Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2020, 10:07 PM   #1

The impossible TS door

I’m looking for help or advice on fixing my door on my 2005 Select. I’ve had the coach for about 6 months and done a few other upgrades and now need to move on to the front door. My family all loves the “new to us” coach. EXCEPT... getting into and out of it. The door is near impossible to open. My wife and four kids have all but given up. I usually have to make sure the door is left slightly open or plant myself close enough around to let anybody in or out.

A bit of background...First, I don’t have the air lock on mine and have talked to Precision Paint about getting this. Second, Paul at precision recommended a new door seal for wind noise, which I replaced. Now the wind noise is better but the door is even harder to open. You actually have to push on the door while pulling the handle. I’ve tried to teach my 12 year old this and found it easier to just be the doorman for our adventures.

Please! If anyone has any suggestions to fix this I would greatly appreciate it.
Rudy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2020, 08:09 AM   #2

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Hi, if your door is a Napanee Window brand, then on the latch cover plate on the door edge there is a black plastic plug that will pop out and expose a 5/16 nut. This is your latch adjustment.
Also if the latch for the screen is not adjusted properly, then the door can tend to stick as the screen and outer door latch together when closed and if the screen remains latched to the jamb, it makes it hard to open the outer door.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #3

My door....picture

Here’s a picture of my door. Not sure it’s the version you were referencing. I don’t see any plug to access the adjustment bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAE4D612-9C61-4E48-A85C-0A2E8FC5E4D7.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	290726  
Old 06-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #4

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Totally different than mine, but you should have some adjustment either on the jamb striker/latch or on the lock itself.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:22 AM   #5

Totally different from mine as well
Old 06-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy6 View Post
Here’s a picture of my door. Not sure it’s the version you were referencing. I don’t see any plug to access the adjustment bolt.
Rudy6
Your door appears to be very similar to mine.. It is a PTL door. Now mine doesn't have the air lock as my coach is a standard model. I had some issues with mine that were caused by the cables that ran to the top of the door that actuated and released the "door open" lock. Pulling the panel off and getting the retention plastic stripping that holds the finish door panel away from the door is a challenge. I would advise you order the new retaining plastic first as you WILL break it. Not really expensive. Mine was tight and out of adjustment but I was able to lubricate the cables and adjust them and it works like a new one.. I had ordered a new latch and cables but didn't use them just the cleaning and lube with adjustments worked... I think it sounds like the same issue the inside door handle would get stiff and would have to "Over Open" the handle to get it to totally release.
PTL is in business and they have a web page.. So maybe some help can be gotten there... They are in michigan
https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Watch how you take apart the dead bolt it is tricky to get back together.. Ask me how I know...
Good Luck with that...
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #7

While I don't have a TS coach, that door looks nearly exactly like mine which is a PTL door, as mentioned. My door does not have the part that protrudes from the edge of the door jamb, but all other features, the inside door handle, dead bolt, and the latch inside the door frame, all look the same.

I agree with rhusak that you should try to remove the inside panel and inspect/lube/adjust any cables or rods that connect to the opening mechanism. Mine does not have a plastic retention piece so removal of inside panel was easy.

Here's a tip for the deadbolt. Before removing the screws, tape the outside of the deadbolt securely to the outside of the door so it doesn't fall out but, more importantly, doesn't rotate. Then, remove the screws and inside cover of the deadbolt. As mentioned, it's a real PITA to line up the inside cover holes with the holes in the metal frame and the holes on the outside cover if the entire deadbolt has been removed or rotated out of position.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:27 AM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
While I don't have a TS coach, that door looks nearly exactly like mine which is a PTL door, as mentioned. My door does not have the part that protrudes from the edge of the door jamb, but all other features, the inside door handle, dead bolt, and the latch inside the door frame, all look the same.

I agree with rhusak that you should try to remove the inside panel and inspect/lube/adjust any cables or rods that connect to the opening mechanism. Mine does not have a plastic retention piece so removal of inside panel was easy.

Here's a tip for the deadbolt. Before removing the screws, tape the outside of the deadbolt securely to the outside of the door so it doesn't fall out but, more importantly, doesn't rotate. Then, remove the screws and inside cover of the deadbolt. As mentioned, it's a real PITA to line up the inside cover holes with the holes in the metal frame and the holes on the outside cover if the entire deadbolt has been removed or rotated out of position.
Man, I wish I had done that.. It was a real bitch to get it to line ip and go back together properly.. Took me hours honestly... Good advice...
Ron
Old 06-25-2020, 11:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Man, I wish I had done that.. It was a real bitch to get it to line ip and go back together properly.. Took me hours honestly... Good advice...
Ron
LOL! I learned the hard way, suffering exactly like you when the outside piece accidentally fell off while working on the latch.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
LOL! I learned the hard way, suffering exactly like you when the outside piece accidentally fell off while working on the latch.
Takes a big man to admit a mistake and how frustrating it was....
I say that cause I keep telling myself that!
BTW.. Beautiful Springer... I had a Liver and White one loved him!
Ron
Old 06-26-2020, 07:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Takes a big man to admit a mistake and how frustrating it was....
I say that cause I keep telling myself that!
BTW.. Beautiful Springer... I had a Liver and White one loved him!
Ron
I knew someone must have had a similar experience. Thank you so much! This gives me a place to start. I honestly wasn’t sure I could get the family to go anywhere anymore with the way it is. I’ll let you know how the progress goes. Thanks for the deadbolt tip!
Old 06-26-2020, 08:47 AM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I knew someone must have had a similar experience. Thank you so much! This gives me a place to start. I honestly wasn’t sure I could get the family to go anywhere anymore with the way it is. I’ll let you know how the progress goes. Thanks for the deadbolt tip!
Rudy6..
In fact I had ordered new cable and a new latch was just going to replace it all... It just wasn't necessary... Justb the cleaning and lubing took care of it.... Besides.. It looked like a bitch to replace the cables and latch!
Good luck wit it.. The system is really pretty robust!
Ron
Old 06-28-2020, 11:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Rudy6..
In fact I had ordered new cable and a new latch was just going to replace it all... It just wasn't necessary... Justb the cleaning and lubing took care of it.... Besides.. It looked like a bitch to replace the cables and latch!
Good luck wit it.. The system is really pretty robust!
Ron

Ron,
I started by removing the window trim and noticed the plywood backer is glued to the metal door framing. Did you pull that all out? I also am curious about how you removed the plastic trim around the edge of the “leather”. I’ll attach a picture to show my progress... thanks again for the help.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D7374D69-5F21-42AA-BF20-F9F036930CFD.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	502.6 KB
ID:	291259  
Old 06-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Ron,
I started by removing the window trim and noticed the plywood backer is glued to the metal door framing. Did you pull that all out? I also am curious about how you removed the plastic trim around the edge of the “leather”. I’ll attach a picture to show my progress... thanks again for the help.

Michael
Plastic trim picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	82DE2D6A-54B7-4B2A-9BE5-339E9849BD94.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	291263  

Tags
door, travel supreme