RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:35 AM   #1

Diesel pusher with car hauler solution - Looking for advice

Hi all, i'm a soon-to-be RV'er. Been tent camping with the family so far, but it's just too much darn work now and i'm not getting any younger. As i plan the transition to an RV i've had a hang-up and i'm hoping for some input from more experienced folks such as yourselves. I'll need to pull a boat, about 6k total weight when we travel to our destinations, always lakes in our area. The problem is once we get there, and we get the boat in the water, and we get the RV set up, we won't have a way to get down to the lake easily, and it's sometimes a bit of a drive. Plus having local wheels to run to the store is nice. So i found a couple solutions that will allow me to carry a small car or golf cart in the rig, with the boat behind. Thor Outlaw, Newmar Canyon Star, and Travel Supreme. The layouts for the Thor and Newmar aren't great inside, with the garage in the back taking up so much room, plus they are all V10's and i want to get away from gas. So i'm liking what i see about the Travel Supremes with the rear car compartment. Any advice anyone can offer while i try to figure out what will work the best for a well-built, comfortable and reliable rig is much appreciated!! Thanks in advance for your time and comments.. Karl
bigearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigearl View Post
Hi all, i'm a soon-to-be RV'er. Been tent camping with the family so far, but it's just too much darn work now and i'm not getting any younger. As i plan the transition to an RV i've had a hang-up and i'm hoping for some input from more experienced folks such as yourselves. I'll need to pull a boat, about 6k total weight when we travel to our destinations, always lakes in our area. The problem is once we get there, and we get the boat in the water, and we get the RV set up, we won't have a way to get down to the lake easily, and it's sometimes a bit of a drive. Plus having local wheels to run to the store is nice. So i found a couple solutions that will allow me to carry a small car or golf cart in the rig, with the boat behind. Thor Outlaw, Newmar Canyon Star, and Travel Supreme. The layouts for the Thor and Newmar aren't great inside, with the garage in the back taking up so much room, plus they are all V10's and i want to get away from gas. So i'm liking what i see about the Travel Supremes with the rear car compartment. Any advice anyone can offer while i try to figure out what will work the best for a well-built, comfortable and reliable rig is much appreciated!! Thanks in advance for your time and comments.. Karl
Karl..
The Travel Supremes are great coaches..
BUT, there were as few as 12 of the ME's built!
And you will have to use a pretty small car.. Think original MINI!
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
We love our 41 ME with garage. Supposedly we can still tow up to 10,000 lbs even with a car in the garage, but we have never towed anything. We have a smart car that fits in there and I recently picked up a side by side ATV project that will fit by the time I'm done with it.

Towing? I know I can feel the weight of the smart car back there. It is just a dream to drive without the car, but still a one hand on the freeway with it. Not sure how a trailer would affect things.

But, yes, you would have to find one for sale.

Thanks,

Truls
Truls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #4

mid engine rv

We have a mid engine with garage we have a classic mini in the garage and tow a 25 ft trailer weighting 6000 lbs not a problem ( just long 67 ft)
RT 41
RT 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:15 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How to Tow Your Toys

While down at Lazy Days, Tampa, we saw this option. Interestingly, we saw a similar one headed west on I-10 as we were headed east on the way to Tampa. The thin, long ramps on the trailer bed attach to the upper platform by the boat trailer wheels. He had a Jeep 4x4 that rides on the trailer and is used at the camp site for transpo and to launch the boat. Just drives the Jeep off, attaches the long ramps by the boat wheels, then wenches down the tongue of the boat trailer to couple to the Jeep and drive off. Truly an engineering marvel. Actually pulls this with a 40ft DP; the other one was pulled by a 45ft Phaeton and was longer with both a truck and golf cart under the boat...talk about long!

Anyway, this setup would give you all your toys plus some and can be pulled by any MH with sufficient power and towing capacity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76822FC8-844B-4E30-9685-46C6CC8E6AEE.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	310820   Click image for larger version

Name:	A36F7DDB-B302-4AEA-8183-4F0C2C6C22CC.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	310821  

f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:09 AM   #6

you could probably do that without the complication of ramping the trailer up with a longer trailer and selection of the right tow vehicle. Launching a fishin boat doesn't take much of a vehicle.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:21 AM   #7

Have you thought about not towing with the MH but towing the boat with a pickup? DW could drive either one. Just a thought.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
you could probably do that without the complication of ramping the trailer up with a longer trailer and selection of the right tow vehicle. Launching a fishin boat doesn't take much of a vehicle.
Hmm... a 20ft boat with outboard = 23ft (min). Add 4ft from bow to end of trailer tongue and that is 27ft. Launching that takes a vehicle that can pull a 3000lb load up a ramp, so it is not an insignificant tow capacity. A 'short' Jeep-type vehicle is 17ft-plus; a standard-bed truck closer to 19ft. That means even with the trailer tongue 'under' the tow vehicle when loaded, the 'bed' of the trailer would need to be 37ft or longer; with the tongue, the trailer is pushing 40ft.

Checking state laws for PRIVATE vehicles, your total length is 65ft in most (as short as 53ft in South Carolina). In other words...you'd be WAY over max length unless your MH is really short!

More importantly, weight distro on the trailer needs the tow vehicle over or in front of the axles. That would mean you'd have to load tow-vehicle first putting a LOT of weight on the hitch. Backing the boat onto the trailer puts your heavy tow vehicle aft of the axles, which is a recipe for dangerous trailer sway and handling.

This guy's design solves both the length issue and the weight distribution issue...and is legal in most states. That's why I found it to be such an engineering success (and I'll admit it...I'm an engineer)
Old 12-10-2020, 10:53 AM   #9

Ah, you USAF guys, thinking outside the box is a struggle isn't it? All that conventional compliance drilled in.....(wink wink).

You must love big boats. I was thinking a 14 to 16 footer. Mine was barely a thousand pounds on the trailer. And it goes on backwards, just like the pic. Motor tilted, then over the front of the trailer. Then you raise the tongue as far as it will go. I used to store mine in the back yard that way. You could get the tongue up 4 feet easy.

Nose of the tow vehicle goes under the tongue. Centered over the trailer tires.That ought to take a minimum of 10 ft off your length calculation.

16' boat with trailer - 18', Subaru AWD (more HP AND AWD compared to the '54 Ford my dad used to launch with - and lighter itself too), maybe 6 ft of overlap, Could get the trailer done in under 30. Maybe need to pull the boat up on less than a foot of risers - much less than that thing.

Launch vehicle just needs to be capable, not going to tow long distances.

There are also a lot of double-decker car hauler designs that drop so a low car can be loaded and lift so another can go under.

Just joshin' you up front. I worked with the Mudhens a ton in 95-2002 on a joint USN/USAF targeting system I designed. It was a pleasure to work with an aircraft that had decent time on station.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:14 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Probably crossed paths along the way. I was F-15E pilot #65; flew it continuously from ‘89 to ‘04.

And I have no problem thinking outside the box; my commanders used to accuse me of both too much of that and too much effort making the box ‘bigger’ before going outside it. The OP suggested 6,000lbs of ‘toys’ which to me indicated a bigger, 20+ ft boat that weighed 2500lbs or more. The one I saw on I-10 was as you indicated, a double-decker lift trailer with the top lift holding a 22ft cuddly-cabin I/O boat & trailer overhead a F-150 quad-cabin with a golf cart in the bed...and a Harley parked in front of it. That owner truly has gone outside the box...the toy box, at least.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #11

Depends how many people you have to move in the car. Smart cars are small. They will fit is a 10 foot garage. (They are around 8 feet ish long) They are available in Gas, Diesel (Canada only) and Electric. They all weigh around 2000 pounds.

Heres an old pic of ours in a Toy hauler. (We no longer own a smart car but we had a few over the years and they were a great little runabout. Available as convertible as well.

radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:45 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
This one
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...TER-5013559213

And this one

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...BH4-5014189324

Are for sale

2004 Travel Supreme Select 45DSO4
Towing 2018 Ford Flex 4 down
Jarhead 67-71
Airboss68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:01 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Would this work?

https://youtu.be/jI-_epLx3yw
Old 12-30-2020, 01:37 PM   #14

We have lived full time in our 2006 Travel Supreme Mid Engine since 2014. We bought it from someone who had motorcycles in it. We use it for our 10' kayaks, recumbent trikes, golf clubs, et. You can easily put a golf cart in it along with other stuff or a smart car or an old version of the Mini Cooper. We had a bigger Mini Cooper when we bought the ME but towed it. We now tow a Kia Soul. The coach itself is very livable with the 2 slides and a very open living area/kitchen. We also love that it has a king-size bed and in a bedroom that is about 7' tall. We have done a lot of updates to it. Removed the built in couch and banquet, put in a new jackknife couch and chairs for the table. We also recently put an new induction cook top, residential refrigerator, and new convection/microwave. We also had an RV Armor roof put on (which has a transferable life-time warranty). We also redecorated so it is a very unique coach. We have loved living in it and have been very comfortable in it. I can post some pictures if anyone whats to see what we have done.
sdarrow99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, diesel