Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #729

Solar on the 321!

We just completed a 200 watt solar panel install on our 321! We used the new Global Solar Energy PowerFLEX MOBILE kit which doesn't require any screws to hold the panels to the roof. I also like that they can't be seen from the ground due to their low profile.

We mounted the panels near the front and installed the charge controller in the front wall in the bedroom just above the dresser cabinet.

The system is working great and even making over 9 amps of charging current this time of year.

Off to the lake we go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3512.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	28590   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3523.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	28591  

Clayhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #730

Nice job!!!

https://www.freygaritaville.com
Jimmie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #731

Quote:
Originally Posted by thayer027 View Post
Has anyone located where the slide motors are located for the rear slides? The bedroom slide motor is under the bed mounted to the floor. I"m not having any issues, just would like to know for reference.
About a year ago I removed a piece of scrap underbelly material that had been screwed to the underbelly and used a box knife to cut a opening in the underbelly material so I could see into that area. As I recall the slide motors for both slides are pretty much side by side somewhat off center from the center of the trailer on the kitchen side. I went ahead and cut an opening so that the underbelly material could be folded back so the motors could be accessed if needed. I duct taped the underbelly material back to gather and screwed the scrap material over the opening so things are sealed up and I can access the area if needed in the future.

Grizz

TT 2012 Couger HC 321RES with Equal-i-zer Hitch
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #732

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayhammer View Post
We just completed a 200 watt solar panel install on our 321! We used the new Global Solar Energy PowerFLEX MOBILE kit which doesn't require any screws to hold the panels to the roof. I also like that they can't be seen from the ground due to their low profile.

We mounted the panels near the front and installed the charge controller in the front wall in the bedroom just above the dresser cabinet.

The system is working great and even making over 9 amps of charging current this time of year.

Off to the lake we go...
That is sweet! Our last trailer had four panels on the roof, these are sooo much cleaner looking! Loved those things, even on an overcast day we would be charging.. Do you have an inverter in the system for AC powered items?
dgrant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #733

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrant09 View Post
That is sweet! Our last trailer had four panels on the roof, these are sooo much cleaner looking! Loved those things, even on an overcast day we would be charging.. Do you have an inverter in the system for AC powered items?
No inerter yet but, we're looking at intalling a Magnum Inverter/Charger along with a sub-panel for the wall outlets and microwave.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #734

well, I just looked on you tube at the 2013 RES 321 and doesn't look like many changes in the 2013 and the 2012. We still haven't bought our new TT yet. I am a firm believer in buying only when the TT reaches out and grabs me by the wallet. and if Momma likes it enough to write the check. I have read all of the 54 pages on this TT and I would like to ask a few questions. I have written emails to a guy in the Keystone plane back east where they make these units about the slide motors stripping the plastic gears. No return email to confirm this. Oh I believe it has happened since it happened to someone on this forum. I think this is the biggest hold up on my part to buy this TT. I hate to be out somewhere and not able to bring in the slides. If I'm going to buy I have to do it soon, I'm getting to darn old to keep putting it off.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #735

Clayhammer - I have been thinking about going the solar panel route with an inverter and sub panel as well for some time now. Have you picked out an inverter yet? Did you do the install yourself?

Looking for any input you may have or part numbers to take a look at

Thanks
Jason
JMH1628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #736

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH1628 View Post
Clayhammer - I have been thinking about going the solar panel route with an inverter and sub panel as well for some time now. Have you picked out an inverter yet? Did you do the install yourself?

Looking for any input you may have or part numbers to take a look at

Thanks
Jason
I helped with the install of the solar panels and the charge controller. It's pretty simple on the 321 if you keep everything over the bedroom.

As far as an inverter/charger is concerned, I'm leaning towards the Magnum Energy MS2000 series. I don't really need 2000 watts of inverter but would like to run the microwave once in a while. I also want a "pure sine wave" output inverter so there are no issues with the TV or computer. I'll probably have a dealer install that.

www.magnumenergy.com

If I don't go with the 2000W unit, I'll probably just install a stand-alone inverter on the shelf in the bedroom closet and do it myself.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #737

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro View Post
well, I just looked on you tube at the 2013 RES 321 and doesn't look like many changes in the 2013 and the 2012. We still haven't bought our new TT yet. I am a firm believer in buying only when the TT reaches out and grabs me by the wallet. and if Momma likes it enough to write the check. I have read all of the 54 pages on this TT and I would like to ask a few questions. I have written emails to a guy in the Keystone plane back east where they make these units about the slide motors stripping the plastic gears. No return email to confirm this. Oh I believe it has happened since it happened to someone on this forum. I think this is the biggest hold up on my part to buy this TT. I hate to be out somewhere and not able to bring in the slides. If I'm going to buy I have to do it soon, I'm getting to darn old to keep putting it off.
I think you can run the slides in/out with a drill if there's ever an issue with the slide motor but, I'm not sure it would still work if the problem was with the gear.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #738

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayhammer View Post
I think you can run the slides in/out with a drill if there's ever an issue with the slide motor but, I'm not sure it would still work if the problem was with the gear.
Our trailer came with two small flexible extensions, about 12" long, that I yet to have figured out what they are for.. Bet that is it..
dgrant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #739

I am preparing to install a battery charger/conditioner on my 321RES. First I need to determine if the on board inverter still feeds a charging circuit to the batteries when the battery cutoff switch is activated. The battery cutoff switch is the standard switch located on the left side of the front pass-through storage. With the battery cutoff switch activated, the power tongue jack and slide-out motors still function, but nothing else.

During your work on your fantastic solar panel installation did you happen to determine if the battery cutoff switch disables the 12 volt charging circuit from the inverter to the batteries?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #740

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
I am preparing to install a battery charger/conditioner on my 321RES. First I need to determine if the on board inverter still feeds a charging circuit to the batteries when the battery cutoff switch is activated. The battery cutoff switch is the standard switch located on the left side of the front pass-through storage. With the battery cutoff switch activated, the power tongue jack and slide-out motors still function, but nothing else.

During your work on your fantastic solar panel installation did you happen to determine if the battery cutoff switch disables the 12 volt charging circuit from the inverter to the batteries?
That's a good question! I haven't figured out exactly what's disconnected with the switch off. The solar panel charge controller is wired directly to the batteries so it bypasses the disconnect switch. I guess whomever figures it out first can post an answer.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #741

New 321

We go pick up our new 2012 cougar321res. It requires 50 amp serivice but only has one 15000 btu airdconditioner. Does any one run their
321 at home off of a standard 120v 30 amp outlet. I ask only because I want to hook it up at home to keep the batteries up and the units polor package on. We live near Austin Texas. Thanks.
jim labowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #742

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim labowsky View Post
We go pick up our new 2012 cougar321res. It requires 50 amp serivice but only has one 15000 btu airdconditioner. Does any one run their
321 at home off of a standard 120v 30 amp outlet. I ask only because I want to hook it up at home to keep the batteries up and the units polor package on. We live near Austin Texas. Thanks.
The 50 Amp is only to allow you to run a second AC if you decide to do so in the future. 30 amp will be fine running one.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland, kz-rv