Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2015, 11:00 AM   #1

Step cover motor and gear

The motor for the inside step cover on my 2005 T-S failed. When I got it apart I found that the pinion gear on the end of the motor had a broken tooth. The motor had a broken wire which I could have soldered, but figured I'd be better off with a new motor that hadn't jammed.

The motor had a paper label identifying it as a Douglas International gear motor, model #LJ417+RB35C-60 (That's a 60:1 gear reduction motor).
I contacted Douglas International @ 630-232-7419 and left a message.

Doug called me back and said that he normally sells to manufacturers, but since Travel Supreme was out of business, he would sell to me directly.
The motor is about $47 without the pinion gear. (plus shipping) He doesn't supply the pinion gears.

I checked the gear and it's a 12 tooth, 6MM shaft MOD1 pitch gear. A search online showed that remote control helicopters use a hardened steel gear in this size, and I bought one for $14 including shipping.

I'm posting this here because sooner or later someone else will need the same parts.

By the way, I tried Entegra parts first. They researched it and emailed me back, suggesting I try Douglas International directly and gave me the original supplier of the gear too. They were very nice and I appreciate the efforts they went through to help.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #2

Good to know .... Thx Mike for posting up !!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Good info, thanks. This is definitely the most helpful group on the net.
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #4

Great info, Mike. I spent 35 bucks for just the gear 3 or four years ago from that parts guy, I think his name was Dave. I'm not sure if he's still in the business, or not.
alfetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:02 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Great detective work, Mike! You saved the rest of us many man hours of Google searching with your post.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
The motor for the inside step cover on my 2005 T-S failed. When I got it apart I found that the pinion gear on the end of the motor had a broken tooth. The motor had a broken wire which I could have soldered, but figured I'd be better off with a new motor that hadn't jammed.

The motor had a paper label identifying it as a Douglas International gear motor, model #LJ417+RB35C-60 (That's a 60:1 gear reduction motor).

Doug called me back and said that he normally sells to manufacturers, but since Travel Supreme was out of business, he would sell to me directly.
The motor is about $47 without the pinion gear. (plus shipping) He doesn't supply the pinion gears.

I checked the gear and it's a 12 tooth, 6MM shaft MOD1 pitch gear. A search online showed that remote control helicopters use a hardened steel gear in this size, and I bought one for $14 including shipping.

I'm posting this here because sooner or later someone else will need the same parts.

By the way, I tried Entegra parts first. They researched it and emailed me back, suggesting I try Douglas International directly and gave me the original supplier of the gear too. They were very nice and I appreciate the efforts they went through to help.
Mike..
Thanks for all the work finding these..
Would you publish the information on where to get the pinion?
That would be great..
Thanks again..
Ron
At Dead Horse State Park, Cottonwood AZ..
Will soon be on our way home!
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #7

Thanks much Mike, great info to have.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:26 AM   #8

Pinion gear for inside step cover

I found a hardened steel pinion gear with the needed 6MM shaft diameter, 12 teeth 1MOD pitch at a website that sells remote control helicopter parts!

The site is: helihobby.com Part #RCP-M1D6-12T - $13.63 including shipping

I haven't received the gear yet, but a pinion gear is a pinion gear. I'm confident the gear will be close enough to the broken one that I can use it.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I found a hardened steel pinion gear with the needed 6MM shaft diameter, 12 teeth 1MOD pitch at a website that sells remote control helicopter parts!

I haven't received the gear yet, but a pinion gear is a pinion gear. I'm confident the gear will be close enough to the broken one that I can use it.

Mike..
Let us know if it will work.. That would be great..
Ron
Old 04-18-2015, 08:49 AM   #10

Inside step cover motor's pinion gear

I received the 12 tooth pinion gear ordered from Helihobby.com. The width of the teeth is about 5/8" wide, vs. 1/4" wide for the original gear. Width is no problem. Nothing within 18" of the gear.

Depth of the teeth is the same, pitch is the same. (point where the teeth will mesh with the rack gear) O.D. is a few thousandths smaller, which won't matter.

All in all an acceptable and available replacement for the original gear.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I received the 12 tooth pinion gear ordered from Helihobby.com. The width of the teeth is about 5/8" wide, vs. 1/4" wide for the original gear. Width is no problem. Nothing within 18" of the gear.

Depth of the teeth is the same, pitch is the same. (point where the teeth will mesh with the rack gear) O.D. is a few thousandths smaller, which won't matter.

Mike..
Is the gear pressed or keyed or something on the shaft? Easy to change over?
You have done a lot of work for all of us..
Ron
Old 04-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #12

More gear info

According to Doug @ Douglas International Inc. the O.E.M. version of the motor and the motor he's shipping me both have a .5MM deep flat milled on the shaft.

Both the original gear and the replacement gear use an allen setscrew to secure the gear onto the shaft. In addition, the end of the original gear is welded onto the shaft at the nose of the gear. Since I didn't bother grinding off the weld to remove the old broken gear I have no personal knowledge about the gear attachment, only what I've been told.

I'll use a drop of Loctite Stud and Bearing Mount to ensure the gear and setscrew don't loosen up.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
According to Doug @ Douglas International Inc. the O.E.M. version of the motor and the motor he's shipping me both have a .5MM deep flat milled on the shaft.

Both the original gear and the replacement gear use an allen setscrew to secure the gear onto the shaft. In addition, the end of the original gear is welded onto the shaft at the nose of the gear. Since I didn't bother grinding off the weld to remove the old broken gear I have no personal knowledge about the gear attachment, only what I've been told.

I'll use a drop of Loctite Stud and Bearing Mount to ensure the gear and setscrew don't loosen up.
Mike..
Perfect..
I have a cover motor that is operating sporadically.. When I get home I will order these as a spare when I get time to dig into it..
Ron
Old 07-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #14

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You sir, are awesome. I was just looking into fixing my step cover and noticed that the previous owner had the motor assembly removed completely.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote