Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #1

2002 Travel Supreme

I am looking at a 2002 Travel Supreme 40 Ft. for sale in my area tomorrow. It has the 400 hp Cummins, yet the NADA does not show one available. Also, I looked around on the internet to find PDF's of the older year brochures / spec sheets and could not find any, are there any out there ? Are there any items on these older years TS's that I need to be aware of ? I looked at NADA, but would also like some opinions of what this rig is worth.

Thanks in advance for all of your help !
bulldog2655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #2

bulldog

I have a 2003 - 40DS02 (3 slide).
I can tell you that in 2003 there was a 400HP Cummins Diesel, since it is in my coach. LOL

As far as brochures go, the best I can do for you is a 2004 brochure sent to me by one of the folks on this board. Send a PM with your email address if you want it.

Items that you need to pay attention to:
1. Front Ball Joint Boots. If cracked or broken, could mean replacement required soon.
2. Check the leveling system. If the coach airs up (on high idle, meaning the cruise control is activated and engine at 1000 rpm) in under 5 minutes, the air system is probably OK. You should hear it purge at around 120psi on the air 1 & 2 gauges.
3. Check the moisture ejectors. You need to go under the coach to see this. See if liquid is coming out when each ejector is tripped. If the liquid is Milky WHite, could mean a problem.
4. Referring to the above, ask when the Desiccant Filter was last changed. If over 3 years, could be bad. It's an $80.00 item from Spartan and 20 minute job to replace.
5. Check the caulking on the roof. Should not be cracked.
6. Obviously, check for water leaks (stains) inside the coach.
7. Check the Dash Air Conditioning. Ask if they installed a "manual shut off valve" for the hot water going into the mixing valve. It would be on the firewall in the generator compartment.

Those are the things I would be looking for, in addition to all the common sense things. Hope this helps.

I'm sure others will chime in about things they look for.

Drew
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
We have a 2002 TS 38'. We've had it for several years. We love ours. It had some surprises that I didn't see before purchase, but that happens. Check tire dates, 8 years max, look for sidewall cracks. Check battery ages, 6-8 yrs max. Look at the radiator fins, engine side, for signs of corrosion at the lower corners. Look at all areas outside for signs of rust & determine if it is a problem or not. Check for proper operation of all systems. Take it for a test drive to verify performance. Review all maintainence records. Air filter changed within 2 years? Look for any gaps between the inlet/outlet plate on the top of the plastic intake box just upstream from the air filter. Ours had a gap (plastic sagged over time) and it sucked water into the filter when driving in rain. Simple caulking fixed it. Need more details, send an email request.

Basically go through it with a fine tooth comb.

There were some units made with larger than normal engines. These units probably
were show models and may also have more features and options built into it.

Happy shopping.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
OK guys, help a rookie out and tell me where the water ejectors are located on a 2004 38DS04
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
I would call them air tank drains. These are the pull valves on your front air tanks that, when pulled, release the air from the tank. The internal spring will close the valve when you let go. Some RV manufactures provide a rope, cable, or chain to the edge (probably a wheel well area) of the coach so that you do not need to crawl under to pull the valve. I added it to ours, a simple routing of a nylon cord. That describes the manual relief valves. Your system may also have automatic ones, also on the front tanks, that open when water is present. Water should not be visible at either valve.

If there is water in the tank, an indication the dessicant filter is bad, a water mist will come out with the air. Water in the air system is bad as it allows rust to start in the brake system which can lead to brake failure, in extreme cases.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #6

The Moisture ejectors are located on the air tanks for the Air and Brake Systems. On my Spartan Chassis (the Mountain Master), the air tanks are located just behind the Front Wheels in the center of the chassis. On one tank there are 2 Moisture Ejectors, on the Other tank there is only One. The Tank with the 2 Moisture Ejectors is the "split tank". One side will be the "Wet" tank or Air Supply the other side is normally for the Rear Brakes. The tank with the Single Moisture Ejector is for the Front Brakes and Air System. The Moisture Ejectors on my coach are about 3 inches square.

If you haven't cleared them in a while, you should go under the coach (with jacks extended so the coach doesn't come down on you) and pull the valves to check for Moisture. A drop or two of liquid is kind of normal From the Supply side of the split tank. If the liquid is more than a drop or two and Oily or Milky White you definitely need to replace the Desiccant Filter or you could cause More Problems in the Air SYstem.

Hope this helps.

Drew
Old 05-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
The good news is all three air tanks appear to be dry! Has anyone extended the lanyards so they can be reached without crawlng under the coach? I had to put wooden blocks under the leveler legs to get it up high enough to crawl under.

The bad news is both of my ball joint covers are in terrible shape! Ended up applying grease with a needle nose grease gun and then safety wired a piece of leather around each of the old covers. Don't know how long it will last but it has to be better than what I had.
2023 F-150 Towed
Old 05-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #8

These are all questions I guess I should have asked BEFORE I bought my 2002 40DSO last fall! Checking now...

Christine
cupde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupde View Post
These are all questions I guess I should have asked BEFORE I bought my 2002 40DSO last fall! Checking now...

Christine
If it is a house that rolls down the bumpy roads it is going to require maintenance! I look at at like this: I don't have to look for ways to spend my time and money, I can invest them in my motorhome!
2023 F-150 Towed
Old 10-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #10

Where is the desiccant filter located?
How many are there?
Where would I get one?
AccessMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #11

Rear pass side.
One
rvchassisparts.com
Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #12

Access Master,
The Desiccant Filter is bolted to the Frame Rail behind the rear wheels on the passenger side. If you go under the coach near the front of the door to the battery compartment, there is enough space to almost sit there. You will need a wide nylon strap wrench to get the Desiccant Filter off.
Drew
Old 10-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #13

Hi, my wife and I just purchased a 2002 Travel Supreme motorhome. The deadbold on the door needs to be replaced but I'm having a hard time finding the exact one. I'm also looking to replace the rubber part that keeps the inside door attached to the main door. It's in the upper right of the photograph. I guess I could simply make it but I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get these exact parts...

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Steven D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #14

Motorhomes of Texas had the complete assembly for about $50.00 as I recall. I passed.
When we had our MCD blinds installed the installer made one out of 1/4" black plastic Lexan like material. It will last the life of the coach now. If you have an extra $5000 to $10,000 to spend, the MCD blinds are wonderful. I figure I own them a pat on the back for taking care of that pesky door flapper at no charge.
If you can tell me how you posted that picture I will send you a picture of our coach with the MCD blinds, new carpet, flat screen and all new upholstery.
AccessMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel