Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Slide Toppers

Hi All..
Anyone recently replaced their slide toppers? Two of mine are beginning to tear and the third has it's stitching coming apart..
If you have where did you buy them and approximately how much were they?
Watched the Youtube videos and didn't look that difficult to do yourself..
Thanks in advance for your help..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Hi All..

Anyone recently replaced their slide toppers? Two of mine are beginning to tear and the third has it's stitching coming apart..

Ron

Call these guys and talk to Chris:

http://stonevoss.com/

Chris makes them to your measurements and he only uses the highest quality fabric and thread. He is a coach owner himself and he is a perfectionist.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've installed ones from Tough Tops on our Dutch Star and helped a friend with ones on his Monaco from StoneVoss. Both were well made and much thicker than the OEM ones.
If I ever need the fabric I'll go with Tough Top.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ron I also used Stonevoss and talked to Chris. He sent me color swatches so I could pick the exact match for my coach and then made them for me. I had the guys at Elite RV in Harrisburg Oregon install them for me they fit perfectly. Much better quality than original.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ron: We measured X x Y and ordered a little larger than what we had. ShadePro in AZ made them according to our specs. Picked a different color, too. Had them in a couple weeks as I recall.

They ARE easy to install but best when you have a buddy with his own ladder to help out. You will be able to do four toppers in one sunny Colorado day, no prob.

/ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:04 PM   #6

We have a 04 Essex we purchased new and use the coach at least 150 a year with no outside cover.We still have the same slide out covers and have done small repairs over the years with RV Goop from Wal-Mart when needed and use 303 on the top of slide out covers to keep them water proof. Still think we have a couple yearsbefore replacement time.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:20 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Ron, we replaced all of ours last year with Tough Tops, which we are happy with. Mention RV Geeks and get a discount!

Definitely watch the videos a couple of times. Two people with ladders make the install a lot easier on the big dining room slide.

Couple of other ticks that will make installation easier:
1. File the bottom edge of the track at the insertion point enough to to round the sharp edge so it doesn't catch the fabric.
2. We cut a slot in the track on the drivers side so we didn't have to maneuver the bedroom cover the entire length of the coach. Our rear end cap prevented removal of the drivers side bedroom cover from the rear of the coach.
3. Due to the extra thickness and weight of the Tough Tops we had to increase the tension on the spring a couple revolutions to get them to roll up. (Don't ask me how I know this!)

DW and I managed to replace all three of ours one morning and that included taking the big dining room cover off so we could add additional spring tension!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #8

Coastal Campers
Spartan Chassis
Wind damage in Nevada couple years ago, all 4 ripped. Replace in Klamath Falls, OR, by Courtesy Auto & RV Center. Courtesy used a tent maker, heavy duty material using sunbrella material. Courtesy and material excellent. Only problems, holds water; watch OUT WHEN WIFE BRINGS SLIDE OUT IN, when you are disconnecting the hook ups, one wet!!! Other RVers, I know, has had good luck using | RV Awnings &amp: Slide Toppers The Nation's Leader Stone Vos
Redonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redonion View Post
Only problems, holds water; watch OUT WHEN WIFE BRINGS SLIDE OUT IN, when you are disconnecting the hook ups,[/url]
And I thought I was the only one that had experienced the slide topper bath! How can that much water come down that quickly??!!!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #10

Helped a friend install stonevoss on his coach, and plan to use same on my coach. Have heard Tough Top is also good, likely the best two.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #11

Just replaced what was left of my slide toppers with replacements from Tough Top Awnings. Quality kit and it was made and shipped the next day.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #12

Just had mine done today. It took two men about 1 hour to replace all three. Labor charge was $260. Covers were ordered from Care Free as exact replacement and cost $800 plus freight and tax.
yackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #13

We replaced ours about 3 years ago from RV Superstore in Pahrump, Nevada. http://www.rvsuperstorenv.com/
We had all of our awnings { a large awning, 3 windows and 2 slide toppers but I don't have the breakdown. I feel if you call or e-mail them with your measurements, they would give you a quote. We did request a sturdier fabric so it wouldn't "flap" in the wind. Let us know how you make out. Hugs, Di
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Hi All..
Ron
2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post

I've installed ones from Tough Tops on our Dutch Star and helped a friend with ones on his Monaco from StoneVoss. Both were well made and much thicker than the OEM ones.

If I ever need the fabric I'll go with Tough Top.
MR_D,

I would compare the differences between the fabric, thread, stitching and the warranty that Tough Top offers versus what Stone Vos offers.

In the end Tough Top cannot even come close to Stone Vos. Granted, Tough Top products will be cheaper but they won't last as long either. You get what you pay for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post

Helped a friend install stonevoss on his coach, and plan to use same on my coach. Have heard Tough Top is also good, likely the best two.
Tough Top is just OK.

Stone Vos is superior to any RV toppers and awning vendors you will find available across the country.

Read THIS post that I had made on another thread. Check out both vendors comparing the answers from those four important questions. If you have doubts after that as to which one is better then you are only interested in getting the cheapest price.

Stone Vos uses Solarfix thread which is a lifetime thread that will NEVER rot or break. Their warranty is by far the very best in the industry - 4 years on their workmanship and 10 years on the fabric. Plus Tough Top does not offer any Acrylic fabric found on most mid to high end RV's. If you choice is Vinyl fabric, Stone Vos also has the heaviest vinyl in the industry, 19 oz's.

Tough Top can't even come close to the quality, workmanship and reputation that Stone Vos offers.

JMHO

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide