is still there but you have to look sideways and in the sun to see it. Just wondering.....
iluvcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #1010

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcamping View Post
Having started this thread a few years back I have always enjoyed reading the information that everyone puts here. It is very helpful. Now I need some input. We have the 2012 321RES and I noticed around August of this year that our front cap is also fading. The decals still look ok. I would guess it is the gel coating. I've notice a few of the others on this forum have the same problem. Has anyone contacted Keystone about this? I know ours is out of warranty but this problem is ridiculous for a trailer that's not quite 2 years old. I looked on Keystone's website but they don't have an email address that I can find. I took pictures of our front cap to be able to show proof. It isn't caused by lack of waxing. There are a few very small spots that look like the gel coating is still there but you have to look sideways and in the sun to see it. Just wondering.....

We have loved this link and Thank you for the start!! Sorry to hear of this issue, how or where did you notice this?? Ours is one of the first 2011's and I'll check it out! I may sell out if this is occurring..
dgrant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #1011

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
PS.. It has been awful quiet this fall on this link! Bummer!! Love hearing from you all!
dgrant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #1012

The only direct contact I've had with Keystone on our 321RES was with
Jim Mac . His email address is : <macji@keystonerv.com>
Possibly he can help you. He was a great help with my questions back in May.

Good luck,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #1013

We first noticed the cap getting a dull finish a couple months ago and it was almost instantaneous. The cap on the Cougar was so shiny that you could see yourself in it...like a good car paint job. The sides are still in good shape. We didn't use our trailer for a few months this summer and when we went to get it from storage we noticed it didn't look the same.
Your right...it's been a while since anyone has posted anything here about the 321RES. We love our trailer but are very disappointed about the paint on the cap. Ours is now put 'to sleep' for the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0624.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	49638   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0622.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	49639  

Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #1014

We have the same problem with ours. I used a power buffer the first time and found that doing it by hand for the first two feet from the top while laying down on the roof worked best. I used a mild rubbing compound and then a liquid wax. I now only need to wax about every month and just the first two feet from the top.

I have a question: Has anyone installed the second air conditioner in the bedroom of their 321? if so what kind and where did you get it from?
jim labowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #1015

Anyone installed a Second air conditioner in bed room.

I have a question: Has anyone installed the second air conditioner in the bedroom of their 321? if so what kind and where did you get it from?
jim labowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #1016

Jim, I don't have a 321, we went a different route, but when we were looking at them, I asked about getting a second unit in the bed room. it is possible if the unit is pre wired for the A/c. if you have the 50 amp unit it may be pre wired from the factory. a small unit such as a 13K may be a little big or over kill unless you camp in very hot country. the cost I was quoted was $2000 but that was with two remote control power fans in the living area and the bath room. which I thought was very reasonable.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #1017

Jim, DW corrected me, the quote was $1600 for all that.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #1018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim labowsky View Post
We have the same problem with ours. I used a power buffer the first time and found that doing it by hand for the first two feet from the top while laying down on the roof worked best. I used a mild rubbing compound and then a liquid wax. I now only need to wax about every month and just the first two feet from the top.

Our 2012 321 came from the factory pre-wired and framed for the bedroom A/C. We purchased the trailer from Camping World and had them install the 13.5 BTU unit as a part of the deal. I think it was around $1100 installed with a matching black shroud. Works great but, we found that leaving the bedroom door open causes the main A/C to short cycle due to the thermostat being right there in the hallway. Closing the bedroom door and opening both bathroom doors seems to have solved that problem.
Clayhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #1019

Tweety's had Dometic Air Conditioners for just over $600 with free shipping. If your 321RES is pre-wired for the 2nd A.C. then get a strong friend to help you get it to the roof. Remove the existing vent- clean off the caulking- and drop the new A.C. right in..
Dometic Brisk Air II Air Conditioner - 13,500 and 15,000 BTU Models Available

Good luck & Happy Trails,
Old 11-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #1020

Well Keystone owners....we contacted Keystone and sent the pictures of the disappearing gel coat on the front cap of our 2012 321RES and were just told that they 'reviewed' our complaint and decided that they wouldn't do anything about it. Yes, it is out of warranty but you would think their paint job would last more than 1 1/2 years. So much for their quality control. I don't know about the other years of this model but stay away from this year if the front paint doesn't look right. They don't care.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcamping View Post
Well Keystone owners....we contacted Keystone and sent the pictures of the disappearing gel coat on the front cap of our 2012 321RES and were just told that they 'reviewed' our complaint and decided that they wouldn't do anything about it. Yes, it is out of warranty but you would think their paint job would last more than 1 1/2 years. So much for their quality control. I don't know about the other years of this model but stay away from this year if the front paint doesn't look right. They don't care.
=================================
Just a thought.
Why not contact a fiberglass boat dealer close by and talk to them about your cap. Boats need cleaning & polishing each year due to being in the water so long. Maybe they have a recommendation.
Good luck,
Old 11-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #1022

Thanks, Billb....good idea. Just disappointed in Keystone but such is life, I guess.

Tags
heartland, kz-rv