Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2014, 11:35 PM   #1

Allison ECM/VIM Location 38DS02.

Good evening. Thanks for reading my post. I am having an issue that I simply cannot figure out, and I'm hoping someone here can help. My rig is an 2002 38DS02 with the the 350HP Cummins/Allison 6-speed. Several weeks ago, the coach would not crank...IE starter would not spin the engine. I noticed the transmission shift pad had what looked like a 0 with an asterisk in the middle. I could not pull any codes from the panel. Long story short, the coach batteries were low and removed for charging. Upon reinstalling the batteries, the panel was blank with no power. I thought that maybe I had left off a wire. When I did not find one off, I started second guessing the installation of all the wires. I think they are all on correctly, but I may have blown a fuse etc. I have spent hours looking for the transmission VIM and ECM with no luck. If anyone could steer me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Kindest Regards,

Jay
Electriccity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2014, 11:50 PM   #2

Sure sounds like you have a bad fuse somewhere. I don't know if this will be any help but here's a picture of the Trans ECU on my Freightliner chassis. I have wiring schematics and will try and locate the pins that should be tested for battery and ignition power. This picture is the side wall of my engine bay , but if you have a bedroom slide it may not be in this location. Aluminum box in center of photo.
The black box on the right is the VIM, contains fuses and relays.
EDIT: As you can see there is a bunch of extra wire supplied so the coach manufacturer can mount the controllers anywhere within a 3' radius.

Is your coach on a Freightliner chassis , or other brand?
Good Luck in your search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0242 (640x360).jpg
Views:	1371
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	72302  
Old 08-29-2014, 05:09 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. It is on a Spartan chassis.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #4

Maybe a call to Spartan Motor home support , with your serial number, would narrow the location down to a smaller area.
1-800-543-4277
or some info may be available online at
http://www.spartanchassis.com

If you would take a minute and set up a signature line, with info about your coach, you won't have to type it in every time you post.
From your " User CP' left end of the blue bar under your welcome message.
On the left side click " Edit Signature " enter your info , click save at the bottom of the page , and your info will appear below your posts as mine does below this one.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I did speak with Spartan a few weeks ago without much help on the issue. They said they did not have any idea where the controller would be, as Travel Supreme could put them anywhere. I was able to find the VIM, and everything seems fine. After a long look at the batteries, I think I may have a few wires on wrong. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #6

yeah going by color on wires for RVs can get you in deep

block is not all ways - most of the time on TT there + and wight is -

or you could have made a err and sent 24v DC down the line
or if you have a set of 6v batterys have it wired to only send 6v and every thing is find

do you have any pics saved that could help you see how the wires where installed
some from the past from buying the RV ... i have had to do that many times .. find a old pic and zoom in on it to get what i need

but allison gos mostly by this

red wire hot at all times
Org wire hot at all times
pink wire hot when key on
black wire ground
black /wht strip are most of the time not a ground wire

i would make sure this is 100% for your setup but you can may track down some of it this way
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #7

Thanks for the wiring info. Very helpful. I usually do take photos of anything that has a specific order, however, I failed to do so this time. I am not an electrical guru by any means, but I do have some experience with battery wiring. This darn coach has me floored. I am almost 100% sure the main wires are on correctly, but the smaller ones seem to be my problem. I did not have any sparking or surging, and I have not found any blown fuses etc. The dash works properly, and everything obvious seems to be getting power except the Allison shift pad. As the previous post states, I just found the VIM today and have not had a chance to check voltage there. I quite possibly have blown something up, but I still think I have one of the small power wires on the ground terminal....Or at least I hope so. Thanks again everyone! Oh yeah, I am running 12 volt batteries and not the 6 volt like many.

Tags
allison, cat