Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2021, 07:23 AM   #15

Max Headroom...(Love the name LOL) thank you for the input. You're right about familiarizing myself with my RV. That would be a plus. But as someone said already, its like eating an elephant... one bite at a time. This is gonna be a looooong lunch:-) and I'm not even hungry!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2021, 07:35 AM   #16

Sorry for being blunt, but an 18 year old diesel pusher in "fair" condition that you have to pay others to maintain is a recipe for significant inconvenience and expense.

As others have suggested, you will need to LEARN how to do a lot of the work yourself or it will be sitting waiting for work to be done much of the time and at significant cost.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:25 AM   #17

Brett... when it comes to owning and maintaining one of these machines, I personally need, appreciate and expect blunt replies to my questions... more to the point, the better. Thank you for your advice... Cliff
Old 12-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Sorry for being blunt, but an 18 year old diesel pusher in "fair" condition that you have to pay others to maintain is a recipe for significant inconvenience and expense.

As others have suggested, you will need to LEARN how to do a lot of the work yourself or it will be sitting waiting for work to be done much of the time and at significant cost.
^This.

I'd cancel the $4,000 "fix" to get "everything" up to snuff - because it won't get everything up to snuff. And start working it through one problem at a time.

New tires every 5 to 6 years and new batteries 4 to 6 years are givens.

Personally, I'd leave all of the diesel and chassis work to a professional. But then there really shouldn't be a great deal of that other than routine and annual maintenance.

It's the "house" systems that you really MUST tackle on your own.

There is no cheap way to own and operate a 19 year old diesel motorhome. Understand that from the start. If you can't afford it then go a different route.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #19

Creative...."Stuff" means livable, not perfect. A lot of things that were needing a fix will be left over for me to do myself. But refrigerator and AC among other things are necessities I need in order move in. And I don't have time to learn it. I do hear you, though. That is why I asked for your opinion. My number one take away... "learn my way around the MH and try to fix as much as I can myself." I'm in a "see if I can do this" mode. After six months or so I'll have an answer. Then go from there. Your "creative" input was greatly appreciated!.