Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2021, 09:39 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Parking Brake - Failure to Release

Posting this so others might avoid what we went through...

We just got our ME back from Lazy Days who repaired the damage from our front tire blowout and the ensuing off-road excursion. In their inspections, they had noted the airbags were slow to fill, but signed them off as good with no repairs. That played into this excursion into on-site RV repairs...

We set off on a 9day/8night trip to St Pete (3 nights) and Daytona Speedway (next 5). Trip to and out of St. Pete was uneventful. Arrived Infield staging Tues, got cleared to enter, went to release the parking brake and it would not stay in. There seemed to be little to no resistance pushing the knob, even though the air showed good on both systems. While sitting there waiting on the mobile on-site RV mechanic, I found a post by Sailor Lou (I think) describing how he got his parking brake to release by bleeding off the air, then re-pressurizing. I did that, and sure enough, it released (with good pressure at the knob). Still, I decided to have the mechanic check things out. He determined that the rear air bags were leaking (true; the leak was audible) and those leaking bags were the cause of the brake not releasing. His solution was to disconnect both rear air bags to stop the leak. He did that and we 'thought' that was what got us out of the parking lot (more on that later). Didn't like driving with deflated rear bags but it got me connected to power and water, and I'd have five days to figure out what to do next.

I called Spartan the next day and it turns out Firestone plant that made the rear bags shut down in May, so getting replacements was going to take a while. We planned to leave the track Sunday, park the unit at a nearby RV park, and return with the bags when they came in. Then the problems got worse. When we rolled out of our spot Sunday and stopped to hook up the dingy, the brake again failed to release. Ugh...we were stuck. I again bled off both tanks, re-pressurized, released the brake and pulled back into a spot in the now vacant infield. No one minded us spending the night while we worked on plan 2 (not that we could move with a suspected bad brake system). About this time, the original on-site mechanic saw us there. We told him what was happening and he was totally stumped.

I called Good Sam Roadside who dispatched a mechanic...the next day because there weren't any available that Sunday. In the mean time, I searched for a solution and a friend sent me a link to this iRV2 post:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/park...se-392434.html

That was exactly what we had going on. I called Spartan Monday morning and asked for the air schematic the OP referenced. They emailed it just as the GS dispatched mechanic arrived. He confirmed that the air bags could NOT be the source of the brake issue since we had air in both systems, and reconnected both bags. He also confirmed that once released, the parking brake would not 'reset' unless we either lost air or pulled the handle. Still, he was baffled on what was causing the brake to only release once. I referenced the OP's description of the check valve. He was not familiar with any such check-valve at the tanks, and didn't seem to see that as the cause. Like the first mechanic, he was quite perplexed as to the cause. We thanked him, hitched up the dingy, bled/re-pressurized the tanks to release the brake, and headed home. Stops along the way were interesting as DW and I had to take turns holding the brake while the other used the facilities or walked the dogs. Eventually we got home and parked in our hangar. Repairs to follow this weekend.

So .. Here's what I've learned. Looking at the diagram, the double check valve (a KN25060) available at most NAPA stores or from Spartan feeds air from both tanks to the release knob on the dash. If it fails, the knob gets no air and won't stay in. If bleeding/re-pressurizing gets the knob to stay in, then the valve IS GOOD (though it is available at NAPA for $40+/- if it does). Looking at the diagram, there is a 'min-pressure' valve on the #2 tank that limits loss of air to the air bags to 60psi. You can actually inflate the air bags, pull the bleed lanyards, and the bags will stay inflated...that check valve isolates the two systems. Hence, a leaking air bag won't kill your brakes. Also learned that on-site RV mechanics are usually good at working on A/C's, heaters, and other items common to ALL RV's (gassers, pull-behinds, etc.) but may not be the best source of info on diesel pushers. Calling roadside for a heavy truck mechanic is likely better, yet still no guarantee. And again, iRV2 proved to be the BEST source of info on the issue.

I'm replacing all four air bags this weekend (SD Truck Springs had the rear 'in stock') along with installing the new double check valve (from NAPA). Spartan already got me the front bags in 3 days. I'll post progress pics/info as it goes.

Bottom line...if your Parking Brake won't release: chock the wheels, shut down, bleed the tanks via the lanyards (not the jacks), and restart/re-pressurize. That might give you pressure to release the brakes. If not, you can manually 'cage' the rear brakes (search YouTube) and limp along on the front brakes (see OP). And if you have 'good' air pressure, a leaking air bag(s) is not the reason your parking brake will not release.

More to follow. Here is the diagram. It is quite helpful in understanding the system, and does not seem unique to the ME/Spartan mid-engine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Air System - Brakes.pdf (316.4 KB, 46 views)
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2021, 10:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by f15epilot View Post
Posting this so others might avoid what we went through...

We just got our ME back from Lazy Days who repaired the damage from our front tire blowout and the ensuing off-road excursion. In their inspections, they had noted the airbags were slow to fill, but signed them off as good with no repairs. That played into this excursion into on-site RV repairs...

We set off on a 9day/8night trip to St Pete (3 nights) and Daytona Speedway (next 5). Trip to and out of St. Pete was uneventful. Arrived Infield staging Tues, got cleared to enter, went to release the parking brake and it would not stay in. There seemed to be little to no resistance pushing the knob, even though the air showed good on both systems. While sitting there waiting on the mobile on-site RV mechanic, I found a post by Sailor Lou (I think) describing how he got his parking brake to release by bleeding off the air, then re-pressurizing. I did that, and sure enough, it released (with good pressure at the knob). Still, I decided to have the mechanic check things out. He determined that the rear air bags were leaking (true; the leak was audible) and those leaking bags were the cause of the brake not releasing. His solution was to disconnect both rear air bags to stop the leak. He did that and we 'thought' that was what got us out of the parking lot (more on that later). Didn't like driving with deflated rear bags but it got me connected to power and water, and I'd have five days to figure out what to do next.

I called Spartan the next day and it turns out Firestone plant that made the rear bags shut down in May, so getting replacements was going to take a while. We planned to leave the track Sunday, park the unit at a nearby RV park, and return with the bags when they came in. Then the problems got worse. When we rolled out of our spot Sunday and stopped to hook up the dingy, the brake again failed to release. Ugh...we were stuck. I again bled off both tanks, re-pressurized, released the brake and pulled back into a spot in the now vacant infield. No one minded us spending the night while we worked on plan 2 (not that we could move with a suspected bad brake system). About this time, the original on-site mechanic saw us there. We told him what was happening and he was totally stumped.

I called Good Sam Roadside who dispatched a mechanic...the next day because there weren't any available that Sunday. In the mean time, I searched for a solution and a friend sent me a link to this iRV2 post:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/park...se-392434.html

That was exactly what we had going on. I called Spartan Monday morning and asked for the air schematic the OP referenced. They emailed it just as the GS dispatched mechanic arrived. He confirmed that the air bags could NOT be the source of the brake issue since we had air in both systems, and reconnected both bags. He also confirmed that once released, the parking brake would not 'reset' unless we either lost air or pulled the handle. Still, he was baffled on what was causing the brake to only release once. I referenced the OP's description of the check valve. He was not familiar with any such check-valve at the tanks, and didn't seem to see that as the cause. Like the first mechanic, he was quite perplexed as to the cause. We thanked him, hitched up the dingy, bled/re-pressurized the tanks to release the brake, and headed home. Stops along the way were interesting as DW and I had to take turns holding the brake while the other used the facilities or walked the dogs. Eventually we got home and parked in our hangar. Repairs to follow this weekend.

So .. Here's what I've learned. Looking at the diagram, the double check valve (a KN25060) available at most NAPA stores or from Spartan feeds air from both tanks to the release knob on the dash. If it fails, the knob gets no air and won't stay in. If bleeding/re-pressurizing gets the knob to stay in, then the valve IS GOOD (though it is available at NAPA for $40+/- if it does). Looking at the diagram, there is a 'min-pressure' valve on the #2 tank that limits loss of air to the air bags to 60psi. You can actually inflate the air bags, pull the bleed lanyards, and the bags will stay inflated...that check valve isolates the two systems. Hence, a leaking air bag won't kill your brakes. Also learned that on-site RV mechanics are usually good at working on A/C's, heaters, and other items common to ALL RV's (gassers, pull-behinds, etc.) but may not be the best source of info on diesel pushers. Calling roadside for a heavy truck mechanic is likely better, yet still no guarantee. And again, iRV2 proved to be the BEST source of info on the issue.

I'm replacing all four air bags this weekend (SD Truck Springs had the rear 'in stock') along with installing the new double check valve (from NAPA). Spartan already got me the front bags in 3 days. I'll post progress pics/info as it goes.

Bottom line...if your Parking Brake won't release: chock the wheels, shut down, bleed the tanks via the lanyards (not the jacks), and restart/re-pressurize. That might give you pressure to release the brakes. If not, you can manually 'cage' the rear brakes (search YouTube) and limp along on the front brakes (see OP). And if you have 'good' air pressure, a leaking air bag(s) is not the reason your parking brake will not release.

More to follow. Here is the diagram. It is quite helpful in understanding the system, and does not seem unique to the ME/Spartan mid-engine.
One point, caging the parking brake chamber disables the parking brakes but has no effect on the service brakes.

The service brakes will still work and stop as usual.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:57 AM   #3

Wow...nice work figuring out that one AND handling it to completion!
Old 09-02-2021, 08:24 AM   #4
Epp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Wow...nice work figuring out that one AND handling it to completion!
And posting it for future reference for the next victim!

I love this forum, it is an invaluable resource that has helped me and others out so much!

Epp
Old 09-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks so much for the info! Great write up indeed!
Old 09-04-2021, 06:48 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Follow-up. Did the check valve change last night. Took an hour, mostly because the compression air connections are a pain to get out without damaging the compression collars or inserts (wish like the bags they were Pex fittings).

See pics. Valve is located up front between the tanks and easy to find. It's mounted to a crossmember. The hoses are color-matched to the schematic. The input lines from the tanks (Green & Red) attach at the sides; the orange output hose connects in the middle and goes right up to the dash.

I bought one from Spartan, but found a second (cheaper because no shipping) at NAPA. I'll keep that as a spare that I hope to never need. Easy install, even on the road. Bolt that holds it is a 7/16th; hose fittings are 5/8th. Those wrenches and some Teflon tape or thread seal is all you need.

Cycled parking brake a dozen times...no problems. Now if the rear bags would arrive, I'd be road ready again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210903_184002132.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	341943   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210903_180427749.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	341944  

f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:12 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Been there done that about 4 months ago. I ended up changing both rear brake chambers (pain in the butt) and the parking brake assembly in the coach before I found the culprit the check valve.
MoePo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, parking