Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #1

2004 Travel Supreme 40DS03 General Questions

I'm looking to purchase a 2004 Travel Supreme 40DS03 and have a few questions and would like to pick the brains of the experts here.

1) Other than the known x-bracing issue are there any other major issues I need to ask the owner about?

2) The tires are marginally old and they agreed to pay for new tires. I'm clueless when it comes to tires in this category. I'd appreciate any advice for what to buy and what to avoid.

3) I will be taking it to be inspected prior to buying it. Any advice on reputable places in the Phoenix area that will do a comprehensive inspection for me?

4) I'm puzzled on why most of the 2004 40DS0's I've seen has the mid-coach flat screen AND a old tube TV over the front dash. What was the design reasoning for this? Would it be difficult to remove the front TV and mod the box to make a small cabinet?

I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks!
kjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Welcome to the forum and if you are like most of us you will LOVE the Travel Supreme. In response to you questions:

1) Other than the known x-bracing issue are there any other major issues I need to ask the owner about?

The X-bracing is the only real complaint/issue that I have ever read about with the TS line. It seems to be common on the larger rigs with the K2 chassis, but I have read posts about windshield problems on some of the smaller rigs (40'). I have a 38' Envoy (38DS04) without the x-bracing and have had no issues.

2) The tires are marginally old and they agreed to pay for new tires. I'm clueless when it comes to tires in this category. I'd appreciate any advice for what to buy and what to avoid.

I cannot help on where to buy. However, based on many reviews of RV owners who have replaced tires, this is the way I am leaning:

Michelin- Good tire but overpriced.
Goodyear - I would not buy because of the numerous complaints of wear problems (rivering).
Yokohama & Toyo - Seem to have many happy customers with competitive pricing. I have had great luck with both manufacturers on cars & trucks and will be looking in this direction when I replace mine soon.

Obviously there are many other tires available, but based on what I read, I'm limiting my selection to the above.

3) I will be taking it to be inspected prior to buying it. Any advice on reputable places in the Phoenix area that will do a comprehensive inspection for me?

Sorry, no help here.

4) I'm puzzled on why most of the 2004 40DS0's I've seen has the mid-coach flat screen AND a old tube TV over the front dash. What was the design reasoning for this? Would it be difficult to remove the front TV and mod the box to make a small cabinet?

Probably price and space limitations on the mid-coach TV. In the 04 time frame the flat plasma/LCD sets were still a bit expensive. A few years ago I replaced both my tube TV's (above the dash & bedroom) with LED sets. I did all the work myself in about two days. If you are an average wood worker, it is a DIY project. The hardest part is dealing with the removal of the dash set because of weight. I found a LED set that fit between the two side cabinet doors so I reduced the height of the existing TV cabinet and now everything is the same height across the dash. Since the replacement TV was only 1.5" thick, I surface mounted between the doors and it looks like a factory job. The only problem is the speakers in the new sets are in the back so I added a sound bar below the TV. The sound bar came with a wireless sub and sounds pretty good.

Good luck with the purchase and feel free to ask away,

Lou
05 TS Envoy
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #3

Thanks Lou, great information. I'll report back if I buy the rig and will ask more questions when them come up.

Keith
kjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #4

Hollar,

We just purchased a 2004 Travel Supreme 41 foot. We are in need of owners manuals but other then that when we purchased the RV I had some requests. I asked for New flat screeen Televisions. I asked for a NEW washer and dryer and then we hired a rv expert, he was a salesman/ at a large distribution center and also we hired a rv mechanic to do a inspection. We needed to have them replace the shower door. it was on rollers and not working well. From there we are thrilled. Other then our desperate search for owners manuals, past the 4 or five that were for individual items in the Travel Supreme we are VERY HAPPY. We as I said are desperate for some of the manuals. We would be glad to purchase some copies or whatever you may be able to help us with.

Thanks in advance and we hope all goes well with your purchase. We have found ourselves not able to travel an extended trip until after the Holidays. We are doing alot of research and we are planning on a 30 day or more trip starting on the 26th of December. Happy Trails, Lol. Look forward to meeting you one of our stops, 2nd on our list is to Sadona Arizonia. Maybe we could meet sometime, otherwise LOVING THE TRAVEL SUPREME.

Bob and Cindy
pushon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel