Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2020, 09:03 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
This is weird

Finally has gotten cool enough we can open our windows at night.

Last two nights it has gotten cool enough by 3AM to shut the windows and add a touch of heat.

I have the 2 spotlight type map lights (1 over the door and 1 over the drivers side) that can be set to turn on automatically, for about 30 seconds, then go out when you open the door.

When I turn on the furnace (auqua hot) in Zone 3 (electric only) the 2 lights come on, stay on for 30 seconds and go out. This repeats every minute or so until I turn them off manually.

For the life of me I cannot fathom any connection between auqua hot and the map lights.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
I'm thinking a shared ground with one of the register fans?!
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
I'm thinking a shared ground with one of the register fans?!
Thats about the only thing that would make any sense.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss68 View Post
Finally has gotten cool enough we can open our windows at night.

Last two nights it has gotten cool enough by 3AM to shut the windows and add a touch of heat.

I have the 2 spotlight type map lights (1 over the door and 1 over the drivers side) that can be set to turn on automatically, for about 30 seconds, then go out when you open the door.

When I turn on the furnace (auqua hot) in Zone 3 (electric only) the 2 lights come on, stay on for 30 seconds and go out. This repeats every minute or so until I turn them off manually.

For the life of me I cannot fathom any connection between auqua hot and the map lights.
What you are describing is unusual - uAs one source is 120 volts and the other is a 12 volt relay that has a ground likely in a magnetic sensor in the door.

My guess is that the switch has a grounded relay and may be reading some bad voltage/connection on the HH.

Check the switch -some where there is an auto/relay, usually pre grounded so you are just sending electric to it, switch for the auto map lights - it may be reading the bad ground/connection on the HH.

Justaguess - Best of Luck
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
What you are describing is unusual - uAs one source is 120 volts and the other is a 12 volt relay that has a ground likely in a magnetic sensor in the door.

My guess is that the switch has a grounded relay and may be reading some bad voltage/connection on the HH.
Justaguess - Best of Luck
The fans behind the radiators are also 12vdc which led me in that direction.
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
The fans behind the radiators are also 12vdc which led me in that direction.
?
Does it do it when on diesel?

?
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:06 AM   #7

I think your coach is haunted . . . .

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:13 AM   #8

It's the little man in the fridge.
He turns the lighty on!
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:04 AM   #9

Ya'll make my day.

I haven't turned the diesel on yet. Hasn't been serviced in 14 months and the smoke would probably drive my neighbors to shoot me.

The radiator fans are 12VDC and I seem to remember from troubleshooting one a couple of years ago that the ground was switched and the (+) was hardwired.

I don't think whatever is going on is dangerous and certainly isn't causing me a major problem so for now I'll go with the diagnosis of haunted or the little guy in the fridge and let Paul call in the Ghost Busters next year when I swing through Wakarusa..

I appreciate all the input always helpful and always adds to the database.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #10

My guess is the furnace is injecting electrical noise into the wiring when switched on. This is inducing enough current in the light wiring to trip the switch on. If you can get at the light wiring, twisting the positive/neg wires together will reduce the magnetic loop area and eliminate the problem. We have the same problem with a proximity switch controlling LED lights in the mirror over my wife’s bathroom sink. When we turn on the regular shower light switch, it activates the proximity switch and turns the LED on. Someday when I have nothing to do, I’ll uninstall the mirror and twist the wires.
Wpc3818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:51 PM   #11

I have a motion sensing light on my s&b. When the central air conditioner come on, the hot air from the condenser causes the light to come. No problem when ac off. It is a passive infrared [PIR] the most common type. it senses changes in temperature and activates on that.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
It's the little man in the fridge.
He turns the lighty on!
I hate that little man, sometimes late at night he eats another piece of pie.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!