Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2020, 06:57 AM   #1

A small story with RV tips for winter

Hey Bill (Busskipper)...you're nearly famous!

There's a photo of your coach with a nearly-correct credit to your iRV handle for shooting it!

RV LIFE: Winter RVing Tips From Experienced Snowbirds - RV LIFE.
https://rvlife.com/winter-rving-tips/

Unfortunately, they don't quote you about anything.

Their loss, good buddy....

Doug!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Nice read thanks.
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #3

I was thinking "snowbirds" were those that fled cold weather and thus should have little advice to share about dealing with it. Could just be me. But anyway, a pretty good article. Some nice referrals to IRV2 in it too.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Hey Bill (Busskipper)...you're nearly famous!

There's a photo of your coach with a nearly-correct credit to your iRV handle for shooting it!

RV LIFE: Winter RVing Tips From Experienced Snowbirds - RV LIFE.
https://rvlife.com/winter-rving-tips/

Unfortunately, they don't quote you about anything.

Their loss, good buddy....

Doug!
Doug,

Thanks for the Shout Out on the Image - That Pic was taken in Golden, Colorado - Clear Creek RV Park - our favorite CG in the USA (with 4 granddaughter's just 12 miles away, sure helps). Image was shot after a early October Snow - I had to get out and shoot the Pic quickly, as the snow had all melted by 10:00.

On a side note - the Coach did spend three winters in that park - one year it was -17 for ten straight nights - freezing Clear Creek Solid. We left a week later and toured Utah and a little of Nevada for 4-6 weeks - was great! When we returned in Early February, the Creek still had Ice, maybe a Foot thick. Water was flowing and we did our walks in Short with the Locals - along the Creek. when the Sun shines in Golden it is usually Warm all year round.

Reading through the article - While I do have and have used a heated water hose - from experience, my advice is to only stay hooked up when it is not that cold, maybe mid twenty's at night to about 40's during the day. IMHO, and from experience of watching others just too much risk to stay hooked up. Fill your on board tank, it will be warmer and will not freeze. I cannot tell you how many people do not follow this advice and regret it later. (Hose's Freeze - Hose's Burst.... - - ....)

I have never Full timed - so skirting would just be a little too much Work for me.

The Tip to keep the RV floors warm is smart but you need to order the Coach that way We did add some foam insulation in the basement and it helped - when we asked for it, Heated Floors in 2004, TS had never done it and it became an option after we ordered the Coach. we used rugs and because the electric was included in the rent - we often kept a Heater in the bay - keeping the Basement Warm thus the floors over - Bedroom is over the rear Axle, so it will get a little cooler or just plain COLD!

Reducing Humidity - as we were in Colorado - with very little Humidity we seldom had an Issue here - in fact we would often have to add humidity with only partially dry towels - they easily dried overnight.

Knowing your systems and resources - Having a Hydro Hot and free electric is a Really big Deal in the winter, making most things just easier and costing less.

We found out that light bulbs make heat and they help - Halogen especially good for heating the Basement and the Utility Bay - I do both and they really worked well.

When we had our Coach Built TS allowed us to make a lot of adds (actually we ha some 85 + separate Adds in our build) - the winter adds - Dedicated outlets for electric heaters - Bedroom - Bath Room - Kitchen and Front - those 4 - 20 amp outlets let us heat the Coach with electric in the Winter, it is usually included in the daily charge and just make life easy. Add to that that the Entire Coach was wrapped in Reflectix Bubble Wrap and you would be amazed at what that does to not only help with heat but also with A/C. - I also used real Duct Take to seal the Vents, helping in both summer and Winter. I also had the tank heaters added but they only lasted a few years.

The most critical thing that was not mentioned was to use Reflectix in the Front windshield (the large single pane glass surface is your Biggest Issue in the Winter) at night and to try to locate the rig so that front Windshield is Faced South - allowing solar to Help out with the Heating, we do this in the Winter and the Opposite (North) in the Summer.

So Doug, thanks again for the shout out - It was fun to have a quick trip down memory Lane - the oldest GD'er would spend the night with us and shout out at the Woof Woof's (dog's) as they walked down the sidewalk along the Creek - this summer the 1-2 YO GD'er traveled with us again - she is Now 14 - from Yellowstone to Taos, with her sisters, and cousin and families, letting us turn the Covid Lemons into Lemonade - what a great summer. Where did all those years go?

DW had stayed in touch with the Managers of the park, they were able to slide us in with a cancelation and we returned to closeout our trip - three months in the Rockies, with the Families, ending in Golden - Heaven.

images - Real Winter in Golden
This October on the Creek in Golden
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden in the winter rv and mdx.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	310879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0831.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	770.1 KB
ID:	310880  

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:27 AM   #5

Bill,

Those are all great points and suggestions. Thanks! I know we’ve talked in the past about winter camping and I’ve done some myself. I truly love the cold weather state parks in the winter. As long as the park plows the snow and you fill with water somewhere they are usually near empty and the solitude is wonderful.

One question I was curious about. I’ve noticed, as you stated, a lot of heat loss is out the front (the windshield especially). How about insulating under the front cab? I was noticing this summer as I was running wires for the camera system it is simply the sheet metal panel between the drivers feet and the outside. (Not to mention in my case the hole for the wires). It is similar to the rear being cold due to being above the rear tires. The warm basement makes such a difference in the main parts of the coach. Just curious if you or anyone has tackled this. I’ll be heading to Tiger Run RV resort in CO to ski with the family the first week of January.

Thanks!
Rudy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:42 AM   #6

A couple winter photos

The north shore of Lake Superior last February...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	65022006-B70B-4E9C-9679-ED48A9871288.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	503.0 KB
ID:	311311   Click image for larger version

Name:	A891ADFE-C77F-457E-9FF0-28E6537B7DFE.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	569.4 KB
ID:	311312  

Rudy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy6 View Post
Bill,

Those are all great points and suggestions. Thanks! I know we’ve talked in the past about winter camping and I’ve done some myself. I truly love the cold weather state parks in the winter. As long as the park plows the snow and you fill with water somewhere they are usually near empty and the solitude is wonderful.

One question I was curious about. I’ve noticed, as you stated, a lot of heat loss is out the front (the windshield especially). How about insulating under the front cab? I was noticing this summer as I was running wires for the camera system it is simply the sheet metal panel between the drivers feet and the outside. (Not to mention in my case the hole for the wires). It is similar to the rear being cold due to being above the rear tires. The warm basement makes such a difference in the main parts of the coach. Just curious if you or anyone has tackled this. I’ll be heading to Tiger Run RV resort in CO to ski with the family the first week of January.

Thanks!
You are Correct - the area in the Front of the Coach is not insulated - Fact is it is almost impossible to Insulate this area - two reasons - the number of wires - accessories - lines and need to access these Items - If you are really interested in doing this this is what may work - https://www.amazon.com/US-Energy-Pro...NsaWNrPXRydWU= - using spray on roof liner spray glue - then you can cut around all the items you need to - lot of work.

What we did to counter the cold in the Front and the Rear (Rear Floor is an Issue also, as it has very limited insulation) is we added Electric outlets so we could plug in Electric heaters to supplement the HH - helps a lot.

When sking and Camping in Breck just remember it is COLD! - Talked with the son yesterday and he had just run up to A Basin to test a product (Part of his Job - but mainly he went to ski) - -5 in the lot and -10 on the top - made one run and left - Just TOO COLD - this is from a hard core Skier, so be prepared to have your swim suit to use the Pool at the Resort - also carry a number of Extra Electric Heaters Just In Case you need them (I carry 6 in the Coach at all times) .

Last note - use the heated hose to fill the tanks but use the tank for your water supply - Take a number of Images of the Park and share with us - Oh how I miss not being in Colorado in the Winter - Utah too - Just so Beautiful.

Best of Luck,

COuple images the kids sent on a fly over in Jackson - Tetons and Old Faithful ----
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8963.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	311313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9036.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	311314  

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags