Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2022, 04:56 PM   #1

Battery Boost Operation

My 2005 TS select 45' has two white rogers continuous duty contactor coils mounted over/under on aft bulkhead of the rear storage compartment. No "bird" or other such devices mounted here or anywhere to my knowledge. An added trickle charger in engine compartment maintains the chassis batteries when manually plugged in. The bottom white rogers coil controls the main power shutdown which is operated by the switch in step well at coach entrance. The upper white rogers coil is the battery boost operated by the switch on the panel to the left of drivers seat. This upper "boost" coil is also operated by the ignition switch when turned to on position and engine running as well. Not sure if there is a timed release after engine has been running for a certain period of time, but I don't think that is the case. Since I never thought nor heard that the ignition switch operated this boost coil, thinking it may have been a previous owner modification, I searched and found the connection point in the wiring harness. The connection is made behind the removable corner panel, at driver left foot. The connection appears original/factory made. Anyone know anything about this? What good is the boost switch if the ignition switch performs same function?
tommy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2022, 05:55 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Tommy, welcome to the Travel Supreme group and thanks for telling us your coach info when asking your question. Since mine is not close to the same model or year as yours I probably won't be much help. You do have my curiosity aroused. Tomorrow I'm going to check how my battery connect works and will report back to the group.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:40 AM   #3

If your generator starts from the chassis batteries and they are weak, the boost will give you some help from the house batteries.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:49 AM   #4

The way you describe the operation of the upper White Rogers sure sounds like you have a BIRD somewhere. My 06 Select has your setup with a BIRD right there on the wall with the two WR relays.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:38 AM   #5

On our Winnebago the batteries hook together if the alt is charging. If your battery is dead the boost switch is used to hook the battery together.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:53 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
The battery boost solenoid operating from the ignition switch is from the factory. It should disengage immediately when the engine starts.

Mt TS 04 had a BIRD. If the 04 and 06 models have them I would think yours also does.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:12 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
I do not have a BIRD and mine operates as you describe. Guess they want all available amps working together to start the Cummins!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:46 PM   #8

Having the solenoid controlled just by turning on the key can work the other way, dragging your chassis batteries down if the house batteries are low from a night of dry camping.

Most have a voltage sensing relay that closes the solenoid if it senses a charging voltage on the chassis battery. Others use a signal from the engine oil pressure.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:36 AM   #9

Our 2006 also activates the boost solenoid when key is on. I am in the process of deleting that feature as I dont want my run down house batteries affecting my chassis batteries that are kept fully charged with 300 watts of solar. Thanks for tell us where the connection is. I will have a look behind that kick panel and bypass that. At this point I have just removed the trigger wire off the boost solenoid. Rigbt or wrong this makes sense to me.
Kolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:23 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tommy, I had on my unit what sound like the same setup with the white Rodgers relay. Energized by pushing the boost button, or when the ignition is turned on and after a delay and a charge voltage of like 13.x volts.

The second option ignition voltage is to recharge the house battery when traveling. In my case where the small wire came to the White Rodger relay there were two wires. One that went to the dash and the other that went to an inteltec isolation switch/relay one direction.

My chassis batteries would discharge a little when camping a bout 0.1v per day. No issue if just up to about 5 days. But once I need the boost switch. After that I replaced the isolation with a bidirectional inteltec isolation relay (BIRD).

I the bird to replace the one direction isolation relay. I needed a 12V sense wire from the house batteries.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery