Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2020, 04:59 AM   #1

Driving Mirror

anyone have a trick to removing mirror from arm that is attached to coach after it has not been moved for years mine was torn off and I need to reattach the mounting bracket to coach but cant get bolts out of it because it is froze to arm I been putting WD-40 on it for several days now
Herb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2020, 06:40 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Penetrating oils

“Machinists Workshop” recently published information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested these products for “breakout torque” on rusted nuts and bolts. A subjective test was made of popular penetrating oils, with the unit of merit being the torque required to remove the nut from a “scientifically rusted” bolt.

Averaged torque load to loosen nuts:

No oil used............ 516 foot-pounds

WD – 40..................... 238 foot-pounds

PB Blaster.................. 214 foot-pounds

Liquid Wrench........... 128 foot-pounds

Kano Kroil................ 106 foot-pounds

ATF/Acetone Mix....... 53 foot-pounds – 50/50

The ATF/Acetone mix is a homebrew of 50/50 Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone.

Note: This “Homebrew” released bolts better than any commercial product in this particular test.

Note: Liquid Wrench is almost as good as Kroil for 20% of the price.

Note: ATF/Acetone mix is the best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50/50 mix.

Note: The ATF/Acetone mix is 5 times better than WD-40.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:44 AM   #3

driving mirror

thanks ill jump right on that idea and let you know results
Old 10-15-2020, 04:07 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
That is a great list of penetrating oils. Having worked in the saltwater marine industry for decades as an engineer, I have definitely come across some seized bolts. I will typically not even try to loosen a seized bolt without putting some heat to it. That may be challenging depending on what you are working on, but may be possible with a small torch, like a small butane torch or something. These are maybe $10 at an auto parts store.

I was able to free up a seized engine with the ATF/Acetone mix after sitting in the cylinders for a couple of days.

The heat/lube combo is good, expansion and then contraction from cooling when sprayed, but be careful about using too much heat and something very flammable. I have used liquid wrench successfully like this. Also tapping on the head of the bolt/screw can loosen things up. Whatever you do, be patient and don't twist off the heads of the bolts.

Best of luck,

Truls
Truls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #5

driving mirror

update atf and Acetone didn't work in fact nothing worked I did get out one set screw but the rest is all fused together with age tried heat as mush as I dared then gave up priced a new one then went back to work what I came up with that will buy some time till I decide to buy new one . Problem was I could not remount mounting plate because plastic chrome cover prevents screws from coming out I drilled 4 15/16 holes with hole cutter and removed screws that way then ordered rubber plugs for holes and chrome tape to put over rubbers then will trim to fit thinking about drilling 4 holes in drivers mirror to match (lol)