Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #1

Slide topper problem - HELP

I have a 2006 45' DS14 Select and it looks like my slide topper on the rear passenger side (door side) is keeping the slide from fully sealing at the top.

Tried cleaning etc and no help. How do yu release the roller tension? Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance Buck
hwbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwbuck View Post
I have a 2006 45' DS14 Select and it looks like my slide topper on the rear passenger side (door side) is keeping the slide from fully sealing at the top.

Tried cleaning etc and no help. How do yu release the roller tension? Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance Buck
Will watch this one. You are not alone.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:49 AM   #3

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Not sure what your exact problem is...No need to release tension on spring unless replacing spring. With the slide out, First open the awning cover by releasing the lower spring pins on both ends using a 1/16 in pin punch. Role the cover on to the awning and then release the upper pins and remove the cover. Then Looking at the awning/topper, there is a hole on the right end of the roller you will need to align with the spring hub and put a 3/16 x 3 in bolt or similar size pin and this will lock the roller and spring. Then on the left end you will find an allen head bolt in the center of the end cap that secures the roller bearing. Removing this will allow you to remove the roller and awning intact. Then you can roll up any slack that has stretched over time and reassemble. You can add tension to the spring using the above procedure, but run the slide out about half way, then remove cover and pin roller/spring assy. as above. Run slide back in (NOT OUT). Now remove roller and roll up the slack you created. You have now added preloaded tension to the spring. Reassemble.
If you find the spring pins on the end caps/cover assy. are stiff, it may be time to upgrade/replace the end caps to the updated caps that use bolts instead of spring pins to fasten the cover.
Your roller spring may be weak and need replaced also.
Check the right end cap that the tab that engages the cog on the spring assy. is not bent or broken.
You can get the new style end caps and roller springs on Amazon.
Check the stitching on the toppers, most likely rotted out due to time.
Try Stone Vos in Brooksville, FL for new awning material and/or replacement of same.
IMPORTANT...FYI, don't forget to remove the pin/bolt or whatever you used to lock the roller/spring before running the slide out.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:09 AM   #4

Roamer GREAT info!!!! I've seen some good videos around too, they would probably help.

Search by the manufacturer on YouTube - like "girard slide topper"
Ron & Peri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:17 AM   #5

Yes videos also on replacing topper material with good guidelines, but better methods available.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #6

Just another FYI for us with TS products that are 11 yrs. plus in age with OEM Carefree SOK lll toppers, if your unit has been used over the years, then it is very likely that the material appears to be in OK shape, but please look closely at the stitching. Carefree used a thread that did not age well when exposed to UV. In addition it was a single row stitch and not a double row. What you are exposing yourself to is in a windy condition, with decayed thread, is a rip or pullout of material on the coach rail where it is attached. Not good especially if it finally fails going down the road.
On my coach all I had to do was grab overlap on the seams and seam totally ripped out. Got new toppers, window awnings to match coming. Upgrading end caps too, had one bad one that let spring tension release completely. Spring cog jumped by a bad end cap and lost tension, don't re-tension spring until you inspect right end cap.
Girard roof awnings still good...don't use that much so little exposure.
Just a heads up for all, check those seams for bad thread, might make a trip more enjoyable.
Age is something that just happens.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:01 PM   #7

Here is a picture of a new end cap and a worn end cap. The one on left is new, notice the bent and worn dog on the right one. Most likely due to wind inflating the topper and banging the cog against the dog. This is what released the spring tention not allowing the material to roll up when the slide went in. I added stainless washers to the bearing end to get a better purchase on the dog/engaging.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:31 AM   #8

Great Information

Excellent write up Roamer! Time to go out side and try the fix.

Thanks again Buck
hwbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
ME Driver's Side Slideout Topper Material Replacement

I had a similar issue caused by the Carefree thread deterioration. The thread at the rear fell apart creating slack that let the slide topper material get caught in the top of the slide area, even though the front (more visible) end of the cover appeared taught. I replaced that material with a new one from Tough-Top Awnings in Washington State. Their website is chocked full of videos for the removal and install. The new topper is significantly more sturdy...it's like a vinyl coated material where the old one was like a cloth sail. And Tough-Top offers them in multiple colors, not just cream-colored canvas.

My only issue was getting the topper rolled up tight enough, which required a different procedure than described above. Mine has a bolt on the forward end that locks the spring in place. I had to remove the bolt holding the sliding bar into the mount at the forward end, then slide that end of the topper slightly out to reveal the inner tube that is attached to the spring. Holding that inner tube with some rubber coated channel locks, I loosened the bolt, manually turned the spring (as if the slide was opening), tightened the bolt, adjusted the channel lock grip, and repeat. After several trial/repeat, I got enough pre-load that it remained tight. From there, it was just a matter of sliding the bracket back in and setting the bolt back in the bracket.

Anyway...highly recommend Tough-Tops. Just give them the type of awning (they have a guide), measure the length and the distance from the side of the coach to the outside of the slide. Pick your color and order. They adjust the width for the extra material on the roller when opened. Pretty simple process.
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:09 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The slide toppers on my coach were in good shape, but the thread gave loose along the sides. I removed all four and took them to a local boat cover shop. They told me the thread used by Carefree was inferior. It was white in color which means the thread was “bleached” to make it white, which weakens it. They used black thread which they claimed was stronger.

I then flipped the toppers upon reinstalling so that the material now exposed when my slides are open, was material that previously was unexposed wrapped up on the roller. I thoroughly cleaned the toppers then applied 303, prior to reinstalling.

This was not a difficult job but took some time, as I did it all myself.

Tags
problem, slide