Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:42 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Onan HDKAK QD8000 H-Spec Gremlin

Looking for an idea from the brain trust. I have the above referenced Onan in my mid-engine. We are dry-camping in Atlanta at the motor speedway. Ran the genset on the way up from NW Florida--4hrs straight on the road, not a hickup or fault. Got here and it ran fine...for about six hours. At around 1am, I noticed it had shut off. It would only run for random periods from 1min at its shortest to about an hour. The ONLY code I got on both the remote display and the flashing switch, was a Primary Fault 3, followed by a fault 33. Yes, I know that 33 is NOT supposed to be a code to avoid confusion with the service fault (3 flashes). The remote display showed a "33 - Coolant over temp" fault. Only problem was that we were about 36-F ambient, no obstructions. Serviced oil, filer and fuel filter about 29hrs back.

So...I went to Home Depot and rented a 3000kw Honda intending to just run the bus off of that. And...the genset ran for the entire afternoon. It did shut down twice, each time only giving the top-level 3. No other faults are now indicated.

Any ideas what might cause the gen set to shut off like this with no hint? It has done this off/on since I acquired. I thought it was a fault with the Auto Gen Start, but that is in manual.

Appreciate the assist.
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2017, 03:42 AM   #2

Hi f15epilot,
Had the same issue on my unit last year..... dreaded code 33. Turned out in the end to be (2) potenial problems. (1) After the unit kept shutting down after only running a minute or two, it turned out that the water pump belt had shredded itself totally off the pully. As you stated, what's funny is that sometimes it would run anywhere from a minute to up to an hour. I beleive that maybe before the belt totally disintegrated it would let the unit run longer as long as the belt kept the water pump turning, if belt slippage occured then the "overheated" code 33 would shut the unit down.

(2) A Cumminis dearler I brought my rig to for an oil change and genny service found that the coolant hose (which the radiator cap is on) had a kink in it inside the unit, They took around 4-6 inches out of it. So far the unit has preformed flawlessly. One note: When changing the belt on the water pump in the rear of the unit, it's best to take the pully off the pump to get the belt on. The belt will not "slip" over the pully and there is no "idler slack arm" to help get the belt over the pully.
06TSME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Good advice from 06 above. You can crawl underneath a visually verify the belt is intact. Might have to remove an access cover.

The other item I've experienced personally is the temperature sensor in the water jacket had failed. Essentially the generator is unable to verify what temperature it is at and it shuts itself down for safety.

The belt is fairly easy to change. The sensor on the other hand required a lot of work. Had to remove the generator, remove all the external cover, drill through the internal wind shroud to get a tool on the sensor, and then the sensor broke as I removed it. Lots and lots of work!
RV Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks so much for the pointers. Will investigate upon our return. I went to Home Depot and rented a generator, leaving the QD running while gone. That was 32 hours ago...The QD has been running steadily ever since (knock on wood) without a hickup. I'm thinking it might have been air in the system, or a bad connection on the temp sensor. Or maybe the Onan just didn't want to be supplanted by a Honda?

Regardless, investigation into a Top Level "Code 3" with no secondary level faults will continue. Time to service the genset upon return, anyway.
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan