Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2021, 08:26 AM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Burr Handy Lift Install

I purchased a Burr Handy Lift LT 50 assuming I’d give the installation a go myself. Now I wonder if this thing can even be installed on my 2003 TS due to near zero clearance between the door frame and the co-pilot window (see attached pic).

Also, due to this same window, the spacing may be insufficient between the upper and lower post holder brackets . Burr’s installation instructions are terrible. They make no mention of the minimum spacing needed.

Has anyone ever installed a Handy Lift on a Travel Supreme and dealt with these issues? Alternatively, does anyone know of an installer located in the Portland, Or/Vancouver Wa area - or anywhere in the Pacific NW?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76907DB7-9617-43FD-89D7-6EB04A1BAB8C.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	334939  
MCraw-NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2021, 10:37 AM   #2

Wow that is a tight clearance, but could that mean that the post/frame structure of the RV is strengthened at that point to handle with ease any stress the lift would create?

Perhaps the mounting mechanism may cover the window on one side but not really affect the attachment and function. Might have to create an add-on vertical piece to provide the appropriate dimensions for attaching the lift.

The orientation of the pic took a little mind warping to see things clearly!

Best of luck with the installation.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Burr Handy-Lift is installed!

Quick update: the Handy-Lift 50 is installed on my 2003 38DS04 Travel Supreme. I ended up hiring United Access in Portland, OR to do the work. I’d give them a 3 (of 5) on the install. I had to return to have them grommet the DC line through the steel floor of the battery battery compartment that they neglected to do. That could have caused some short circuiting down the road for sure. I also had them move the connections from the chassis to the house batteries. They don’t do much work on motorhomes; mostly van and SUV mobility conversions so I don’t think they knew the difference between the two battery systems. I also had to repair the house battery disconnect switch that they somehow broke. There were a few other fit and finish issues that I’ll have to go back and repair myself.

However, installing this beastly lift was definitely not within my expertise and so they got the job done. They told me they would never have recommended the Burr lift but another lift they supply. Guess I should have searched out a vehicle mobility company before I took the plunge with Burr. Lesson learned. As such that would be my best piece of advice to anyone considering adding a handicap lift to their coach. In the end, this was a $4,400 cost ($2,600 for the lift, $1,770 for the install.
MCraw-NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Photos

Tags
install