Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Keystone warranty - self service?

So, I'm about 1500 miles from home and have had some minor issues, but the issue that's bothering us is that we've lost 5 interior lights (LED).

They are 4.5" Lexan "Radiance" (PN 69240PPNS-15-3k). So we've lost about 50% of our interior lighting. The unit is under warranty - it's about 2 months old... But the standard means for exercising the warranty is returning it the the dealer at which you purchased it, leaving it for a few weeks, and letting them repair it... Which obviously won't work in this case.

Calling the dealer, I've sent them photos and offered to pre-pay and return the existing malfunctioning lights. They countered with taking it to a "local" dealer (2 hours away) - and calling that dealer, I'm asked the dreaded "did you buy it here" question.

So with a Keystone, is the only option to essentially self-warranty unless you're willing to drop it off at a dealer and wait whatever period it takes for that dealer to get to it, have a repair authorized, and get parts shipped?

This is probably a $120 issue, but seems like a manufacturer would be happy to not have to pay for labor..
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 05:51 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Montana warranty issue

I agree with you. The one thing I have learned over the last 6 months is that every bad posting about Keystone customer service and quality control is true.
Harshy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
To be clear, I haven't tried Keystone directly... But I know that they want us to go through the dealer.

What has your experience been?
Old 07-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
ITC covered the lights directly - so that's great for product support.
ITC also said it was a "known issue".... Why this hasn't gotten back to the manufacturer or dealer, I dunnno.. ITC said that they were aware of it due to consumers.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:38 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
High output LED lights are subject to internal thermal breakdown and failure if poorly cooled. They may not get hot to the touch like a halogen light but they get plenty hot down at the diode substrate where the thermal bonds are made to the heat sink material. RV ceiling lights don't require big honking heat sinks, but they need some way to bleed heat out of the diode module that works on the hottest days the camper will encounter.

Poor designs, shoddy manufacturing processes and lax or non-existent QC at some Chinese plants are usually the root cause. Not all Chinese medium to high lumen LED lights are junk. I've found that LEDs OEM'ed from CREE tend to be pretty reliable. I'd be interested in who ITC is using and if they're doing thermal stress as part of their acceptance testing. For that matter, the RV manufacturer might consider putting a sampling of these LED lights under some heat lamps to see how they hold up.
LUV2SKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #6

Sorry for your issues with your new camper. But this is why I did not buy from Keystone again; we had a 2010 a 318SAB Cougar.

We did buy a new 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL made by Forest River and they support the campers bought by their customers. I did an internet search and read reviews by other owners of Forest River products. The manufacture has shipped out LED lights and other items that have failed when on the road.

Jim
Old 07-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
New lights from ITC arrived today, so problem resolved minus installing them.

My dealer said they'd send 7 replacements last week (we've now lost 19), but I haven't heard back... I assume that's because they haven't received them from Keystone. And if Keystone ships the same part, it'll be the same problem.

Again, I'm not actually blaming Keystone here - I didn't approach them direct as I know that the initial point of contact should be the dealer. Likely I'll give them dealer a few more chances to fail at service (2 so far).
Old 07-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #8

Second negative post today I've read about Keystone's customer service. The whole "did you buy it here" is such BS. If a dealer asks me this question I tell them I'll never buy one from them for asking such a stupid question. The manufactures should stop this non sense ASAP, we pay way too much money for these RV's to be treated this way.

I just sold my Fuzion and we were very happy with it but I never had any real issues with it either and bought it used, about 1 year old. I'm about 80% sure right now we are going to try the Grand Designs Momentum. There's another thread on another forum about a crack on a 2014 Keystone Raptor. Known issue supposedly, but Keystone is refusing to fix it due to the unit being 5 months out of warranty. Ridiculous since it's obviously a defect and I don't understand why a company can't just do the right thing and fix their defaults. I know they all have their issues but how they are handled is what is important. I'll spend my money with a company that might help out with an issue though I'm not 100% convinced Grand Designs is a lot better.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:36 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
The light issue isn't a Keystone issue, it's an ITC issue. It's also impacted Winnebagos. The after the sale issue is a Keystone issue.

I don't know if the Grand Design is a better design, but in terms of actual customer service, Keystone has a well known legacy... So far I haven't needed factory support beyond lighting, so you take that risk - or you pay more for what is probably much better service. I know that on our *used* Jayco - Jayco would ship parts direct if we needed them.

My dealer eventually agreed to order 4 lights for me via remote. By the time they came in (to the dealer), we were on our way back.. and we had lost the rest of the lighting. In terms of why they couldn't be drop shipped to me - I'm not sure.

Tags
service