Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2020, 07:25 AM   #29

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegandBob View Post
Our TS is a 2005 Select. I have found where the furnace is actually through the Aqua Hot. So do I need to have the diesel and electric buttons in the bathroom cupboard where the controls are, both turned on? I apologize for such dumb questions, but we are first timers, and this is all new to us. Thank you in advance for any help. I don't have more info on it, as it is at a campsite and I am at my house, staying warm, but worried about the heat in the MH... I know there is over half tank of diesel, and I think he said the aqua hot is 450.
Your Coach and Aquahot are a year newer than mine but PROBABLY work the same.

You cannot run the furnace in any zone while running a heat pump in any other zone.

For heat you either run all furnace or all heat pump (with one exception discussed later)

The auquahot heats your hot water and probably preheats your engine on electric or diesel or both. Conversley your engine when running may heat your water and furnace.

Electric only will provide hot water for a shower for a short time.

Electric only will heat the furnace/coach and keep it above 60 deg F down to about 40 deg F outside temp.

For continuous hot water for a shower or or for furnace with outside temps below 40degF you will need diesel on.

If on shore power or generator leave both on as it uses less diesel.

My coach has 3 zones. One for each of the A/Cs / heat pumps. All controlled by the thermostat in the coach.

When you switch mode to furnace you will note there is no zone 2 furnace. Zone 2 furnace is in the basement as is it's thermostat.

My thermostat is just inside the small compartment door that houses the basement freezer on the bulkhead between it and the water bay. This provides heat to keep your tanks and water lines from freezing.

Keep this on the lowest setting above off (around 40 deg F) it is heated by both diesel and electric. Zone 2 furnace can function while using the heat pumps for the coach.

I THINK the reason you can't run the furnace upstairs in conjunction with a heat pump is they share the same temp sensors and your thermostat can only connect the sensors to one or the other.

You need at least a 1/4 tank of fuel to use diesel for aquahot or the generator.

Some of this info may be incorrect as I have derived it largely from experience rather than knowledgeable advice from anyone who is more experienced.

Also I have a hydrohot (an older version of aquahot) as opposed to an aquahot so things may be a bit different.

If you haven't already done so I would get a service tech who is experienced in aquahot go over your system. These are complex systems with many controls and sensors and everything has to function correctly. They also require routine recurring cleaning and maintenence.

If anybody spots any incorrect information in the above please correct me.

You won't hurt my feelings.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2020, 09:01 PM   #30

Hi Matt we just purchased our 45ms24 and will be meeting the current owner with it half way between us and him which puts us with a 1200 mile first trip. This is our first RV and we have done about 2 months of research. Anything you could let us know would be greatly appreciated
J2000Gtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2000Gtx View Post
Hi Matt we just purchased our 45ms24 and will be meeting the current owner with it half way between us and him which puts us with a 1200 mile first trip. This is our first RV and we have done about 2 months of research. Anything you could let us know would be greatly appreciated
From another similar question;

Be sure whatever you look at has the Cross Bracing done.

Check and ask about the Windshield. Popping out was a problem in some.

Coach Door be sure it has the Air Lock.

Shower door rollers/bearings on the top makes opening and closing doors smooth.

Color scheme outside - lighter colors did better to prevent paint checking. If stored inside even better.

If the ride is sloppy then find out if/when/where they had the front end aligned? Big deal here - you should be able to drive the coach with one finger if the alignment is done right. This goes for all Spartan Chassis.

Tires wear and their build date.

Great Coach - Be sure all is well with the Hydro Hot - run it for a Good while - Longer than just on and off - it needs to run ALL Night,

Best of Luck, and Welcome to the TS Family,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:58 AM   #32

Busskipper thank you for the advice, the one we are purchasing is the sahara sand color which is black red and like a metallic beige color. I’m having all new tires put on and can have it aligned while that’s done, it has 70k on it. The existing owner has kept it inside and has told us there are no signs of spider cracking on it. He also owns a truck shop and has liven the chassis a full once over as he is going to be driving it about 1200 miles to meet us half way with it to take possession. I don’t have any experience with hydro hot so I’m not really sure what to look for as far as that’s concerned. And how about the windshield bracing? How would I know that was done or if it’s necessary to have done? Lastly what would be considered a good deal as far as pricing? Thank you again John
Old 02-11-2020, 07:33 AM   #33

Quote:
Busskipper thank you for the advice, the one we are purchasing is the sahara sand color which is black red and like a metallic beige color. I’m having all new tires put on and can have it aligned while that’s done, it has 70k on it. The existing owner has kept it inside and has told us there are no signs of spider cracking on it. He also owns a truck shop and has liven the chassis a full once over as he is going to be driving it about 1200 miles to meet us half way with it to take possession. I don’t have any experience with hydro hot so I’m not really sure what to look for as far as that’s concerned. And how about the windshield bracing? How would I know that was done or if it’s necessary to have done? Lastly what would be considered a good deal as far as pricing? Thank you again John
Cross bracing images;

https://www.google.com/search?q=trav...w=1094&bih=510

Only you will know the good Deal$$$ - but you will know it when you see it

He will know the HH so have him operate it for you and show you any quirks it might have - should also include a filter and a fuel nozzle as a spare in the purchase - always carry one - if not order it from Amazon and have it with you.

Are you driving to to the Mid point in a Toad to be able to tow back?

Sounds like an adventure right off the bat

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...S24-5011196711

Before all this begins I'd hope he has taken the time to send you literally Hundreds of Images - High Def so you can zoom in to se details - so much easier than a surprise 1,200 miles from home.

Hope this helps,

Best of Luck, they are Great Coaches.

edit - have him also go over the leveling system and how to set the null - also to do it manually - poor practice in leveling is what has lead to many windshield failures.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Cross bracing images;

https://www.google.com/search?q=trav...w=1094&bih=510

Only you will know the good Deal$$$ - but you will know it when you see it

He will know the HH so have him operate it for you and show you any quirks it might have - should also include a filter and a fuel nozzle as a spare in the purchase - always carry one - if not order it from Amazon and have it with you.

Are you driving to to the Mid point in a Toad to be able to tow back?

Sounds like an adventure right off the bat

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...S24-5011196711

Before all this begins I'd hope he has taken the time to send you literally Hundreds of Images - High Def so you can zoom in to se details - so much easier than a surprise 1,200 miles from home.

Hope this helps,

Best of Luck, they are Great Coaches.

edit - have him also go over the leveling system and how to set the null - also to do it manually - poor practice in leveling is what has lead to many windshield failures.
Last edit - would not allow so here you go -

Last edit - if doing this in the winter bring at least three small electric heaters just in case. Better safe than Sorry.

Unless you plan to leave Oklahoma City and go to Florida - till Spring.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #35

All great advice you've gotten. Check the fluids for proper level, ask for service records, ask about any issues with the house and chassis. They all break, so if it has, it shouldn't sway you, unless it was irreparable. The biggest things are obviously engine and transmission, in addition to the cross-bracing and windshield items mentioned. I highly suggest doing a fluid analysis on the oil and trans fluids, but this obviously after the fact so you won't really know of any issues at the time of purchase. Check for smooth transmission shifting under load (on ramp). The AguaHot is a big ticket item as well (around $10,000 to replace), but most of the parts are replaceable. It heats the hot water for the coach as well as providing hot liquid for the floor heaters (registers under various cabinets), but this is used when it is colder than 40 degrees outside, otherwise use the rooftop a/C units in heat (pump) mode. Test for hot water at the various faucets, test for heat in the registers. leave it running, it won't hurt anything, unless the system is low on coolant (check this at the AquaHot reservoir which should be mounted near the AH unit in the basement. Travel Supreme typically used a GE residential refrigerator which works for a long time, but if it's been replaced already, that'll save you from having to remove the windshield to replace the fridge. Sounds like you've got the tires situated and the alignment.

Almost forgot, obviously, check the generator, turn it on let it run. Mine quits after 30 minutes, and that was not found until after I bought it. I still need to get that resolved. The entire coach should run off the generator, all the AC's the electric AquaHot element (there are 2 way the AH makes heat, electric like a home water heater and diesel, test the electric first, it might take 20 minutes to warm the water). Then try the diesel, it will make the water really hot.

Also, test the dash heat and A/C. My dash heat doesn't work and that is a typical issue. Fairly simple fix, for about $400 or less, but annoying.

Certainly check for any signs of roof leakage. It is was stored indoors, then you are probably good there, but climb up on the roof. If it doesn't have a rear ladder, bring one of those telescopic ladder from Amazon. I carry one with me because my TS doesn't have a ladder.

TV's and old technology are easily replaced these days for little cost and it'll save some weight vs. the old TVs that are probably in there.

Climb underneath, check for rust. And check all of the basement doors for operation and rust around the seals. Check the wet bay for leaks, they typically rot out over time. Typical issue, you can probably replace it yourself if you wanted to. I did mine.

I hope that helps. There are hundreds of things to check otherwise. Good luck with the purchase. Would love to see some pictures when you can. Also, study the Facebook Travel Supreme group, lots of good information there as well.

Matt
Mattsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:48 AM   #36

Thank you both for the information. Well I think we are getting a good deal on it I have looked at 3 videos and 30 or so images. Do you have any information on the nozzle and filter? I’d like to just order them to have. We are going to fly to the mid point with our 3 kids so it’s going to be an experience for sure. We are all very excited!! I have to figure out the best set up for the flat tow as it will be my H2. So I spoke with the seller last night again( he owns a heavy duty truck shop) so all the fluids were either changed and or flushed and changed. He is going to do an alignment when he puts the tires on it, he also performed a DOT90 inspection on the bus as well. he had the hydro hot running for a while and everything was working on it, he had all the AC units on as well all this running on the generator
Old 02-12-2020, 04:52 AM   #37

Ok so I just looked at the images, the cross bracing is in the basement? Can you elaborate on this a little more please and thank you
Old 02-12-2020, 04:55 AM   #38

So busskipper the link is for the one we are buying lol.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #39

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Ok so I just looked at the images, the cross bracing is in the basement? Can you elaborate on this a little more please and thank you
Frame flex with this chassis can be more than the windshields can handle and they will pop out of the frame at one corner. The cross bracing stiffens the frame and is designed to eliminate excessive flex. You might ask the seller if one corner of the windshield ever popped out. Here's a bunch of cross bracing info: https://www.google.com/search?q=cros...earch=irv2.com

Looked at your coach on rvtrader and I would agree that the price seems to be right.

Sounds like y'all have a real adventure planned. Good luck to ya and don't be a stranger to the forum.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #40

Quote:
The cross bracing you can see is right behind the generator between doors two and three on the Passenger side - at the rear of the back wall - Or just ask the owner - likely he has it. and knows all about it.

Sounds like a great deal - Pack a pair of lightweight coveralls to climb around and under the Coach when you inspect - Flash Light - Camera - rags - all will help with the inspection - generator and the HH if you are in freezing weather be sure to have a couple electric heaters just in case - you have an issue.

Also ask the seller to leave some of his RVing Only "Stuff" in the Coach, it will be a help to you ..........can't hurt to ask. Spare parts/filters etc.......

Aqua hot/ Hydro Hot - look to see Model Number many different units - then use google to find a good price for the filter and the Nozzle

Hope this helps,

Links below;

https://www.parts.rvhydronicheaterre...3plqscsfapp001

https://www.parts.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/main.sc

Old 02-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #41

I'd looked at that same add for a friend of mine, and it reads well and shows well. Price seems appropriate, of course 'IF' all is in good shape. Two suggestions for you:

-Be prepared to expend some more funds on any catch-up maintenance items. Basically anything not documented with receipts, assume they've not been done and do them.

- Get a baby sitter for the kids. You and the wife save some money on the tickets, and if you do have any issues on the return trip - it's just the two of you impacted and sorting things out.

IMO - A coach of the quality level that this TS is at, is worthy of investing in over the time ahead. It has 'good bone's & the ISM is great'... Coaches today, are few and far between built to the quality of TS in those days.

I've been very impressed with the info sharing, and knowledge being shared on this thread. What an asset to have available to you ahead...

Best of luck to you, and travel safe. Go slow into you get your sea legs. Keep good distance ahead of you, until you learn how the stopping is. Once you get the hang of it, you'll do fine. I recommend both of you getting a course at the RV Driving School. Very helpful info, and it will make you both more comfortable driving, and giving each other hand signals when backing and such...

Most important. Relax, and enjoy, it will all be good, and the parts that may not be - add to the experience.... (And remember. The smaller kids wax down below, and the wife waxes up high. And of course, a good spotter is required - and I recommend you take that job!!).

Have a blast,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:42 AM   #42

So we are all set to pick up our TS from Nashville on the 3rd of March and are very excited. I’ve had a lot of communication with the existing owner who has been great. We had him put new tires all the way around, all fluids changed and he will be driving it from Fresno to meet us in Nashville and we are going to take the journey home to Philadelphia from there. He hasn’t had any problems with the windshield but doesn’t know anything about the bracing. One of my questions is how to level this and operate the leveling system as we are making 2-3 stops on the way back. And is there a sequence to operating the aqua hot as there won’t be any snow but the temps will be dropping into the 40’s at night thanks again. Also does anyone recommend replacing the shocks?

Tags
advice, purchase, travel, travel supreme