Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #1

Paint Checking and Clear Coat Peeling

Travel Supreme Paint;
Clear Coat Peeling
Checking
How many have issues?

What has been the/your solution?

Pictures of work – before and after.

Opinions – Solutions – Thoughts

2005 TS 42DS04 – Busskipper – Checking has attacked all my dark flat walls.

Opinion is that the Paint and the Painter did not do a correct job. Many say that the issue is the Fiberglass walls but if that were the case then the issue would be on “ALL” the fiberglass not just the Dark Colors? IMHO, it indicates that the paint is likely the issue as it should, be the same, with every color.? But then on the front and rear cap the checking is not as evident. So ……the walls likely are partially to blame.

On the Checking the solution is to “Grin and Polish it” as the only real solution is to sand down and repaint – or replace sidewalls and repaint – both undesirable in My Opinion.($$$$$)

Thoughts – are to Wash with Dawn – Compound the surface – then Polish with a Non Wax (Nu Finish – or the like – I have tried at least 6 different ones and the white checking always comes back) – the Coach looks really good outside 6-8 feet but still has visible checking on the dark colors.

Peeling is on the top radius – worst in the front – but also noticeable on the sides.

Opinion is that the Paint and the Painter did not do a correct job. This was on Precision Painting – top was not clean and prepped correctly so the finish failed. I say this because it failed very early on and now has progressed to the point where it needs to be corrected.

Solutions – Patch Paint service – will likely last 3-5+ years if done correctly – if done lightly – might last 2-3 years. Procedure is to chip off clear coat – tape off a line so that it looks good – wet sand – prime – wet sand – paint color – wet sand – then 2-4 coats of clear coat to last. Result will be Beautiful but costly in time involved and may return on a lower non treated section.

In my case I am going to do this Myself on the front just above the windshield, as this is the worst and most visible and viable solution.

Some thoughts – Paint color codes/numbers are in my back electrical panel and are all available – clear coat? Has anyone tried the new two stage spray cans - https://www.amazon.com/Spraymax%C2%A...=1&*entries*=0 – thinking I may try this as the Cure? Need a little advise from the paint police.
While this is a pain it is not particular to TS and is something that many are needing to do – so to get the correct process will be helpful.

Would love to get some info from others who have or are addressing this issue.

Thanks to all who help out.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
I currently do not have a problem, but my rig is mostly silver and a few shades of gray, which are relatively light in color. I have a few dark red swirls, but the areas are very small and so far no problem. I have also read the problem is common on the darker colors and is tied to a fiberglass supplier issue. I would think if it was a paint/surface prep issue it would be everywhere and since this is not happening on just TS's or Precision Paint coaches, the fiberglass supplier makes the most sense. My theory (and only a theory because I do not have a deep understanding of the materials used) is that the darker colors get hotter and may be causing the fiberglass matte to off gas or possibly the localize thermal expansion results in the surface paint checking issue.

As far as home repairs, if the problem is not wide spread I would do exactly as you have described. I have purchased cans of base coat and clear coat and have been able to match small touch up areas pretty well on both the MOHO and my cars. Rather than ordering something on-line, I have found local auto paint supply companies that will match the color for you (either provide the OEM color numbers or bring in a door panel for them to match) and they will put it into an aerosol can. If you are doing this on the top of the cap the line between the original and repainted surfaces would not be noticeable. One of these days I plan on painting the side of my slides to match the stripes using these materials. Good luck.
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:53 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Agree with Lou that the checking problem is with the fiberglass and not the paint. Mine is worse on the dark areas too. I think that the dark colors just get hotter in the sun thus causing the fiberglass/gellcoat to cure more than the lighter painted areas. Yes, the checks can be felt through the paint with a fingernail but my theory is the resin is curing and shrinking causing the paint/clear coat to check. (And tht explanation is worth exactly what you paid for it, since I have zero training or professional knowledge!) My current plan is to live with it as long as my coach still looks good from 6-8 feet.

I also have experienced clear coat peeling and had Paul at Precision Painting do a "Caps & Wraps" paint job for me in 2015. ($2700.00) Everything still looks great except for the front cap, which is already peeling again. Not sure the prep was adequate in this area. Have not talked with Paul about it yet but I am confident he will make it good the next time I am in Indiana. Short story long, your plan for the clear coat will probably work just as well and will save you lots of $$$$!

FYI, I ordered some chip repair paint from Precision per the paint numbers on my coach. They didn't match my paint. Not sure why I would think 10 year old paint numbers would still be valid? (DUH) I'm going to take my refrigerator cover to a Pittsburg Paint retailer and have him electronically match my paint. Then I should have a good match to the color as it exists today.

Now you have two opinions about paint checking! (I'm sure you know that opinions are just like noses. We all have one and they will all be different!) If you want more comments do a Google search on IRV2 paint checking. I'm sure you will find several hours worth of reading!

Lou, I wanted to be like the cool guys with Selects and have my slide end caps painted. After talking with Paul and geting a quote for $3200.00 I decided my vanity wasn't worth that much!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:10 AM   #4

I was thinking that this was a common issue, Guess Not? ..

Busskipper

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:29 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post

I was thinking that this was a common issue, Guess Not? ..

Busskipper

It was only a common issue with older coaches that were skinned with the defective fiberglass that their suppliers had made for them. Once the defective fiberglass was used up it was no longer an issue.

Unfortunately my coach is one of them but I have no plans to spend $40-$50 thousand dollars to have it look pretty.

Oh, BTW, it will show up in the lighter colors but not as quickly or badly as the darker colors.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermal Checking-01.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	130196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermal Checking-02.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	130197  

Name:	Thermal Checking-03.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	130198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermal Checking-04.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	130199  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #6

According to the people at Extreme Graphics the dark color paint gets so hot in the Sun that the fiberglass is heated to the point that .... I get a little fuzzy here as to what actually happens ... but the result is that the fiberglass causes the paint to crack. They encourage lighter colors to avoid this.

This seems to fit the explanation of either a fiberglass problem or dark paint areas only problem.
AccessMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
will make look better

I have a similar problem and found a way to make it look better. I got some cans of shoe shine paste polish in maroon, brown and beige. Just like shining your shoes, put it on and buff it off. I even use a shoe brush and rag. The checking is still there, but the shoe polish colors it and it does not grab your eye. Application last about a year. Beats a $43,000 re-panel job quote by Speciality RV.
drwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Clear Coat Paint Peel - Similar Issue

Similar issue on the coach I'm acquiring. This pic is from the pre-inspection and is the worst spot--the radius edge over the entrance door. The driver's side has a smaller, but similar peel; and the horizontal/top parts of the raised relief on the rear cap (the 'box' that outlines the TS logo on the door that lifts to expose the garage) has two small spots, one each corner. These are all in the 'black' parts of the black/silver/orange scheme.

Since I do not expect the seller to remediate these in any way, my plan is to address the top ones first. Taking some cues from "The Bodger Fix" to clear coat repair, I plan to wet-sand the areas (800 or 1000 grit) to (but not through) the top color layer, top coat with several layers of clear coat, wet sand that with 1,000 to feather/blend the edges, top coat once more, and see how that works. Since these two areas are on the roof, no one will be able to see them until I get the race deck installed (Trickfab in Sonoa, GA). If the fix isn't too bad, I'll apply it to the rear door areas.

Anyone try this type of fix for a similar peel (not crack) issue?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Paint Peel - Passenger Side Roof.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	135543  
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Crown clear coat peel

I got some matching spray paint at Sherman Williams Auto Paint store. I did some sanding and sprayed the area. I then sprayed some clear coat on. Looks good , much better than the peel
drwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:37 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by f15epilot View Post
...Taking some cues from "The Bodger Fix" to clear coat repair, I plan to wet-sand the areas (800 or 1000 grit) to (but not through) the top color layer, top coat with several layers of clear coat, wet sand that with 1,000 to feather/blend the edges, top coat once more, and see how that works...
Sounds like an excellent solution to me. Let us know how it works I have a couple areas that could use some help also. Might make a good winter project for me.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #11

Hi all,
We're considering a 2008 TS Envoy. Kept inside so no checking. Yet. After reading about manufacturers using faulty materials, I was wondering what year or years this problem was most prevent.

Thanks!

2021 Newmar Baystar 3226
rickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #12

I don't mind peeling clear coat, that can be repaired. Unfortunately ours has the paint checking. Like others I don't see me ever spending 40-50k to repair
Old 09-10-2016, 01:48 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
I don't what years it was most common, but so far no problem on mine. However, I have read of others in the same year with the issue. My colors are light (silver and grey) and based on some of the other things I have read, the lighter colors do not check as badly.
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #14

It's pretty common on '05 models from various manufacturers.

If you are just trying to make the checking less noticeable, try this:
https://www.turtlewax.com/shop/produ...box-finish-kit

It works well on most dark colors and is pretty good wax. Lasts a few months ( I did mine 6 months ago and it's due). You need about 2 kits for a big rig. I did small sections over 2 or 3 days as the sun moved.

Tags
paint