Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #1

Insurance

Has anyone found an insurance company that has reasonable prices? We have a 2007 Limited and we are paying $2800. Is that in the ball park?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
HHg

Wow, that seems high, but I don't know your credit score, driving record, where you park the RV, your zip code and numerous other factors. We pay a lot less on our 2013 Phaeton with a really good policy with very low deductible riders for the glass, etc. Shop like a dog, get at least 4-6 quotes and then at least you will know you are getting a decent rate.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
That does seem high, but you do have at least a couple of factors I see that are working against you. One, you're in Florida, and a high population density area at that. Two, you're in coastal Florida.

Other than that, HHG is right on the money. There are so many factors that figure into your personal rate it is impossible for anyone here to say whether or not what you're paying is "fair".
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #4

Dick...As both posters above state, so many factors come into play it is hard to compare. We are with Foremost, and pay much less using MN address. That said, yours does seem very high.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #5

Something wrong there. With absolutley full coverage, we have never paid more than $400 - 600 per year since our Winnebago Adv was new in '99!
Old 09-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #6

Thanks to all. I will shop around.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
Wow, that seems high, but I don't know your credit score, driving record, where you park the RV, your zip code and numerous other factors. We pay a lot less on our 2013 Phaeton with a really good policy with very low deductible riders for the glass, etc. Shop like a dog, get at least 4-6 quotes and then at least you will know you are getting a decent rate.

Hhg
Credit score 814, no accidents or tickets but we live in Florida.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #8

It's easy to get quotes, just you provide the coverage amounts. Reasonable rates should group around a norm. Lowball rates may likely be teaser rates that double or more the next year. I would think 4 quotes would be adequate, just be sure to compare apples to apples - again, you provide the limits and coverage. Use the policy you currently have for this if you think the policy itself provides adequate coverage. By the way, you can't compare rates between differing areas and especially states. Miami has completely different exposures than a small town in central Fl and laws differ from State to State.
rhks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems a bit high to me. We're at about $1200 With full coverage. We have Hanover (Citizens).
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Exclamation Get quotes from MANY different companies.

I know this sounds crazy, but it's true:
  • We have homeowner's insurance with American Family
  • Auto insurance (we have 3 cars and a truck) with Geico
  • RV has full coverage with Progressive.
This was the cheapest way to go in our case...Weird? Yes, but it all comes down to dollars and cents!
88Ramblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Have to agree with previous posts. It is almost impossible to compare your policy against someone else's, to many variables. I take a day or two every year and compare 4-6 different quotes to find the best deal for my circumstances. Sometimes a one year teaser rate is offered but that is OK by me. I only get my insurance for a year anyway. Go ahead an tease me!! I'll do my due diligence again next year and hope I find another teaser! I just renewed the first of Sep and had to change companies this year. The company I had last year wanted to raise the premium just over 40% and nothing changed except the coach is one year older.

For what it's worth, my agent is Overland Insurance Services (800-677-4027). They do write for several different companies and don't mind shopping around to get you the best deal they can offer. I always include them in my annual search. Also talk to GMAC through Good Sam or FMCA. The others change just about every year, with the only exception being I choose to NOT use Progressive!

Do your research and let us know what worked best for your situation.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #12

My 06 TSS is 1300.00 a year with Hartford thru AARP.
Jdaniel2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #13

Agree to variables...area, amounts, value used, coverage (500/250/100K, etc) and to bundle or not. After GMAC/GS took a big hike on my premium after first year I bundled much cheaper with my home/auto with SAFECO. Pushing the $1400 mark for MH now so may have to shop again. Shopping can be good as long as you understand, like Robert mentioned, the next year's premium may be up considerably ...then you can shop again. See who wants your business and how bad. bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhks View Post
It's easy to get quotes, just you provide the coverage amounts. Reasonable rates should group around a norm. Lowball rates may likely be teaser rates that double or more the next year. I would think 4 quotes would be adequate, just be sure to compare apples to apples - again, you provide the limits and coverage. Use the policy you currently have for this if you think the policy itself provides adequate coverage. By the way, you can't compare rates between differing areas and especially states. Miami has completely different exposures than a small town in central Fl and laws differ from State to State.
Great info, thanks.

Tags
insurance