Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:27 AM   #1

Grand Junction question, city water flange/riser tube

I have a 2008 Grand Junction 35TMS that currently houses my Mom. She'll be in for a year or so as a last resort to get her out of a crappy situation. I'm really doing my best with it so far.

I am at my wits' end with the city water connection leaking, inside and out, and Google just make simple direct inquiries harder lol.

We were using a Camco heated hose, which is heavier than sin, and eventually stressed the original B&B city water connection to start leaking into the little compartment. We learned the hard way that the 2 piece 'drain-thru to underneath' pipe was separated in the middle and allowed the leaking water to 'drain' into the storage belly via the carpet wicking.

This is the piece that leaked originally, where the swiveling fitting attaches to the water hose, part of the actual 'flange.'

I ordered a replacement flange, same brand same size, and it no longer leaks at the flange itself. Now it leaks on both ends of the 18" 'supply riser' tubing between the flange connection and the interior plumbing. It's rigid as all heck and was awkwardly placed to begin with, with a lot of tension. It was tugged and jostled a bit I'm sure while finding and fixing the first issue. You can see where I circled the new leak points. Both seem to be where the metal on the tube meets the plastic female pieces.

The interior end has a 90 degree elbow.

This is the label from the piece of tube itself.

I can see this Midtec Inc. went out of business, and maybe for good reason?

If I were to call a local hardware, what would I ask for to replace that tube? I ask for your pity in helping me with terminology for exactly what I need. Thank you!
FourCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2020, 06:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
since the label says FIP (female iron pipe threads) you should be able to convert to pex. You can get everything you need (fittings, crimps, crimping tool, tubing) for that at Home Depot and make your own replacement part.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:24 AM   #3

Have you tried replacing the washer/gasket inside that black nut on the flex tube?

Remove the old one....go to ACE Hardware and get new one.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:35 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Here’s a similar fitting but with different threads. If Old Biscuit’s idea doesn’t work for some reason, I would think you could find this in IP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	457116E6-1403-45FA-9BC4-497F404DB2BC.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	521.8 KB
ID:	280894  
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Have you tried replacing the washer/gasket inside that black nut on the flex tube?

Remove the old one....go to ACE Hardware and get new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Here’s a similar fitting but with different threads. If Old Biscuit’s idea doesn’t work for some reason, I would think you could find this in IP.
Thanks for the reply. I did goto ACE but the washers/gaskets were marginally different for whatever reason. I ended up buying a 24" faucet replacement tube with 1/2" female ends. It lacks the elbow and has a narrower inside diameter, but it works for the moment.

From the pic you posted, I'm ordering a length of tube and some of the connectors/crimp tool for the future.

I guess the extra force and jostling of the original riser tube, when messing with the first leaking flange, was just too much.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:13 AM   #6

It seems the faucet connector tube with 1/2" female ends will work for now.

I ended up replacing the city water flange connection, and the next piece in (riser tube). So far, so good. I still need to get a 90 degree elbow piece and a short extension hose to take the stress off of the city water connection itself. Those heated water hoses are rigid and heavy, such a pain.

Thanks for the input and suggestions folks

Tags
water