Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #1

Speakers in ceiling

I dismantled the old Pioneer navigation/entertainment system and apparently is used the rear ceiling surround speakers via a complex relay that I also removed. I have identified the wires from the rear channels of the surround receiver, but there are 4 wires left and while they all buzz on my continuity meter none seem to pair with the two output cables to produce sound from the rear speakers (near the driver end). Anyone know of a non-destructive way to remove the speaker grills? They don't seem inclined to come off easily and the one over the driver's seat has damage to the flanges from someone trying previously. Thanks for any suggestions.

Peter
2002 TS 40DS
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
If you have the same speakers as on my 05 Envoy all you need to do is hold the outer plastic speaker frame and pull the inner metal grill straight down. The grill will pop out and you'll see four machine screws that secures the plastic speaker frame to the ceiling.

FYI, in addition to the fours speakers in the main cabin my dash radio was also wired to the two speakers in the bedroom, which may explain your four extra wires. Good luck.

Lou
05 TS Envoy 38DS04
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
If you have the same speakers as on my 05 Envoy all you need to do is hold the outer plastic speaker frame and pull the inner metal grill straight down. The grill will pop out and you'll see four machine screws that secures the plastic speaker frame to the ceiling.

FYI, in addition to the fours speakers in the main cabin my dash radio was also wired to the two speakers in the bedroom, which may explain your four extra wires. Good luck.

Lou
05 TS Envoy 38DS04
Lou, Is there anything you don't know about your TS? Your depth of knowledge never ceases to amaze me!!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #4

Thanks

Lou,
The wiring to the rear bedroom speakers is probably right - I'm bringing a radio down with modified speaker wires to test them out and get them labeled. I wish I had a faint idea of the routing! They all disappear down behind the passenger side of the cab and I have no idea where they lead back. My speakers are rectangular white covers and it appears there is a one piece frame and grille, but I'll look more carefully. Trying not to damage things that are going to be hard to find new parts for!

One item you may be interested in if you do a lot of off grid camping - I'm installing a marine Whale foot pump in the galley sink which will save a lot of wasted water over time - worked great when I had my boat. Your name includes "sailor," what sort of cruising did you do?

Peter

Quote:

Lou
05 TS Envoy 38DS04
Old 04-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Peter,

Mine are also white with a rectangular shape and they do kinda look like a solid unit, but are actually two pieces. Hopefully you have the same setup because they are pretty easy to remove and reinstall. IIRC, I used a small pick to push into the grill at the corner to get the grill started and then worked it out from there.

Replacing the dash stereo and OEM speakers was one of the first things we did after buying the rig. I installed two Bose cubes speakers on the bottom of the cabinet above the dash as the stereo fronts and then replaced and wired the four main cabin speakers as the backs. I also installed some switches to allow us to select either pair of back speakers or all four if desired and put a sub under the driver's seat. This works out well when driving because the two way back are above the slides and you can't really hear them with the slides in. So far I have done nothing with the two bedroom speakers. Since my Envoy was pretty much a TS entry level rig, none of this was tied into the TV for surround sound so when I replaced the TV with a flat screen I installed a sound bar below the set with a wireless woofer on the floor. Not as good as true surround, but good enough for the MOHO.

The logon name actually comes from two different experiences, first I spent 6 years in the Navy riding around on subs and then afterwards we owned a few sailboats. The last boat we had was a C&C 34' sloop that we sailed for 15 years. Most of our cruising was in Long Island Sound towards NY to the west and out to Block Island and various Rhode Island ports to the east. I do miss it from time to time, but it got to the point where we weren't using the boat enough to justify the marina costs so we decided the MOHO might be a better option. I still have several friends in the sailing community so we still get out there for a "fix" every once in awhile. How about you, what kind of boat do (or did) you have?

Based on the above I am very familiar with the Whale foot pump and that is a great idea to conserve power and water when boondocking. However, we now classify ourselves as "RVers" and are no longer "campers." We only use full hookup sites and if the campground does not have cable and good wifi we consider that roughing it. Quite a change from our old sailing days.

Good luck with the speakers and let us know how you make out.

Lou
05 TS Envoy 38DS04
Old 04-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #6

Lou,
My main two boats were a 30 Chris Craft sloop rescued from a charter outfit in Marsh Harbour (1978-1987) and a Provincial custom 42' trawler (2004 - 2014). Lost my shirt on the trawler but had fun and I still have a few more shirts. I took it back to LI where I was from before moving to Jacksonville FL in 2005 - revisited old haunts on the north shore, some new ones, and spent quite a bit of time in Block and Newport. After about 8 trips to the Bahamas between the two boats I decided I would like to see other parts of the country so bought this 2002 TS 40' in Lubbock Texas a little over a month ago. I'm planning about 2 months to rehab things to my liking (had a 500 watt Sony/Polk Surround sound system on the boat and it was fun to crank a concert anchored in the boonies somewhere). Have a carpenter meeting me today to discuss mounting 3 LED flat screens where the CRTs came out. Wrestled a new air filter onto the engine yesterday (lots of Texas dust in the old one) and am awaiting the overhaul (preventative) of the alternator and then I'll be done with the engine for now. Want to get the Allison and genset serviced before a planned outing to the west coast in late June. Hope we can continue this conversation. Off to PT for a recent scope on my left knee - one reason I'm postponing my departure.
Peter
Old 04-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #7

Lou, thanks - I took your suggestion and removed a grille, took down one of the speakers and now have a good idea of how they are installed. As for where the wiring goes, that will have to remain a mystery. Thanks so much - I'm sure there will be other inquiries on the way,

Peter
Old 04-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Peter,

Glad it worked out, keep us informed of your progress. It's always interesting hearing what others are doing to customize their rigs and there are quite a few folks around here with plenty of experience.

Lou
05 TS Envoy 38DS04
Old 04-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #9

Lou, Here is my next query - my 2002 40 ds has only lap belts. This surprised me as I was sure that RVs would have the same safety requirements as automobiles, but I guess not. I found a company that sells aftermarket 3-point belts (WASCO) - has anyone made this modification? Is the wood over and behind the driver and passenger seats sufficient to make a safe installation (the instructions generally call for steel). I really don't feel comfortable with just a lap belt. Suggestions welcomed.
Peter
Old 04-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Peter,

Interesting, my 05 has three point belts but they are integrated into the seats so there is no attachment to the wall. I'm not sure you will even hit wood in the walls since most (if not all) of the framing is aluminum channel. In either case I wouldn't think that would be secure enough for a seat belt unless you could get behind it somehow to spread the load over a large part of the structure.

The only thing I can think or is either a seat replacement or possibly securing it over the top of the seat and then down to the floor where you could thru-bolt it into the basement. However, the belt would need to be pretty long to allow you rotate the seats. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

Lou
05 TS Envoy 38DS04
Old 04-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Peter,

Interesting, my 05 has three point belts but they are integrated into the seats so there is no attachment to the wall. I'm not sure you will even hit wood in the walls since most (if not all) of the framing is aluminum channel. In either case I wouldn't think that would be secure enough for a seat belt unless you could get behind it somehow to spread the load over a large part of the structure.

The only thing I can think or is either a seat replacement or possibly securing it over the top of the seat and then down to the floor where you could thru-bolt it into the basement. However, the belt would need to be pretty long to allow you rotate the seats. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

Lou
05 TS Envoy 38DS04
Peter and LOu..
My 04 only has lap belts as well.. I was really surprised as well.. If I could find the same color Select seats I would probably change them out!
But, I don't worry about it too much!
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Now that we are discussing this I just remembered my seats are not the original Flexsteel seats that TS installed. The original owner had the factory replace them right after he took delivery. He was a big guy and said he didn't like the factory seats. The ones I have are larger with more support so I'm not sure what it originally had for seat belts.

Lou
05 TS Envoy 38DS04
Old 04-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Now that we are discussing this I just remembered my seats are not the original Flexsteel seats that TS installed. The original owner had the factory replace them right after he took delivery. He was a big guy and said he didn't like the factory seats. The ones I have a larger with more support so I'm not sure what it originally had for seat belts.

Lou
05 TS Envoy 38DS04
Lou..
You probably had the same Flexsteel seats I have. I have a Travel Supreme which I believe is the same as your Envoy. I would like the Select Seats which have the integral 3 point belts but I don't want to mix and match leather colors.. Most Selects I have seen are the "Distressed" leather..
Oh Well..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:21 AM   #14

Boy, this is what I call interesting. The seats are brown leather and aren't especially coordinated with anything else (two sofas - one upholstered, one white leather). I got a quote of $75 plus shipping for each 3-point restraint and I can't imagine what new seats would cost. Ouch. There is solid cherry wood in the walls just behind the driver seat and before the slideout - it appears quite thick and while I agree a backing plate would be the best solution, don't know if it is accessible. I found a truck repair shop that said they would install new belts for me if I procured them - that might be the best course of action (about $400 total - can't imagine what new seats installed would be - at least $1,000 each and maybe more.) I wish I weren't working on 50 other upgrades and improvements! Thanks for your responses.

Peter

Tags
ceiling