RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #1

Question Just got picked up a 2006 TS Select 45' and i got a few questions...

Hey Friends,
Just purchased a 2006 TS Select 45ft (500 Cummins) with 25000mi and have a few questions. I didn't know about the X-Bracing before i bought the rig, but after reading, i do now. I went to the Midwest RV site(Bishops old shop) and ordered the x-bracing plans without actually seeing if they were still in business(my mistake). Now, im just hoping to get the 400.00$ back or maybe Bishop will send me a copy of the X-bracing plans/blueprints. I have e-mailed Precision painting about a copy of the plans, but have yet to hear back.. Anyone have an advice on where to get the plans for this, i have a shop that specializes in big truck frames and truck equipment ready to install the bracing as soon as i get some plans. Actually, I feel the shop could install bracing without a copy of the plans, but i would prefer that they use blueprints instead of winging it.

Took the new Coach to tailgate two weeks ago, when we left the house, the bottom (storage) cooler and outlets all worked. By the time we got to Stillwater, got plugged into the shore line, bottom plugs stopped working... I flipped all the breakers that i could see and checked fuses... no good. Got home and it was working fine.... Whats up with that?

After we bought the RV, driving it home from Dallas to OKC, the temp gauge started to get a little hot and a check engine light came on, took it to the shop that works on all our big trucks and equipment. They plugged into the computer and showed it had got a little warm. They cleaned out the radiator and it was just filled to the gills with dirt and dust, even though this rig is in immaculate condition. The head mechanic said what we had (ISM-500) was just an M-11 engine with smog/emissions crap and a very suspect EGR valve, we have a few M-11 in a couple trucks and haven't had any problems, but the mechanic said some of the power/heat issues could be caused by cracked EGR housing or sticking valve... Took the Select back home and it started to get warm again.. never go above 225 but still... We own a bunch of trucks and we know all to well about getting a diesel too hot.. $$$ Too bad it doesn't have a 60 series Detroit... we got a bunch of those lying around for parts or spare engines. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks for any and all advice...

Dustin
2006 TS Select 45'
1998 Georgie Boy 40' "The Encounter"
Dustin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #2

I know it sounds crazy...
But, the GFI receptacle in the master bath controls the power to the outlets in my basement. Including the freezer.
Might check that out
Good luck
Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #3

Dustin,
Congratulation on your new coach. Once you get it dialed in it will be enjoyed. I have the same year and model. I have had issues with the temp. setting of the check engine lite. It will come on at 214 degrees consistantly and will go off once the cooling fan kicks in at that temp. Not sure either why it does it but I have seen other posts on this forum that have had the same problem. As long as it doesn't get any hotter than that it shouldn't be a problem. I usually push the arrow button to get the check engine light buzzer to stop making noise. The light will go out at 212 and continue to drop until it starts heating up again. It is all related to the auxiliary fan on the radiator. Any other insights would be appreciated.

Good luck and enjoy your coach.
4x4crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #4

Dustin:

I have the 45' Select & had the x-bracing done by precision this summer. I live in Grove, but go to all the OU home games in Norman. You're more than welcome to look at there work. I'll be in Norman the from next Thursday until the following Sunday.o
Dale F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I didn't have a problem with overheating, but I changed the cover at the radiator. Originally, the cooling fins ran horizontal. The temps ran around 190 +/-and on a hill, the temps increased. The new Entegras have a cover with the fins that run vertical facing forward. My temps now run 173-194 on a long steep slow climb. Big improvement in performance for me.
I was in much the same position as you- bought my '06 Select in '09 w/ 22,000 miles. After some initial fooling around with a local shop, I went Spartan in Charlotte, MI and had them go through it. Had a recall on a part of the cooling system they replaced free, did a 44 point inspection, corrected the speedometer, replaced the 35 qt. dip stick with a 40 qt. dip stick. Aligned the whole coach and balanced the weight. The RV was in excellent shape. I had Bishop install the "X" bracing and an AC tech fixed the dash air. I have put 26,000 miles on it in the last 2 years & couldn't be happier with the service and comfort we have received.
GreatDane37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #6

Dustin,
We have a 2005 42 ft Select (500hp) and have had major engine cooling problems. We picked up our unit in late August and have been stranded on the highway twice having to be towed (on a flat bed) each time. Our unit is still at the dealers, they are replacing the majority of the cooling fan system with newer up graded components from Spartan. We are very fortunate to have a super dealer who has paid for all the towing and will pay for all of the repairs. It might be worth having someone have a real close look at the whole axillary fan cooling system to ensure everything is 100%. Best of luck.

Bob and Terri
Bob Hannley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Bob, Spartan had a recall campaign on the cooling fan drive design, dating back about 3 yrs. ago. They actually sent a couple guys around Florida with a trailer full of parts and did the re-work right at your site. No cost to the owner. Now THAT's a responsible outfit!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #8

Yep, my Alante had the retrofit and it fixed all of the cooling problems. There were at least three different fixes to the problem and if you will call Spartan with your VIN they can tell you if it has had the latest and best fix for the cooling problem. Spartan is really good to work with and have always bent over backward to be helpful when I have called them. All just my experience and opinion.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I replaced the horizontal vent covering the radiator with vertical forward facing fins. My temps typically run 173 - 197, about 20 cooler than before. I believe that's what you'll find on the new Entegras that replaced Travel Supreme in the market place. They are manufactured about 50 miles south of Elkhart, IN.
GreatDane37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #10

DLanders. Where did you get the replacement grill?
4x4crazy is offline   Reply With Quote