Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #491

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcamping View Post
Taken...thanks! We're going to buy ours at Etrailer....(local .com company) and my thinking is that if I have 'problems' I can always take it back and yell at them : ) ! You're also right...they want $69 @ hr but the rv dealer wants $110. I've read on this thread where some with sway issues after buying the Equalizer have had to do a lot of adjusting and I'm trying to get away from anything that has to do with 'sway'! Sounds like you think the E4 1200# hitch will do the job. I don't know if getting the next size up would help.
One reason why I think you didn't have any problems with sway is the size of your truck...you could pull a house ; )
I may have enough power to pull a house, but my truck is still a short wheel base. Power has no effect on sway, so I may get there faster, but I'll sway as much as the next guy with a bad setup. Yes, the 1200 system is plenty. Like I said, I had 1300 on the tongue and had zero issues. As to the 1400 bars being stiffer, that is true. However they are oversized for our trailers and will transfer more shock from the trailer to the truck on bumpy roads. The bars are designed to flex based on the trailers weight. I'm very surprised that a tech at Equalizer would upsell to the 1400 system on a trailer weighing what the 321 does. It's the polar opposite of what they told me to do and when I asked, they actually advised me against it. I can't tell you who's adviser was right, I can only tell you the 12k worked flawlessly for me and is doing so for it's new owner as well.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #492

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Yes, the foam can be a pest with what I recommended but with some wiggling the wings open. You just need a large enough hole to make it work which should not be an issue as you are mounting something large enough in front of it to cover it. A sheetrock screw will pull out very quickly from travel vibration as well as pressure from grabbing keys and putting them back.

Taken, have you ever tried to pull a coarse thread screw out of the wall? It's really difficult and join it with a couple of its friends, it's not going anywhere.

On my sailboat, when we'd mount hardware on the deck, I would drill a hole, then take nail bend it at right angle, put it in a drill and haug out the divinacell foam core then fill it with epoxy, when it cured I'd re-drill the hole and screw the item down.

What you're proposing would only apply pressure to back of the 1/8" plywood at an angle and would tear out as you tighten it due to dynamic force. Keep in mind that he was suggesting hanging a key box. How much could that weigh and if you really want to keep it there forever, just smear on some construction adhesive.
heatkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #493

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatkits View Post
Taken, have you ever tried to pull a coarse thread screw out of the wall? It's really difficult and join it with a couple of its friends, it's not going anywhere.

On my sailboat, when we'd mount hardware on the deck, I would drill a hole, then take nail bend it at right angle, put it in a drill and haug out the divinacell foam core then fill it with epoxy, when it cured I'd re-drill the hole and screw the item down.

What you're proposing would only apply pressure to back of the 1/8" plywood at an angle and would tear out as you tighten it due to dynamic force. Keep in mind that he was suggesting hanging a key box. How much could that weigh and if you really want to keep it there forever, just smear on some construction adhesive.
Actually I'm a contractor and have seen tons of coarse rock screws pull with daily use/vibration when installed in something as thin as sheetrock or laminate. Happens all the time. No, an anchor wouldn't pull out at all. That's what it was designed to do. Distribute the pressure on an area larger than the 1 to 2 threads that would catch on a rock screw. And adhesive? OMG, next time you're on here why don't you advise people to use duct tape. LOL. That's really hacker talk...
Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #494

failed motor

Has any one had a slide motor fail yet?

On our THIRD TIME OUT camping the main slide motor failed!!!

Talk about being pissed!! we were about 3 hrs from heading out, I was closing up the camper and the main slide was 1/2 way in when it stop moving and would just humm.............

I wasnt about to haul it to the dealer on a friday, we would never made it to camp, they wouldnt have looked at it till monday.

I got under the camper only to find that the ENTIRE bottom is covered with a hard plastic boarding and NO, NONE, ZERO access to ANYTHING. So I had to slice it open with a razor blade to make a smooth cut (knowing I would have to pout it back together.

After gaining access to the motor I removed it and with the remote I activated the motor, motor worked, gear box dosent. I opened the gear box only to find PLASTIC GEARS!!! YES PLACTIC!! how damn STUPID is this? the gears were STRIPPED smooth!! Remember this was only the 3rd time we have taken it out, well we were on our way to our 3rd.

You could see where the gears had been grinding away, there were shavings everywhere inside the gearbox. I dont know if this one was just not put together well, or they all will do this eventually, but Im damn glad I got a 7 yr extended warrenty!! these things are 345$

I took the motor to my dealer where I bought the camper and they know me well there, they know Im a helicopter technician, so they had no issue with me removing the unit, or replacing it. They swapped me out for a new motor and gearbox (its an assembly) and I was headed back home.

did the swap, tested, and closed up the bottom covering, and we headed out to camp!! only 3 hrs behind (took and hr each way to dealer)

PLASTIC GEARS pretty sorry!! some may say its designed in so that other things wont get dammaged and the plastic gears take the brunt, well a simple micro switch for full out and full in would cut the power to the motor. Its a poor design, and at 345$ a pop its a rip off!!! I can promiss you this, when my 7 yr warrenty get close to drop dead, Im going to have 3 new motors
martyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #495

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyf View Post
Has any one had a slide motor fail yet?

On our THIRD TIME OUT camping the main slide motor failed!!!

Talk about being pissed!! we were about 3 hrs from heading out, I was closing up the camper and the main slide was 1/2 way in when it stop moving and would just humm.............

I wasnt about to haul it to the dealer on a friday, we would never made it to camp, they wouldnt have looked at it till monday.

I got under the camper only to find that the ENTIRE bottom is covered with a hard plastic boarding and NO, ZERO access to ANYTHING. So I had to slice it open with a razor blade to make a smooth cut (knowing I would have to pout it back together.

After gaining access to the motor I removed it and with the remote I activated the motor, motor worked, gear box dosent. I opened the gear box only to find PLASTIC GEARS!!! YES PLACTIC!! how damn STUPID is this? the gears were STRIPPED smooth!! Remember this was only the 3rd time we have taken it out, well we were on our way to our 3rd.

You could see where the gears had been grinding away, ther were shavings everywhere inside the gearbox. I dont know if this one was just not put together well, or they all will do this eventually, but Im damn glad I got a 7 yr extended warrenty!! these things are 345$

I took the motor to my dealer where I bought the camper and they know me well there, they know Im a helicopter technician, so they had no issue with me removing the unit, or replacing it. They swapped me out for a new motor and gearbox (its an assembly) and I was headed back home.

did the swap, tested, and closed up the bottom covering.

PLASTIC GEARS pretty sorry!! some may say its designed in so that other things wont get dammaged and the plastic gears take the brunt, well a simple micro switch for full out and full in would cut the power tot he motor. Its a poor design, and at 345$ a pop its a rip off!!! I can promiss you this, when my 7 yr warrenty get close to drop dead, Im going to have 3 new motors

I'm betting the cover story will be weight reduction to go along with their "Helium Technology." Whatever the excuse, it's not acceptable.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #496

Quote:
Actually I'm a contractor and have seen tons of coarse rock screws pull with daily use/vibration when installed in something as thin as sheetrock or laminate. Happens all the time. No, an anchor wouldn't pull out at all. That's what it was designed to do. Distribute the pressure on an area larger than the 1 to 2 threads that would catch on a rock screw. And adhesive? OMG, next time you're on here why don't you advise people to use duct tape. LOL. That's really hacker talk...
So, you're a contractor, well that explains a lot.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #497

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
So, you're a contractor, well that explains a lot.
What explains more is that you are a moronic troll who has contributed nothing to this thread. Got back from whence you came and leave the grown folks alone.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #498

Here's a pic of the new TT & TV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-16 16.59.28.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	20117  
Clayhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #499

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayhammer View Post
Here's a pic of the new TT & TV
Looks great and matches your TV well!!! Congrats.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #500

Quote:
What explains more is that you are a moronic troll who has contributed nothing to this thread. Got back from whence you came and leave the grown folks alone.
Wow, that's some response... You act that way when someone respectfully disagrees on how to mount a simple key rack. Of course you're right, this is your forum and only your opinions are right. How could I insult you in such a way as offer an opposing opinion. I bow to your superior knowledge and will never post on your forum again...
Old 04-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #501

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Wow, that's some response... You act that way when someone respectfully disagrees on how to mount a simple key rack. Of course you're right, this is your forum and only your opinions are right. How could I insult you in such a way as offer an opposing opinion. I bow to your superior knowledge and will never post on your forum again...

Wow, you give me a slap by saying that being a contractor "explains a lot" and then don't like it when you get one back. You were the one who got defensive when I disagreed with you and threw out a sarcastic reply, not the other way around. You get what you give my friend. This certainly isn't my forum and I don't even own a 321 anymore. I just come here because I was one of the first to have one and solved a lot of problems that new owners may be having. Therefor, I hope to save others the aggravation I went through starting from scratch. Bottom line is you didn't insult me by offering an opposing opinion. You insulted me with your contractor comment. And by the way, I would think a contractor of 20+ years would have a lot of problem solving experience with a rolling house. What might you do for a living that makes my job and the knowledge I've acquired doing it so insignificant?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #502

Quote:
Wow, you give me a slap by saying that being a contractor "explains a lot" and then don't like it when you get one back. You were the one who got defensive when I disagreed with you and threw out a sarcastic reply, not the other way around. You get what you give my friend. This certainly isn't my forum and I don't even own a 321 anymore. I just come here because I was one of the first to have one and solved a lot of problems that new owners may be having. Therefor, I hope to save others the aggravation I went through starting from scratch. Bottom line is you didn't insult me by offering an opposing opinion. You insulted me with your contractor comment. And by the way, I would think a contractor of 20+ years would have a lot of problem solving experience with a rolling house. What might you do for a living that makes my job and the knowledge I've acquired doing it so insignificant?
Why of course you're right... My 45 years of being an HVAC contractor means nothing compared to a "Contractor". Just keep in mind the question was about hanging a key rack/box not a safe. You're 5/8" holes and toggle bolts sure are the only way to hold it on the composite wall. As for the construction adhesive, that's the way a lot of cabinets are held on the walls, but you knew that with your superior knowledge. Then again you also know once you apply the adhesives there is no going back.

I hope you're planning on coming up here to NH this summer, we really need you to tell us the way it ought to be done.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #503

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Why of course you're right... My 45 years of being an HVAC contractor means nothing compared to a "Contractor". Just keep in mind the question was about hanging a key rack/box not a safe. You're 5/8" holes and toggle bolts sure are the only way to hold it on the composite wall. As for the construction adhesive, that's the way a lot of cabinets are held on the walls, but you knew that with your superior knowledge. Then again you also know once you apply the adhesives there is no going back.

I hope you're planning on coming up here to NH this summer, we really need you to tell us the way it ought to be done.
HVAC? LOL. You guys are the ones who think the sun rises and sets just to illuminate your precious licenses. NO, construction adhesive is NEVER used to hang cabinets. I don't get too personal with you guys though as your job is so easy, I can do it myself with no formal training. And I see you failed to acknowledge that you threw the first shot. I also see you have already broken your promise to stay away. You better just stick to sailing. I'm sure your boat is a beauty all thrown together with construction adhesive. As, far as being up in NH, oh I'd love to run into you. I'm not sure how I'd find you, but I think the aura of your arrogance would shine brightly from afar. I'm trying to figure out what made you this way. Did daddy not hug you enough... or maybe too much...

Wait, I found a video of you and your "professional" methods online! Your boat is at the end....

Old 04-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #504

Quote:
HVAC? LOL. You guys are the ones who think the sun rises and sets just to illuminate your precious licenses. NO, construction adhesive is NEVER used to hang cabinets. I don't get too personal with you guys though as your job is so easy, I can do it myself with no formal training. And I see you failed to acknowledge that you threw the first shot. I also see you have already broken your promise to stay away. You better just stick to sailing. I'm sure your boat is a beauty all thrown together with construction adhesive. As, far as being up in NH, oh I'd love to run into you. I'm not sure how I'd find you, but I think the aura of your arrogance would shine brightly from afar. I'm trying to figure out what made you this way. Did daddy not hug you enough... or maybe too much...

Wait, I found a video of you and your "professional" methods online! Your boat is at the end....

You've made my point, there's nothing more that needs to be said. You're a real asset to this forum.

Tags
heartland, kz-rv