RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #1

Master power switch at door

Still working on a few things that I am not sure of on our new to us 2006 36DS03
Can anyone tell me what the switch just inside the entry door is for that is labelled "main power" It is a momentary toggle. I switch it and nothing seems to happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201129_140947.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	309736  
Kolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #2

Is the coach hooked to shore power ?

My coach battery disconnect , won't function when I'm on shore power.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:15 PM   #3

It didn't seem to do anything regardless of being plugged to shore power or not. This is why I am not sure what It is supposed to do.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #4

The switch should activate a latching solenoid, somewhere near the house batteries I suspect, that disconnects the batteries from most of the house circuits. If pushing the switch doesn’t stop the 12v power, and you are not on shore power, then the switching circuit is faulty, probably the solenoid or the switch itself.

Can you hear any clicking noise when the switch is pressed? If not, try to hunt down the solenoid and see if it is faulty as it should make an audible sound when switching.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:08 AM   #5

If this coach is , new to you , then a previous owner may have by-passed the relay.
Many times due to a location like you have , it would be tripped while walking up the stairs , and the owner grew tired of that happening.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:15 AM   #6
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I too suspect it has been bypassed.

On many Monaco/HR units around that age range control a latching relay in a compartment below the driver outside compartment.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:04 AM   #7

It may be the "salesman" switch. If you have your main power switch on, this would enable or disable the coach's 12 volt system coming from your batteries. Toggle it once and the system is on. Toggle again, and the 12 volt system is off.

Try it while you have the switch for the step light turned on. You should see the step lights go on and off while trying the procedure above.
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:32 AM   #8

This is all great info. Very much appreciated. My coach has a rotary battery shut off switch back in the compartment where all the batteries are. With the info provided can I assume that this manual batttery shut off switch was installed to bypass the relay system connected to the momentary switch by the door ? I like the idea of having that switch at the door working. With the step lights on I can toggle that switch and nothing changes. I will track down that circuit and see what I can find. Would the shut off relay be back in the battery compartment ?
Old 11-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolly View Post
This is all great info. Very much appreciated. My coach has a rotary battery shut off switch back in the compartment where all the batteries are. With the info provided can I assume that this manual batttery shut off switch was installed to bypass the relay system connected to the momentary switch by the door ? I like the idea of having that switch at the door working. With the step lights on I can toggle that switch and nothing changes. I will track down that circuit and see what I can find. Would the shut off relay be back in the battery compartment ?
Every coach is different. In my coach, for example, the steps are powered by the chassis batteries so watching the step light while testing the switch in your entry may not be a true test since that switch is for house battery circuits.

Further, the disconnect switch in your battery bay may be for the chassis batteries as well, and not the house.

The location of the solenoid depends on the manufacturer. YC1 posted a location that may match your coach.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:28 AM   #10

The coach battery disconnect relay, will be close to the batteries , but you may have to follow the positive cable to the next compartment , as manufacturers mount the relay far enough away to keep the corrosion from battery fumes from causing problems with the connections.
Here's a picture of one common disconnect relay ; yellow circle ; if all the cables have been moved to one side , it's been by-passed . There are fuses mounted on this type of relay , that should be tested if the cables haven't been moved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0217 - Copy.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	309766  
Old 11-30-2020, 03:50 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Definitely sounds like the relay has been by-passed.

On your coach, if it is like my 38DS04, the relay will be located in the small storage compartment behind the right rear wheel. On mine when I open this compartment I see the inverter setting on a shelf. Beneath the inverter is a partition that will swing up exposing a couple relays on the back wall. Again if your coach is like mine, one of these is your battery shut-off relay and the other is the battery boost relay.

If the battery shut-off relay has been by-passed you will find the two large wires on the same relay post. If you remove one of the wires from the relay post your interior lights, refrigerator, and numerous other coach DC systems will be inop. This relay is a high failure part and many times people will bypass it, which eliminates the switch by the door but keeps the refrigerator running.

If you are having trouble identifying the correct relay. There is a battery boost switch on the driver's console. Have someone activate the battery boost switch while you are looking in the storage compartment and you will be able to hear and feel the battery boost relay cycle.

If you determine the battery shut-off relay has failed post your results here and we can help you replace it with a solid state relay that is much more reliable than the electrically latched one that came with your coach.
Ford Ranger Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:50 PM   #12

More great info. Thanks again. I do know that the boost switch beside driver does make a solenoid click at the rear somewhere. Looks like I will get my good wife involved to push the button while I listen for the clicking. I did not see an access panel below the inverter but I will do a good search. Will supply pics of relevant info once I figure more out. Stay tuned. I am interested in the solid state disconnect relay. If that Info could be forwarded I would appreciate it.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:49 PM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolly View Post
...I am interested in the solid state disconnect relay. If that Info could be forwarded I would appreciate it.
Here ya go!
Ford Ranger Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, power, switch