RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I have no doubt that many people are happy with their Cougar and I wouldn't discourage it as a "below average" or "poorly built" RV. And I completely agree with the above - if you've got an Atwood problem, it's common component across all sorts of brands. That's not a Keystone problem.

The difference, for me is a few things:
1) Keystone simply won't do direct support. If they do it in extenuating circumstances, I haven't experienced it - and I've had extenuating circumstances.

2) They will refer you to a dealer. In all likelihood - and in my experience - non-selling dealers will refuse to service or will provide a huge delay on service date if you didn't buy it there. This is a reality, IMHO likely because of how they pay for warranty work - it's better for the dealer to everything else first. It's probably also due to lack of enforcement - Keystone will allow them to continue to sell even if they won't honor warranty work for Keystone RVs that they didn't sell.

3) I don't think that Keystone customer service reps are particularly empowered. I've probably sent 5 emails to Keystone in a total of 14 months. Only 2 were answered/even acknowledged. I've had one follow up phone call in 14 months. We've had in-repair times now exceeding 90 days. That doesn't count waiting-for-service time and loss of use time.

I don't own a Cougar, but I do own a 2015 Keystone.

I think the RV is reasonably well built, minus a few things that need some significant (dealer or factory) sorting out. If those things get fixed, I'll be reasonably happy with the RV for the amount of money spent..

If after-the-sale service is a big deal to you, buy a Grand Design. It'll cost more. Their service reputation is excellent. Keystone's... Well, not so much...
We no longer own a Cougar as we recently traded it in on a LTV motorhome. I would like to say, however, that our Cougar dealer was great. Several minor warranty issues were addressed very quickly. We had one after the one-year warranty problem (Dometic toilet valve started leaking). It was still covered by the two year appliance warranty, and our dealer took care of it and got us a new toilet; we didn't have to do a thing other than sign the work order. Unfortunately, not everyone has such a good dealer/service department.
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #30

I have a 2015 Keystone Cougar 28 SGS. During the first year it was in the shop 14 times for 19 different problems. It spent 100 nights in the shop during the first year. Now 15 months later the floor is buckling. The dealer can't figure out why. We were thrilled at first with the floor plan and how easy it was to tow. A few minor problems to start. But each time we used it another problem would surface and an old problem would return. After six months it was a mess. Doors, windows, toilet, locks, entertainment system, a/c, furnace, battery, latches, leveling system, awning, and many more issues. CW could not keep it repaired fast enough. CW now recommends returning it to the factory since Keystone is the only place it can be repaired. BEWARE Keystone has the worst warrantee in the business and there is a reason.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #31

We have had our Cougar X-Lite SQB31 for a year now and have only had one problem that had to be fixed by the dealer. The main door lock froze. The dead bolt would not unlock (the key would not go all the way in). This was a pain since we could not get in through the rear door to the bathroom (the slide-in blocks the inside bathroom door from opening into the camper). We lucked out and the dealer was on the way for our long trip and was able to get us into the camper and replaced the lock under warranty. Any one else have lock problems? I now keep the remote in my truck so if the lock freezes up again, I can open the slide-out and go in through the bathroom door. Over all the unit has been great so far. Looking forward to another long trip this fall.
Chem E 1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #32

Yes Dale, our 2016 Cougar, all locks were extremley dry and hard to operate... A little WD40 fixed them....
Monkey

PS,,, over all we so far are very happy with our Cougar... Been back to the dealer once for maybe 6-8 things,,, most of which I could have "adjusted"... No biggy so far.... We are happy campers....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chem E 1978 View Post
My wife and I bought a 2016 Cougar XLite 31SQB this summer. So far just some minor problems. First time out, got to use both the AC and furnace, both worked fine. Do have a small water leak I need to track down, since the water pump kicks on for a few seconds in the middle of the night when no water is being used. Have found no wet spots, so most likely the toilet. The radio reception leaves a lot to be desired, I can get better reception on a handheld transistor radio. Other than that everything is fine so far.
My wife & I have a 2015 Cougar X- Lite 31sqb we bought new in late 2013. We haven't had any problems & the grand kids really enjoy it. We haven't used it that much due to health problems but we did go to Dauphin Island, Alabama & some places local. We live in Southeast Mo. The only thing we would like to change on the camper is to switch the love seat sleeper in the living room with 2 recliners but the space is so tight we're having trouble finding recliners that will fit.
Bobjsept53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:08 AM   #34

CW replaced or radio once and worked on the system 4 times.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:10 AM   #35

WD40 draws dust. Use silicone spray. It works much better.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Yes Dale, our 2016 Cougar, all locks were extremley dry and hard to operate... A little WD40 fixed them....
Monkey....
Monkey, WD 40 isn't all that great for a long term fix. It'll dry up and make moving parts sticky. Lithium grease aka garage door grease works long term. WD 40 is great to break things loose or clean things. I work on electric door strikes, turnstiles and the like and have sent WD 40 used alot and cause issues. just my $0.02.

Peace
Bruce
Old 07-31-2016, 07:06 PM   #37

Just purchased a 2016 Cougar 333MKS from CW Savannah. I am pleasantly surprised in the quality of this unit. This is my 4th RV but the first one over 20 feet long and the most expensive. Does it have sticky locks and such, sure does. But I expect such things. We have been out in it for only 4 nights and everything works like it should. Refrigerator takes 6 - 8 hours to cool down, AC takes 3 hours to bring the temperature to 75 degrees when its 95 degrees outside, TV works great (granddaughters wanted to know where the TV guide was), hot water heater keeps up with back to back showers, and it is twice as fast to set up as a popup!

It's all relative. I came from popup, to low priced 20 foot TT to this Cougar and have been reading this forum since May of this year. I am very satisfied with this unit. Now as for CW, I'll just say that after the sale, their service department moved as slow as molasses on a 32 degree day. I did get into their shop and not a bay was open. Very busy. Nuff said.

Peace
Bruce
Old 09-02-2017, 04:46 AM   #38

We purchased the Cougar X-Lite 25RES earlier this year and so far are very pleased with the quality of the unit & service from the dealer. We've experienced a few minor problems, nothing unexpected, getting ready for our first cross country trip.
Bud03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:37 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud03 View Post
We purchased the Cougar X-Lite 25RES earlier this year and so far are very pleased with the quality of the unit & service from the dealer. We've experienced a few minor problems, nothing unexpected, getting ready for our first cross country trip.
Good luck on your big trip! We had great luck with our 2016 Cougar 5er the 16 months we had it. Bought new and never a problem. Trader it in on a 43' Montana. Hope for it to be just as trouble free!
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:21 AM   #40

One thing I just found that you all might want to look at, (Not Cougar specific) are the tail lights. One year old and I found a bulb very corroded. The red lens just snaps on, and there is no gasket, so it leaks. The factory did fine sealing the base to the trailer, but whoever made these lights, (used on other rv's as well) has a poor design. I cleaned up the socket, new bulb, and a thin silicon (clear) sealer around the lens. (outside) that will allow easy removal for bulb replacement.
Monkey
Old 09-05-2017, 02:47 AM   #41

Monkey - I appreciate the heads up, something that I'll check during my annual maintenance checks. This is our first RV & we can use all information that's available, one reason why I've been pouring over these forums. Thanks
Bud03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud03 View Post
Monkey - I appreciate the heads up, something that I'll check during my annual maintenance checks. This is our first RV & we can use all information that's available, one reason why I've been pouring over these forums. Thanks
Bud, you are very welcome. This place is great for gaining info and tips ! I have learned bunches,,, and still am.. One more thing to possibly add to your annual list is wheel bearings... A sometimes forgotten item,, but of course Extremely important ! I just pulled ours, inspected and repacked after one year and approx 5000 miles. I feel better knowing... Anything else you have questions about, just ask.
Monkey