Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #1

Electric step

step is erratic never know what its going to do have checked magnetic door switch and door on and off switch replace motor and step module there must be a curcuit breaker in the power side but don't know where it is located. works fine for about 5 or 6 tmes then quits wait a while let it cool and it will work again. all help kindly appreciated.

Delbert

05 select 45
strippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #2

Clean the ground, if you havent already. Visit the kwikee ( I'm assuming thats what type you have ) web site and download a manual , the online PDF files have a more comprehensive troubleshooting guide than the ones supplied with the units. Mine has 2 fuses and a CB, powering the controller, lots of chances for a bad connection.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
Community Administrator

X2 on the ground.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
X2 on the ground.
X 3 Ground often the problem, also remember to lube.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #5

thanks for the good info double checked ground by bi passing both org grs. this am opened door step went up and stayed didn't have time to work with it. some times if you hit the power on coach switch off or on and the step will work, door map lights also come on when step works not on when step doesn't work i still think its a ciruit breaker but don't know how to locate

Delbert
05 select 45
Old 05-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The step light gets it's ground from the same place the step does. As other's have stated, CLEAN THE GROUND. You will find it between the chassis frame and the inside of the steps. Remove the ground, WIRE BRUSH WHERE THE WIRES ATTACH, re-install and when your done, spray with a good undercoating. Good luck and travel safe.
david g.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by strippit View Post
thanks for the good info double checked ground by bi passing both org grs. this am opened door step went up and stayed didn't have time to work with it. some times if you hit the power on coach switch off or on and the step will work, door map lights also come on when step works not on when step doesn't work i still think its a ciruit breaker but don't know how to locate

Delbert
05 select 45
It won't be a circuit breaker... If one was tripped, it would have to be manually reset for the steps to work again.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #8

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Not a circuit breaker, those are for AC current. The step in the TS's is 12V as all motorhomes and all use an automotive fuse. Fuses work or they don't. Most are located in the outside panel under the driver area for the step power as it is in concert with the door, ignition, chassis , etc.
If it erratic, try spraying with a brake cleaner or similar HD degreaser and follow with a strong pressure washer to all parts, slides, gears, etc. . This fixed my problem after a trip to FL. Do not grease, oil, or use lubricant on the parts, as it will foul again.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #9

Lube it. Get under and look for pivot points that are hard to see. Then lube it, Then lube it again. If it is intermittent it is either binding or the load sensor in the motor is kicking out.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #10

back again thanks for the info i made an error by saying breaker what i realy meant was ciruit relay, i change the motor and module & checked the grs. and still have the same problem going to get back on it tomorrow will have better chance tracing it down being its not working at all hope i'll have a good report to come back with.

Delbert
05 select 45
Old 05-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The linkage pin maybe bent and binding and needs replacement, I got tired of replacing and use a threaded bolt with locking nut for future easy replacement, when pin is bent it will be hard to remove if steps folded.
Some steps will work thru your brake pedal switch and some pedal shafts are threaded to adjust when you pedal is in normal up position.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #12

Lots of good advice here. My step motor has started to run on after extended, for about 2-3 seconds. Oscillating/bumping 4 or 5 times. I think the load sensor may be not shutting it off. It happens most every time after extension, and I just saw it do it once after closing. At first I thought the gears were slipping, but there is no sign of grinding. Any experience with this kind of problem?
mharner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My steps were working when I took coach to be worked on for manifold remount.
Picked up the coach steps did not , got my body under steps and found that there are two grounds, one a heavy ground into control and another one that's attached to the chassis square frame, held to frame by screw and a star washer.
This ground is from the magnetic switch on the screen door frame that opens and closes the steps when entering or leaving the coach.
I had forgot about it because its been a few years back that I had cleaned it before.
Sand the frame and wire connector with added di-electric grease and steps are good until the next cleaning if I can remember that black small wire.
You do not notice the wire maybe not even near the steps.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #14

well the step is working as it should for how long no one knows. i did so many things i don't know which one did the trick replaced motor and module ground the ground points with grinder checked all voltage to wire plugs and checked magnetic switch, unhooked motor and step revolved freely it was still not working the way it should work once or twice and quit always in retrack position come back in 4 or 5 hrs it would work again for short time some one mentioned brake pedal so pulled it up and moved it around like i say working now.

Thanks to all for the good info
Delbert
05 Select 45