RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-21-2020, 12:06 PM   #1

Spartan Drive Wheel Hub Cover

Lost one of our Hub Covers during our last trip >>>>
[moderator edit] a good resource for replacement ???
Would like to find a good used one .... new ones are pricy ...???

thx

hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 12:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1phx View Post

thx
Lost one awhile ago also,

Following

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #3

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
https://www.spartanrvchassis.com/owners/parts/
Old 11-21-2020, 03:33 PM   #4

I kind of doubt that Spartan made their own covers ; so any chance you could post a picture of what you need , and we'll try and track down a manufacturer , and maybe a part number for you to search for.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #5

Humm, mine slide through the outside rim from the inside, no way to lose one.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:41 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
You can find the non-logo baby moons that will fit at about any truck stop for around $10.00 or you can call Todd Lahr at Spartan Parts (800.722.3025 ext. 3228) and tell him you want a set of the screw-on front hub caps. They will be expensive ($140.00) but you will never have to worry about loosing one again. Plus you will have the same cap the new Spartan chassis guys are running.
Ford Ranger Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1phx View Post

thx
Which cover...for the drive axle or the moon for the front?

Both are stainless from Spartan, and they're VERY proud of them!
The Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Which cover...for the drive axle or the moon for the front?

Both are stainless from Spartan, and they're VERY proud of them!
When I talked with Spartan a mechanic told me to remove the fronts when I got home and store them. It made checking hub oil level easy and convenient. All I had to do is walk by the wheel and observe oil level. The outer rings are still on the rim.

They covers are in the garage somewhere. He called them hub covers, saying the hub cap is the Stemco viewing cap with oil level markers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:38 AM   #9

Hal,

I'm sorry, you did title this thread "Spartan DRIVE WHEEL hub cover". Pretty obvious you're not talking about the front moons!!

Yeah, those rear covers are costly.

While at Spartan a couple years ago, I noticed an Entegra with solid covers on his tag axle...where mine had an opening about 4 inches in diameter to see and service the hub lube.

My drive axle covers were solid, and I preferred the two wheels back there next to each other look the same. So I decided to have them replace the tag covers with the same solid cover as the drive axle.

Didn't ask the price.

Sheeeesh, $80 each!

But they're purdy.....
The Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Rear Drive Axle Cover

I went through two in two months. I had my tires rotated from front to rear and the shop (Southern Tire) apparently put the retainer ring on backwards. The ‘fingers’ are apparently oriented so the ‘top hat’ (cover) slides on easier than off. The original departed on the 35mi drive home and the replacement cover, which I found on eBay, departed after a 245mi trip on mostly interstate (FL...pretty smooth) roads.

I couldn’t find another on eBay and found the best price for a new one at Independence RV, 12705 W COLONIAL DR, WINTER GARDEN, FL. I picked that one up on a trip to Orlando.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, the new one came with a new retainer ring that had an arrow pointing one direction. I checked the existing one Southern had reinstalled from which the top hats had fallen off and found the arrow pointing in (I think). Checked other side...arrow pointed the other way. Mounted the new one with the arrow matching the side that was secure. Top hat was way easier to push on and WAY harder to pull off. Haven’t had an issue since.

You can check eBay and might get lucky. Or bite the bullet and call Independence (they are on both eBay and Amazon, too). If you go by there and pick up, it saves shipping. Just mind the direction on the retaining ring. I’ve also read where some put six (or four, if a four-finger ring) beads of silicon caulk inside the cover, spaced out to match the fingers. Push on the cover with the beads oriented to pass between the fingers, then rotate so the caulk engages the fingers and cures.
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, spartan