Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2022, 06:49 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Emergency exit windows?

As we learn more about our 'new to us' 2004 unit I want to show my wife and grandkids how to use the emergency exit windows. As I have no manuals on the unit I am nervous that if I unlatch the red catches the window will swing out and drop out of the frame: am I right or are they hinged at the top?
Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2022, 07:25 PM   #2

Mine is hinged at the top. BUT varies by manufacturer .
BEWARE testing may result in broken window and a $$$$ replacement , if available at all .
Old 05-28-2022, 08:32 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Mine is hinged at the top. BUT varies by manufacturer .
BEWARE testing may result in broken window and a $$$$ replacement , if available at all .
Hi All...
They are hinged at the top.. And mine don't drop out! I try to exercise them every year to be sure they will work if ever needed! I have heard they can stick if not used! Hope we never have to use them for what they are designed for... BTW I don't think anyone ever got a manual on the coach! Just a compilation of all the equipment manufacturers! But, after aprox. 10 years of ownership.. I still really love it and a great coach!
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Hi All...
They are hinged at the top.. And mine don't drop out!
Ron
Well they may drop out if raised high enough
My window has what I call a double J hinge , and while trying to get the window opened enough to pass my washer/dryer into the coach ; the hinge halves separated and the window dropped towards the ground , luckily a friend was standing there to help load the washer into the coach and caught it .
Old 05-29-2022, 05:44 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Thanks guys, I will make sure to have someone ready to catch them when I try for the first time.
As for a manual, I know TS would not have supplied much but my last one the PO had kept every manual from all appliances, equipment,(install and use) mechanical additions etc. and it made life easier. I am still playing around with the fresh water valves confirming the right position for different scenarios. All part of the fun I guess of working with older units.
Take care, stay safe everyone.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:53 PM   #6

Emergency Window

We have an 04dso4 with the emergency window above the couch. Is that where it is in other units? It concerns me there is no window in the bedroom area I could get out of if needed.
pnebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:04 PM   #7

If you raise it past 75 percent open be prepared for it to come off. I have a 2004 TS and used this feature to pass through my Samsung refrigerator which I bought to replace the Norcold, one of the best mods I have done with this motor home.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:53 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Emergency Exit -- Fire Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
As we learn more about our 'new to us' 2004 unit I want to show my wife and grandkids how to use the emergency exit windows. As I have no manuals on the unit I am nervous that if I unlatch the red catches the window will swing out and drop out of the frame: am I right or are they hinged at the top?
Thanks.
I worked with Mac the Fire Guy, we both promoted and worked under NFPA fire protection code.

1) Make sure you open and close the exit 2 times a year.

2) I use silicone grease on the rubber seal to make sure the seal does not adhere to the glass or seal mating surface.

3) First time you open, have a helper, on a ladder if necessary, hold the window, some fall off the hinge and will break when opened.

4) Practice getting out of the RV, panic is a killer! Folks that do not know the emergency rules and procedures are who panic.

5) If you have an absorption fridge, check into our product for fire safety

Please let me know if you have any fire questions
We are here to help in all aspects of safety, from fuel lines to fire suppression, we have the motivation to share our insight and experience on safety

Tags
wind, window