Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2022, 12:23 PM   #1

Electrical Charging Problem

While parked at home I have an extension cord plugged in to keep my batteries topped off. I’ve now noticed my generator will not start up like it use to just being plugged in to a 110 outlet. I now have to start my coach to allow the batteries to charge and only then I can start the generator for my monthly maintenance of the generator. My question to all the good and knowledgeable folks on this forum is this. Could my battery isolator pictured below which is just below my Xantrex Inverter be the actual problem and how does one rule that out? I do have a multi meter but I’m not exactly sure how one uses it to rule out that the battery isolator is the actual problem or is there something else I should check for to remedy the problem. Any and all recommendations would surly be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	304C83D2-4F9A-4959-8162-AB65245054A7.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	358896  
2017 Chevy Equinox w/Blue Ox & Air Force 1
Bodean56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2022, 12:31 PM   #2

You need to pull out your digital voltmeter and check readings on both CHASSIS and HOUSE battery banks.

That will at least put you on the right track.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:58 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodean56 View Post
While parked at home I have an extension cord plugged in to keep my batteries topped off. I’ve now noticed my generator will not start up like it use to just being plugged in to a 110 outlet. I now have to start my coach to allow the batteries to charge and only then I can start the generator for my monthly maintenance of the generator. My question to all the good and knowledgeable folks on this forum is this. Could my battery isolator pictured below which is just below my Xantrex Inverter be the actual problem and how does one rule that out? I do have a multi meter but I’m not exactly sure how one uses it to rule out that the battery isolator is the actual problem or is there something else I should check for to remedy the problem. Any and all recommendations would surly be appreciated.
The battery isolator (salesman switch relay) is on the right in your photo. If it fails you will loose most DC power to the inside of the coach. That relay is controlled by the switch inside the entry door on the left. Not sure if it controls power to the generator or not.

The relay on the left is the one that connects house and chassis batteries together. Switch is labeled battery boost and it is located on the left console. Unless your batteries are dead you should be able to start the generator when this switch is depressed.

As Wolf said first check the voltage on the house and chassis batteries and tell us what it is when you have your 110 extension cord plugged in and what it is when unplugged.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 01:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
The battery isolator (salesman switch relay) is on the right in your photo. If it fails you will loose most DC power to the inside of the coach. That relay is controlled by the switch inside the entry door on the left. Not sure if it controls power to the generator or not.

The relay on the left is the one that connects house and chassis batteries together. Switch is labeled battery boost and it is located on the left console. Unless your batteries are dead you should be able to start the generator when this switch is depressed.

The isolation relay is in the center. It isolates the batteries if no charging.

The battery disconnect is on the right. It turns off the house loads.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 01:57 PM   #5

If starting your engine charges your house batteries, your isolation relay is working.

You need to check the Xantrex for proper charging, that what charges the house batteries. No relays in that circuit.

See what kind of voltage your house batteries are showing. Just probe + and - on terminals with more then one cable on them.

May have a popped out breaker on the Xantrex.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:05 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The isolation relay is in the center. It isolates the batteries if no charging.
The battery disconnect is on the right. It turns off the house loads.
The relay on the left is the battery boost relay, which connects all batteries together. It is activated with the battery boost switch and when the ignition is first turned on.
The right relay does disconnect most house loads but not all and, on mine, the generator will start if this relay is open or closed.
He does not have a visible BIRD or other isolator in his photo that I can see.
2023 F-150 Towed
Old 03-12-2022, 11:37 AM   #7

After using the multi meter the starting Interstate batteries I bought in 10/2018 are 12.9 volts and the Lifeline house batteries bought in 9/2010 are 6.5 volts. So I suspect that those house batteries are in fact in need of replacement. I did utilize the battery boost switch as mentioned to fire up the generator and it started immediately so I believe that relay is working just fine. I also turned off the salesman switch with lights on and they turned off indicating that that relay is also good.

The original owner that I bought the coach from gave me all the receipts including the Lifeline batteries he purchased for $170 each. Today that same exact battery on Amazon is $489 WOW! I don’t particularly want to spend that much money of 4 house batteries so any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all my good buddies on this forum who guided me through determining what the actual problem was and what it wasn’t. I have learned so much from you all that I truly feel fortunate to have stumbled across this forum.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:06 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
I wouldn't condemn your house batteries just yet. That being said, 11 years on a set of batteries is exceptional. If there is a problem with the xfer switch they may not be getting charged.

Are your house batteries 6 or 12 volt? 6.9 volts on a 6 volt battery tells me it is being charged.

With the generator running what voltage are your house batteries showing?
2023 F-150 Towed
Old 03-15-2022, 05:11 PM   #9

Thanks Robert for pointing me in the right direction. Yes my house batteries are in fact 6V instead of the 12V I thought they were. They looked to be the same size and therefore I didn’t think they were 6V batteries until I looked at the original receipt.

When I start the generator the volts shot up to 7.5 and when shut off and hooked up to 110 the batteries show 6.68V which I’m assuming is just fine for 6 volt batteries. This all started when I couldn’t start the generator without using the boost switch or starting the coach up to allow the batteries to recharge.

The one thing I did do on the Xantrex panel was hold down the charge button down for 5 seconds like it said to do in the manual to reset and I believe that might have fixed the problem. I’m sure hoping so.
Old 03-22-2022, 07:38 PM   #10

I am not an electrical person at all. I do know on my coach - when plugged into 110 - I have to have the invert on (green) to get the house batteries to charge. Otherwise the "charge level lights" are red....invert - they go to green.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, electric, electrical, problem