Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:27 PM   #1

Looking For Other Cougar Owners

OK folks, I am a newbie to the RV world. We looked at several units and decided on a Keystone Cougar 21RBS. It's only my wife and I so we didn't need anything real big. After walking thru the unit, it just looked like higher quality than the others. The dealer experience was a NIGHTMARE but we loved the unit. We picked up our unit and took it home...15 mile trip. Excited about our purchase, couldn't wait to open it up, get it loaded at take it on our first trip. Opened the door and the wooden panel from the fridge was laying in the floor. We could not get it to reattach, so we thought we will call the dealer when we get home. Got to our site and got set up. Went pretty smooth. Around 9:00 pm we get a knock on the door. A neighbor noticed we have water pouring out of the fresh water hook up area. It was coming from the fresh water overflow. We had the selector set on city water but water was coming out the overflow. Tried switching the valve several times did not correct the issue. Switched to the fresh water tank and turned off the water connection, the problem stopped.

OK we get home and called the dealer. Told the service guy about the the fridge door and he said "Yeah we know about those doors coming off never had one happen so soon." I told him about the water valve, an again said "Yeah we have had to replace a lot of those."

My question is how many other owners have ran into this and what else do I have to be prepared for?
jroland61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Keystone problems

My wife and I bought a Keystone Montana last Spring and began RV living full time. Our new unit came from the factory with interior damage due to closing the kitchen slide out on open cabinet doors on the kitchen island. The Kichen slide scratched the linoleum floor every time it was opened and closed. The dealer fixed these problems before delivery. We thought that would be the end of it; however, the night mare had just begun.
The first cold night, we turned on the furnace and it promptly blew a fuse. It has taken the better part of 6 months to get this resolved by Atwood, our dealer, and Keystone. In fact the fix is just a work around by installing a "slow blow" ignition type fuse. Time will tell if this works.
The kitchen slide started,scratching the floor, cutting sown to the wood sub floor.
We just got it back from the dealer and the first time we opened the slide it scratched the new floor.
And the list goes on. Their are several other manufacturing defects that have been repaired under warranty. I won't bore you with the entire list.
Anyone who is considering buying any product made by Keystone, should think twice about it. I would never buy another Keysone product.
Harshy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #3

Well heck....I have a totally different perspective on Keystone Cougars. Plus we have an outstanding dealer. Had an 07 Cougar TT and only time it was in the shop was for the fridge recall. Sure there were minor things that needed attention that I could fix, but overall it was a fantastic TT for the 7 yrs we owned it.Then we decided to downgrade & we ordered a 14 Cougar Xlite 26sab 5er that we could pull with our little mickey mouse 150 HD ecoboost. One came in before ours was even started to being built so they offered it to us. It had several expensive upgrades from what we ordered so we looked at it & DW liked it & we got it for the same price. They said they'd get it ready for us and a week later we did our PDI. Now here's the kicker....Temp was in the low teens (February). We spent pertnear 2 hrs going over eveerything. With temps so low we decided to to de-winterize it to check the water system out. They assured me it was checked when they got it ready. Took our chances that it was all good. But did get it in writing that come spring when I did de-winterize it, if there was any problems with it they would fix it. Well we have owned it now for about 20 months and aside from general maintenance & a few minor fixes and the many mods I have done to it...it has been an FANTASTIC 5er. No complaints here.
campnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #4

My wife and I bought a 2016 Cougar XLite 31SQB this summer. So far just some minor problems. First time out, got to use both the AC and furnace, both worked fine. Do have a small water leak I need to track down, since the water pump kicks on for a few seconds in the middle of the night when no water is being used. Have found no wet spots, so most likely the toilet. The radio reception leaves a lot to be desired, I can get better reception on a handheld transistor radio. Other than that everything is fine so far.
Chem E 1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150613_194958.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	113786

Name:	20150531_123851.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	113787

Name:	20150702_165301.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	113788

Just got a Cougar 327RES 5'er last April
Love the layout, Had a shower door shatter on the first trip down the Highway
1 drawer on the back wall had bent rails. Bedroom door was misaligned. Dinette table mounted too close to the window, they fixed all the issues in 1 warranty service visit

Now I have 1 of my slam hatch basement door openers( little plastic POS they think will hold a big door ) they only installed 1 and it was misaligned so the twisting ripped the plastic up. But thats about it. It at our Deer Lease in West Texas but made a trip to Destin and Oklahoma the past summer and it performed well. Cant complain
Texascoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #6

Keystone Cougar XLite 29BHQ Trouble

We purchased a new 2015 Cougar in June of this year. After 6 camping trips we returned the unit for its 90 day check up at the servicing dealer. We had many issues during the first 90 days that we feel the manufacturer should warranty. Some issues were the rear power stabilizer jack would only work intermittently, the door latches would spin in complete circles, the awning had a leak directly above the entry door, the front roof to facia sealant had a large hole in it allowing water to leak inside, the exterior kitchen door was racked and installed crooked, the refrigerator door panel would constantly fall out during transport, the trim pieces in the bathroom fell off during the trip home from the dealer, the day/night shades detached from the wall the first time we tried to lower them, the front facia was peppered with rock chips from the delivery from the factory and many other issues you shouldn't expect from a brand new unit. We dropped off the unit on September 12 for the dealer to make necessary repairs. Needless to say, the dealer said that some items were warranty and some were owner maintenance issues. The dealer kept the unit until November 15 when they called to say it was ready for pickup. Arriving at the dealer we found that our brand new battery was completely dead and would not operate the power tongue jack even while connected to the truck. Dealer refused to replace the battery saying that they go dead all the time (not when you remove them for long periods of storage). After finally using a shop battery to hook up, we left with our unit. Once home I noticed the awning still leaked, the front facia wasn't repainted as promised, the door latches were still loose and the rear stabilizer still worked intermittently. The next day we took the unit back to the dealer and expressed our dissatisfaction with the length of time they held our unit (we missed several camping trips with friends and I missed deer hunting season with my father in law because of this). We politely demanded that the remaining issues be repaired and the dealer assured us that they would be. Here it is, late December and our unit is still at the dealer. They said they are "fighting with the warranty company to make repairs". Our brand new RV has now been in the hands of the dealer for 4 of the 6 months we have owned it. We are fed up with both the dealer and Keystone for all of the missed opportunities to use our unit and the costs we are paying to not have that usage (finance payment, storage facility, insurance etc.). We are at a loss as to what we should do. I'm thinking of contacting the Attorney General in Indiana and filing a formal complaint against Thor and Keystone and doing the same thing here in Michigan against the dealership. After reading some posts in this forum, it appears that we are not alone in the lack of customer service and product quality with this company.
Tundra53206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:08 AM   #7

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
2015 Cougar 29RLI 5th wheel

My wife and I purchased a 2015 Cougar 29RLI in Nov 2014. I have had one major and one minor issue. Soon after getting the rv I noticed one of the tires was always loosing air. Since unit is stored next to a tire shop I pulled it over for them to have a look at it. Turns out the tire had a plug in it. Took some pictures and sent them to the dealer. No issue received new tire from them. Second minor issue was with the pullout couch. My father-in-law was pulling the red blind down and kneeled on it while it was pulled out. When the MIL went to bed she ended up going through a bit. Turns out to save weight the couch manufacturer uses plastic strapping for support. Being retired Navy I used some 550 cord and replaced this with a cord mesh. Otherwise RV has been fantastic.
NavyDiver198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #8

well I certainly hope we have better luck as we pick up our new 2016 Cougar XLite 28SGS this coming Saturday. Will let you know.
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:29 AM   #9

We got our new 2016 Cougar 28 SGS home. So far we Love it !!! Had to fix one of the recliners, but no biggy. Only took a couple minutes. I'll be replacing the Trailer King tires before our first big trip (2500+ miles) with Maxxis tires just for some insurance.
I bought a surge protector due to all the extra electronics on this over our old mh. Also lubed the slide mech with a Dry slide lube. The book said it was 30' 10" long. Well it is really 31'4" .. But it fit in the garage,,, barely,,, thats all that matters. I'll post a couple pics as soon as I can outsmart this site as it turns them sideways... grrrr... Monkey

Oh ya,, I have a complaint... It takes all 4 keys to open the door, and storage compartments.. I could see 2 keys, one for the door, one for the storage doors.. But 3 keys for the storage ??? Come on !!! And the locks were so dry, it took a while to get them lubed (and figure what key works what) ....
Old 03-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #10

Congrats Monkey of your new 28SGS. You'll love it
We have its baby sister ...the Xlite 26sab. We're running Trailer Kings on it right now and have a little over 9,000 miles on em in the 2 years we've owned it. Not worried bout em as we always stay about 1200 lbs under the GVWR of the 5er. Have always run the OEM's so called "China Bombs" an all my RV's the first 3 or 4 years and have never had a problem. I will change em out for Maxxis when it's time.
It only takes us 3 keys. 1 or the entry door & 1 for the 2 side bay doors. The battery, propane & front bay doors I change from the 751 locks to and different lock #, so have only 3 keys to open all the doors.
Hope you enjoy many a trip with your new rig.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:15 AM   #11

Thankyou campnfool... We are looking forward to many a mile of good trips with this... We looked long and hard for floor plans that would fit us.... We have NO locks on the propane/battery doors.... Also another question,,, how do you keep someone from stealing the power cord ??? Ours is a plug in on the back of the trailer ....... Those 50 amp cords are not cheap.......
Old 03-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #12

Monkey,
I added a key lock to the bottom turn locks on both the propane & battery doors. I only lock em when in storage & when moving down the hiway. As far as the power cord, ours was a push in thru a mouse hole. 30 amp. I converted it to a plugin as there was not enough room in the little compartment for it after I installed the progressive EMS. In the 35+ years of RVing, we have never had anything stolen from our site or off the RV, but there's always a first time I guess. I've never really givin it much thought.

Milo
Old 03-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #13
Rp2

I have a 2010 Cougar 327-RES and would like to install a Fantastic Fan in the kitchen, my challenge is that the vent that is currently there is only a manual vent. Are these pre-wired for a motorized vent? How would one know? It is in the highest point in the ceiling so I would like to install the 7350 FF because it has a remote and is thermostatically controlled, my plan is to set it to come on and remove the heat during the day while I am away.

Next part of the question is if it is not pre-wired what would be the easiest solution to wire the 12v fan?

Thanks

Rob
Rp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #14

My wife and I have a 2015 Shadow Cruiser 225RBS which is nearly identical to the Cougar 21RBS and like you, we LOVE it! We've taken it out many times during the past year and found the floor plan to be perfect for the two of us. In the future, we're considering an upgrade to the new Cougar High Country 337FLS. I didn't see any comments about that specific model and wondered if it's just too early or if no one likes them? I'm a realist when it comes to dealers, but I'm disappointed with the number of comments about post-sale service. I thought Keystone made a pretty good product...
roadhawg is offline   Reply With Quote