Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2022, 03:27 PM   #1

Bad fuel? what to do

Low fuel light on, left engine running, bought 75 gallons @ I-80 travel plaza, tank full. So when low fuel light is on I still had approximately 25 gallons in tank.
Back on the road and right away RV is missing, blowing blue, black & grey smoke. Runs ok at cruise but give it power and it's smoking. So I limp my way home 75 miles.
Changed fuel filters and I have dark fuel in the filters and some crud. So I guess I have bad fuel. Now what?
Do I drain all 80 / 90 gallons out and put in fresh fuel? Drop the tank and clean it? Or just drive it and make a few filter changes?
Could it be I had bad fuel in the bottom of my tank that got steered up when I added the 75 gallons?
Has anybody dropped their fuel tank and cleaned it, is it a big job?
Thanks
Glen

dn5172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2022, 04:29 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Was the rv parked through the winter with 25 gallons of fuel? If so, was the fuel stabilized with an enzyme fuel treatment https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools...ars-need-use/? If not, then contamination is likely.

Check if the gasoline is old or contaminated. You can do this by removing representative fuel from the fuel tank into a clear glass container. In another container, pour some fresh gasoline and compare.

If the rv still operates run the engine until the fuel is down and change the fuel filter and check the fuel lines.

If you remove the fuel into appropriate storage containers dispose it at a hazardous disposal site.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:33 PM   #3

Gasoline or diesel fuel? With todays prices, fuel polishing sounds attractive, such business's may be found near marinas and boat storage locations.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:59 PM   #4

I used to get bad fuel once or twice every single year with my boat. I had twin 525hp Cummins. I would change the filters 2-3 times and eventually it would clear up. Bahamas was the worst. Imagine getting fuel off a rusty barge using rusted 55 gallon drums with a pump wired to the battery sitting next to the drum. I would be there all day.

If you think you have an algae issue fuel polishing will help. If it’s crud from the bottom of the tank let’s hope it’s all staying in the filters. Keep changing them as many times as it takes. The crud will eventually settle and wont be picked up.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:01 PM   #5

Had been on the road for a month and everything was fine until it wasn't.
Fuel out of filter was dark in color and fresh fuel was light.
Haven't drive RV yet waiting to decide what to do?

Old 05-11-2022, 05:14 PM   #6
Cat

Pour black fuel out of filter on to paper towel and leave in sun. It let it dry if the black turns to a brownish powder. Its algae then just buy a good fuel algae Treatment. Run and change filters as recommended. Safe travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:59 AM   #7

THANKS

Thanks all
Glen

Old 05-12-2022, 07:05 AM   #8

Agreed, FUEL POLISHING is the answer. Very common in the marine industry. If located near water that has diesel powered boats, check with local polishers.

Fuel polishing circulates the fuel at very high speed/volume through huge filters.

The high speed/volume will stir up anything in the tank and the filters remove it.

Then a kill dose of a BIOCIDE such as Biobar JF.

If you can prove where you got the contaminated fuel, contact their corporate HQ about reimbursement.

Tags
fuel