RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-03-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 228
Generator issue

The 12.5 in my 06 TSS shut off last trip, code 36. When I got home I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, changed oil and filter. This past weekend it ran fine first day or two then would get an occasional shudder but then smooth out. The shudder got more regular about every 20-30 minutes. BUT it kept 2 ACs running for 2 more days. Then on the way home it shuttered and quit, code 36. I cranked it several more times and it would a minute then quit. Next day I put new fuel filter again and it cranked and ran 2 hours. I blew the fuel out of the filter and it looked clean. I cut it open and didn稚 find anything.
What are my next steps?
Thanks!
Jimmy
__________________
2006 Travel Supreme Select 45
Jdaniel2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
texasrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 288
Crimped fuel line
__________________
Ray Skinner
2006 TS Select 45' DL14
12 Ford Focus, 10 HD Streetglide CVO
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:42 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
The Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 696
My 12.5 in an 06 Select had all those symptoms of fuel starvation...even getting progressively worse over six months until it would only crank, but not fire.

Heard of another owner who had those symptoms, but he found the problem was caused by a poorly seated main electrical plug on top of the genny.

Reseated minr and it fired on first crank. Has run fine for a year now.

Plug difficult to see or get to. Gotta remove as much of the top cover near the front as you can. Work by feel.
__________________
Doug, Robyn, Ross & Ryan
06 TS Select 45
see our blog: www.thebigtaxi.com
The Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 228
Thanks. I’ll pull the top off Monday. I appreciate any and all ideas
__________________
2006 Travel Supreme Select 45
Jdaniel2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:30 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
texasrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 288
Gen

JDaniel

Were you able to get the problem resolved?

Ray
__________________
Ray Skinner
2006 TS Select 45' DL14
12 Ford Focus, 10 HD Streetglide CVO
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:04 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Hit_the_Rhod's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Salvisa, KY
Posts: 3,943
I'd also take a really good look at all the fuel lines, your symptoms MAY be be caused by occasionally sucking air into fuel supply . ..
__________________
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2019 F-150 Toad. U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 228
I知 out of town until tomorrow but I plan to dive back on it Monday. I知 going to check that plug but it still sounds to me like starving for fuel. I may replace the fuel lines as well. They are 14 years old
__________________
2006 Travel Supreme Select 45
Jdaniel2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
LoggedOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post

Heard of another owner who had those symptoms, but he found the problem was caused by a poorly seated main electrical plug on top of the genny.

Reseated minr and it fired on first crank. Has run fine for a year now.

Plug difficult to see or get to. Gotta remove as much of the top cover near the front as you can. Work by feel.
This is exactly what I went through. I chased fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel pump, and every other issue because it was always a Code 36 and sounded like the engine was being starved of fuel. I noticed the problem always came up when I hit a harsh bump, and sometimes it was out of the blue.

Over the past 2 years it's happened a few times, but not in a long time. I've got it down to the point I can take a 10mm socket, pull the degas bottle out enough to get my hand up to the plug - pull it out, spray it with electric contact cleaner, and pop it back in - about 10 minutes in a rest stop. I've just come to deal with it given how rarely it now happens.
__________________
Family of 5 full-timing
2005 Travel Supreme Select 45 w/ '06 Lexus GX470 toad.
Follow us at: https://www.facebook.com/rvthatfamily/
LoggedOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:32 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoggedOff View Post
This is exactly what I went through. I chased fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel pump, and every other issue because it was always a Code 36 and sounded like the engine was being starved of fuel. I noticed the problem always came up when I hit a harsh bump, and sometimes it was out of the blue.

Over the past 2 years it's happened a few times, but not in a long time. I've got it down to the point I can take a 10mm socket, pull the degas bottle out enough to get my hand up to the plug - pull it out, spray it with electric contact cleaner, and pop it back in - about 10 minutes in a rest stop. I've just come to deal with it given how rarely it now happens.
Do I need to take the top off or can I get to it behind the water jug?
__________________
2006 Travel Supreme Select 45
Jdaniel2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:28 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
The Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 696
Can't hurt to try reaching.

The top cover immediately over the plug doesn't come off. I took off the first panel on top that is removeable, which is its own pain...because it fits under panels on both sides (I wedged it out).

It was still a reach into the darkness for the plug.

This plug is a marvel. For being so crucial to the operation, you'd think they'd give direct access, AND you'd think they'd have a more secure attachment!
__________________
Doug, Robyn, Ross & Ryan
06 TS Select 45
see our blog: www.thebigtaxi.com
The Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:06 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 228
Update. Genny ran for 30 hours straight with all 3 ACs on. Went to park it in the shed and it cut off. Tried to prime it to see if pump was working and it was not. 20 minutes later it cranked and ran fine again. The next time it quit I took it all apart and cleaned all the connectors and added dielectric grease. Still no crank. Checked voltage at pump while trying to prime and had zero. Ran a 12v jumper wire to pump and it started pumping and ran fine again. I GUESS I知 down to either the fuel pump relay or the board??
__________________
2006 Travel Supreme Select 45
Jdaniel2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:41 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
The Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 696
Sheesh.
__________________
Doug, Robyn, Ross & Ryan
06 TS Select 45
see our blog: www.thebigtaxi.com
The Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
LoggedOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaniel2509 View Post
Update. Genny ran for 30 hours straight with all 3 ACs on. Went to park it in the shed and it cut off. Tried to prime it to see if pump was working and it was not. 20 minutes later it cranked and ran fine again. The next time it quit I took it all apart and cleaned all the connectors and added dielectric grease. Still no crank. Checked voltage at pump while trying to prime and had zero. Ran a 12v jumper wire to pump and it started pumping and ran fine again. I GUESS I知 down to either the fuel pump relay or the board??
I replaced my fuel pump and it's a major pain. But I'm starting to wonder if you have a bad controller board. If you were able to bypass with a 12V feed and make it pump, that's sounding like something else (the controller) isn't telling the pump to keep it primed up.
__________________
Family of 5 full-timing
2005 Travel Supreme Select 45 w/ '06 Lexus GX470 toad.
Follow us at: https://www.facebook.com/rvthatfamily/
LoggedOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:37 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoggedOff View Post
I replaced my fuel pump and it's a major pain. But I'm starting to wonder if you have a bad controller board. If you were able to bypass with a 12V feed and make it pump, that's sounding like something else (the controller) isn't telling the pump to keep it primed up.
I agree. The pump is obviously ok. It痴 either the board or the fuel pump relay. Monday I知 starting at the relay. I doubt if it痴 the board that I知 going to spend that much money. I値l add a three way switch and move on
__________________
2006 Travel Supreme Select 45
Jdaniel2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Generator switch issue and tailpipe issue rvguy02 Entegra Owner's Forum 10 06-19-2019 09:49 PM
Slight oil leak...Issue or non Issue? Speedjester Cummins Engines 6 09-03-2015 07:17 AM
AGS Issue: 2010 Paeton 40-QTH AGS Issue gjw Tiffin Owner's Forum 1 09-06-2013 04:46 PM
Slide Controller Issue, but maybe slide motor issue also Corwin Newmar Owner's Forum 8 07-16-2012 11:41 AM
Southwind 36D Issue after issue after issue.... fixn2gocamp Fleetwood Owner's Forum 4 10-21-2009 07:05 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.