Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #1

Fridge question

03 TS DS02 40' with a Norcold AC/AU/LP. It had the recall high heat thing placed by the previous owner. Still being new at this, last year I used the LP to power the fridge while driving, worked great. Later I noticed the plastic vent grill was warped during the process. Heard so many horror stories about burning down RV's. Now the silly question: what does everyone do with their food while driving? Does the fridge operate off of alternator/battery power while driving? Would appreciate some insight on this. Thanks.
Chemosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #2

No 12v operation ( three way operation ) on newer RV fridges. 110 & propane only.
Some coaches factory wired with a dedicated inverter to supply 110 to the fridge while the engine is running. If your seeing damage, you may want to consider this as an upgrade.
Always had Dometic fridges in my 5 RVs and never had issues using propane in motion.

EDIT: The fridge should hold temp for 4 hours with no problem in normal temps. then you could start the gen set to cool, even when on the road.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #3

Chemosavvy,
There are a couple of answers. Just depends on which one you like. LOL
1. If the refrig is cold before you head out, it should stay cold for several hours even when off as long as you don't open and close it more than a couple of times.
2. Run the fridge off A/C which requires the generator running or the fridge to be on the inverter.
3. Scrap the Not-So-Cold and replace with a Residential Refridge like the Samsung RF-197 and run it off the inverter.

It's just a matter of how far you want to go in terms of solving the problem and what provides you the most peace of mind. And just as an FYI, I personally took option 3.

Drew
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
There is nothing you can do if it quits except replace the overheat box.
You can by-pass it but not advisable for safety reasons.
It's hard to beleive in this day and age that they cant make a dependable
fridge. So I guess thats why most of the manufactures are going with electric and you have carry all those extra batterys..
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a thought. Carry a couple extra batteries and ELIMINATE that HUGE LP tank, freeing up one more bay for storage. AND...you'll have real cold beverages and ice cream in the new residential fridge at ALL times. That, friends, is why the trend continues towards all electric.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnystrom View Post
There is nothing you can do if it quits except replace the overheat box.
You can by-pass it but not advisable for safety reasons.
It's hard to beleive in this day and age that they cant make a dependable
fridge. So I guess thats why most of the manufactures are going with electric and you have carry all those extra batterys..
I just sold my TS and the biggest reason was to upgrade to a residential refrigerator model MH. Having stacked battery trays and deleting the LP tanks was a great bonus and freed up another bay.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #7

Lots of options as noted above, however I do feel the best all around choice is to replace with a Samsung 197. Much safer and less to worry about.

Tags
fridge