Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #1

Strong Smell of Sewer Odor in Bathroom sink area

When I dump out the black tank (sewer) we get a very strong odor of sewer gas that collects under the area of the bathroom sink. I have checked all the connections that I can reach easily and they all seem to be ok. I did notice that the vent for the bathroom sink has one of those back flow preventer valves when the vent does not go all the way up and threw the roof. Could it be possible that this is allowing sewer gas to come back into the rig. Has anyone else experienced this with their TS. Mine is a 2004 TS 40DS03. Any suggestions where to start looking would be appreciated..
delcirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If it is the vent under the sink in the bathroom you can test it out by putting a plastic bag over it and rubber banding it. If the smell goes away then its the vent. I've got that problem right now and I proved it to be the vent by testing it with the plastic bag. Next step will be to replace the vent. You can get the vents from Home Depot.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #3

Thanks, plastic bag going on and test in progress. I love a simple solution. This might affect the sinks ability to drain, but it should not take long to prove what is or isn't going on with the vent.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
So far the plastic bag hasn't affected the sinks ability to drain. My sink in the bathroom actually drains into the black tank (at least that's what Monaco told me).

Hopefully you'll have better luck getting the vent off if you need to replace it than me. The factory tightened mine down to the point I'm probably going to have to cut it off.

Not sure if this is why mine failed but the vent went south after I had the Honey Wagon pump me out (first time I've done that) and I wonder if the suction was two much for the vent even with me holding the flush mechanism open while being pumped.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #5

Boy oh boy I hope I did not make a mistake, because I tightened mine by hand a few twists and when I tried to reverse it by hand it would not move, I did not think I had turned it that much but I will get a wrench on it and see if I can get it to move if not I will need to cut it off then extend the pipe and re do what came from the factory. It would explain why I get the smell from the black tank if it is what vents the black tank. However I can not see how that could be the case as it is connected to the drain coming from the bathroom sink and therefore you would be dumping your gray water from the sink directly into the black tank rather than the gray. Kind of a mystery to me at this point, but I can say my wife is not very happy at the moment. Even though the smell is gone for now, I am sure the next time I empty the black tank we will go through this again and I will see the LOOK again..
Old 08-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to check with the manufacturer regarding were that sink drains to but even if it goes to the gray tank the smell can be just as bad. Hopefully you can get the vent off without cutting. For now I'm being lazy and leaving the plastic bag on with no side effects until the weather cools a bit.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #7

I was able to use a pair of goose neck type pliers and spin the vent off. I replaced mine with one and it only cost me a buck 75. I gave it the test by blowing into it and it would allow air to pass through it slowly. The new one would not let me do it. I got to thinking about what probably happened. I am at a place where I am constantly draining the gray tank. When I dumped the black tank the gray tank was still open. They are wye,d together at the point of both valves to either side of the discharge port. So in effect when I opened the black to let it go sewer gasses would flow up into the empty gray tank slightly pressuring it. If the vent cap was not doing it's job it could allow at that point sewer gas to come up into the coach. SO next time I will make sure that I have the gray tank valve closed when I drain the black tank and see what happens. This next Friday will be my normal dump day so I will let you know what happens. I have a Travel Supreme and my bathroom sink drains into my gray tank. I will need to talk to another friend of mine that has a Monoco, highly unusual to have a sink draining into the black tank I would think. Also the vent for the black tank is usually one straight shot up to and through the roof on most designs.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #8

Well as promised a week has come and gone and I experienced no problems with odors of sewer gas this time around . I alternated the valves one at a time while draining. Making sure the other was always closed when I did this. We also flushed both holding tanks really well and gave the both of them a treatment or two of RIDIX. So far so good, wish us luck....
Old 08-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #9

As a procedural matter, I've always made sure I have a good supply of water in the grey tank when Emptying the black tank, thereby supplying a source of "rinse" water for the drain hose after dumping the black tank. If hooked up in a location for an extended period where I leave the grey tank valve open, I simply close it for two days prior to "black tank dump day", then dump the black tank, rinse the black tank and then dump the grey tank, leaving the grey tank valve open until I repeat the procudure in about 10 days.
alfetch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell