Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #1

Can anyone identify these two items for me?

I have a 2003 TS Select DS01. Two battery banks, two inverters. Each dedicated to certain loads.

This is in my bay with the inverters, and there are two of them, one on each side. One is reading 95 degrees temperature and one is reading 118 degrees. I'm troubleshooting a loud hum I seem to be having after swapping four Lead acid batteries to AGM. (I switched the battery charge setting to AGM). Wondering what temperature is normal? I am wondering if this disparity in temps may indicate a potential problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2269.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	173296

Next is a small wire with a 15amp inline fuse that I have marked to go to the positive side of one battery bank...but there is not a similar one for the second bank. I can't seem to get the second picture to upload. But it's the only small gauge round wire with an inline fuse attached to a positive post on the one bank.

Pam Adams
Rineyville KY
2003 TSS DS01
2000 Jeep Cherokee
pamadams1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #2

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Can't read label info in pic, but appears to be a Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay ( BIRD ). You state that there is another one and that could be the solenoid for the "salesman" switch located near the entry door that turns off all lights.
The small wire you refer to is most likely from the solar charger on the roof.
Not sure what inverter you have but if you a control panel for it inside, you need to set it to AGM if you have that option.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:40 AM   #3

My White-Rodgers solenoid is for the Battery Boost.

Are you sure it will work right to have one bank of wet cells and one bank of AGM, and they are different ages?

I'm well aware that our pair of Magnums charge separate banks, but there are so many other functions that consider them together...the BIRD for example.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #4

All batteries are now AGM, we replaced the FLA to AGM to have eight identical batteries. I have changed the settings on the corresponding inverter to charge AGM. I haven't checked the solenoid lately to see if it is still retaining some heat. I should do that!

Thanks for everyones input!

Today I took the windshield curtains down and used my power washer to clean them. They're stacked back into nice tight pleats and are drying slowly. I hope the water stains don't come back, but we'll see. I may post before and after pics. I couldn't get the nozzle too close it would destroy the fabric. We'll see!

If anyone who upgraded to MCD shades has a clean set they'd like to sell, I may be interested! if the price is right!

Pam Adams
pamadams1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #5
YC1

Those temps are normal for solenoids that are running full time. They can be too hot to touch.

The hum may be from the circuit that drives them. Some setups reduce the voltage to those solenoids by using a pulsing DC instead of a pure dc voltage.

Carefully disconnect the small wire that runs them and see if the noise stops. Be careful when you take the wire off of course. Use some cotton gloves or rubber gloves because the collapsing electrical field of the solenoid can give you a nip and you might jump and bump your head or drop the wire.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems