Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #1

To Be or Not To Be an RVer

I have a couple of questions for seasoned MH RVers. Especially those who are full timers. I知 a newby. Just bought me a 2003 Travel Supreme Select that is in fair condition. I知 about to spend about $3000 to get it up to snuff.
I am not a DIY type of guy. I do woodwork pretty good but taking a nail gun to a plumbing, electrical or hydraulic party just won稚 work.
So I am destined to spend money on maintenance issues at the local RV repair shop or where ever I happen to be when I need help.
I am not by any means well to do. I reckon I could afford a couple thousand every year on maintenance with the understanding I値l spend another $7000 or so on tires every six years.

Question 1: What would you guess I値l spend on average each year to keep it road and living worthy and taking it on the road two or three times a year?

Question 2: I have been looking at a newer (2013-2016) Tiffen Bus Would my expenses be less with a newer MH?

Your answers will be appreciated and valuable to me.... Cliff
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2021, 06:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleBlade View Post
I am not a DIY type of guy. ...... Cliff
Ask for help or watch videos.

People are glad to help and then pretty soon you be helping others.

You will learn the electrical and plumbing systems with time.

Of course there are just things that you can do yourself. My slide was not working right so I went to a small RV shop. Because we were full time he fixed right away. After watching him, I could do it the next time.

I had watched a video for replacing the awning material but since I was there I paid to have it done. I watched how he and his helper (his wife) worked together.

Worth every penny to have it done.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:11 PM   #3

Thank you Kit... Been reading the forum voraciously and find most stuff a mile over my head, though I did remove the passenger chair to get a double recliner through the door, and I replaced the old toilet with a new one. A lot of things can go wrong with these complicated machines with miles of plumbing and wiring. Reading the forum is an eye opener. I'm just looking ahead trying to take measure of things.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleBlade View Post
.....and I replaced the old toilet with a new one. A lot of things can go wrong ......
Reminded me of somethings. There is a extender that makes an RV sit higher.

That and good handle helps folks with bad knees get off the throne.

I have installed laminate floors in 3 RVs to replace old carpet. Twice ladies have had trouble with the foot peddle on the toilet and flooded the RV. Once I forgot to check the laminate flooring to make sure it would survive damage.

Funny story. Before retiring MIL would like with us part of the year. I heard a crash and screaming. Rushed up stairs to find MIL pinned the toilet under a linen cabinet.

I stepped back into the hall to compose myself. Hysterical laughter would not be helpful.

I learned she would she would use the cabinet door to pull herself up.

After properly securing the cabinet to the wall, I went on binge installing handles for the MIL. To my surprise, other visitors comment on how nice they were.

So two project for you that will help make the new to you MH, your home. Laminate floors and handles, handles, handles.

Since going full time I have had to buy tools that I gave away. Wherever I go there is a project that needs to be done.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:04 PM   #5

If you can do woodwork you can probably learn most things that need to be done on an RV. There isn't any rocket science in most RVs save for some of the newer electronical lighting systems. I don't think you'll have one of those on a 2003, but I'm not sure. The furnaces and water heaters are pretty much like what are in a house with a couple of more controls but nothing hard to understand. There's lots and lots of youtube videos on these systems. It might behoove you to look at some, it might give you confidence. There is an old proverb "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at at time." This applies to RVs. Take one system at a time and learn how it works, you'll be amazed at how much you will learn in a year. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:23 PM   #6

Cliff we hear you nor are we DIY types naturally and we didn't have an electrical or mechanical hair on our bodies when we started with a 5er in 1999, and then our current Class A Gas we've owned since new in 2003.

After 3 years paying a dealership a ridiculous amount ($146/$155 etc) to have her winterised the first 3 years and then every time starting her in the spring with leaks due to them over tightening the plastic nuts or not putting enough antifreeze in some parts we started doing it ourselves (inc fridge ice maker and washer/dryer) through a youtube video and guide and never had an issue since upon starting her up each Spring. Sure we put way too much antifreeze in her but it's cheap insurance and has saved us hundreds over the years.

We used to pay for all oil, filter, fluid changes but past 15 years we've done them all ourselves. Started greasing her underneath, check diff fluid and never had to add so drained and changed first time ever this year, also check our wet hubs. With unbelievable help from forums like this and especially Escapees members in 2014 we installed a 880ah battery and solar system. Had to replace batteries this year and we had 3 days of trouble shooting why no 12v (we had missed a connection that was trapped down the back of the bank). I service our Onan Generator including replacing filters plugs etc. We resolved ourselves thanks to guidance from kind folks on forums like this non-working Acs, that a dealership couldn't resolve after having her in for 3 weeks. We've updated and replaced our Tube TV's and Norcold Fridge with a residential one and removed illusional size mirrors as backsplashes with light tiles, the sink in the bathroom and various other updates.

Believe me you'll be amazed how with patience, commitment to a schedule of checking/changing/servicing things you'll get a ton of routine stuff done and save yourself a fortune in the process.

Our jacks not working though were a doozie to troubleshoot - finally approached a non-rv hydraulic shop and they found a gear in the pump in bits and replaced and $400 later they are working again. Prior to them I tried a mobile RV electrical guy who charged me $600 and had her for 3 weeks and he said, it could be this or that or this or that = no confidence in him for us. I won't start taking mechanical components apart but don't mind checking connections, fuses etc as fellow RVer's guide me bless them.

For a safety precaution though I still get her in every other year to have chassis properly checked for stress cracks, U Bolts etc. Replaced our shocks with nimble help from our daughter's partner who's a lot younger this spring = again saved us a fortune.

For sure not trying to make light of RV ownership in the slightest, as we know having had 2 engines replaced, but you truly can save yourself a lot of heartache and dollars doing a ton of regular maintenance and troubleshooting things yourself and kind members on forums like this plus Youtube really really help tenfold.

Create a maintenance schedule for yourself based on manufacturers advices and work through one item at a time when due. Above all else make sure to enjoy and use your new to you vehicle!

Happy travels, SD.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:37 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
We had a 2004 TS, our first year expenses were huge. Even though I consider myself handy mechanically there was a lot I could not do because of physical limitations and lack of tools/ equipment. While our coach had been fairly well cared for there was a lot of deferred maintenance especially on the engine, chassis, and brakes. Other big ticket items were house batteries, chassis batteries and tires. After the first year it cost about $2.000 a year for thing I could not do.

On the house side the most issues I was able to fix myself.

It all depends on how well the prior owners kept the coach up.

I think your planned maint budget is light especially the first year on a 2003 coach.

No one can give you a good budget number as all old coaches are different, some well cared for, some not so much.

As for question 2, it all depends. Our 2015 coach was very well cared for and when we got it we required the dealer to put on new tires and new batteries all around. Still at first chassis inspection discovered $3,000+ in needed maintenance/repair.

I budget $2500 a year for maint and make sure I can absorb a sudden $10,000 hit if it comes. These thing anin't cheap to keep rolling.
Airboss68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:39 AM   #8

Kit, Old Fisherman, and SD... Thank you for your valuable input but as usual, Airboss was succinct in answering my questions.
I just found out yesterday that I'll be spending in the area of 4000.00 to get the living part up to snuff leaving a another 2000.00 worth of extras that are not immediate and possibly I can fix. On to the chassis!

Airboss... your figures are pretty much what I expected but was trying to be optimistic. :-) Your budget makes sense. I'll be able to swing that. As per your advice in a previous conversation I had with you, Airboss... I will continue to peruse the TS forum and learn what I can about the Traveler Supreme RVs. Is there a you tube channel that talks expressly about TSs? Thank you again guys!
Old 12-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Is there a you tube channel that talks expressly aboutful. TSs?
Not that I am aware of but;

Every RV is a chassis and standard items in the house, so for trouble shooting or repair a you tube search for Most specific problems should be help.ful
TS specific items such as where is (fill in the blank), or where do the wires and pipes run are best asked on the TS forum. Folks such as Rag and Busskipper are the experts among others.
Airboss68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:03 AM   #10

A motorhome is a horrible choice if only going to use 2-3 times a year.
it will just cost to much and sit and rot. A 5th or trailer would be better as motorhomes are just too complex and do not like to sit idle.
Plan on 2 - 5 thousand a year. Belts,hoses,tires,coolant,oil,filters,trans service,water in fuel from setting,rodents. All these items need attention no matter what year you have and some of these will cause more problems from sitting.
Good luck.
pogoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #11

Pogoil... I will be fulltiming in the TS and moving it places on occasion for new experiences. Won't be jumping about a lot . A 5th wheel was an option but the one place I will be staying most of the time (grandchildren) is not accessible with a fifth wheel. Two lane road too narrow and front gate not wide enough. But the 41' Motorhome slips in nicely with great caution. Otherwise a 5th wheel would have worked. Believe me we tried it. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post
Cliff we hear you nor are we DIY types naturally and we didn't have an electrical or mechanical hair on our bodies when we started with a 5er in 1999, and then our current Class A Gas we've owned since new in 2003.

After 3 years paying a dealership a ridiculous amount ($146/$155 etc) to have her winterised the first 3 years and then every time starting her in the spring with leaks due to them over tightening the plastic nuts or not putting enough antifreeze in some parts we started doing it ourselves (inc fridge ice maker and washer/dryer) through a youtube video and guide and never had an issue since upon starting her up each Spring. Sure we put way too much antifreeze in her but it's cheap insurance and has saved us hundreds over the years.

We used to pay for all oil, filter, fluid changes but past 15 years we've done them all ourselves. Started greasing her underneath, check diff fluid and never had to add so drained and changed first time ever this year, also check our wet hubs. With unbelievable help from forums like this and especially Escapees members in 2014 we installed a 880ah battery and solar system. Had to replace batteries this year and we had 3 days of trouble shooting why no 12v (we had missed a connection that was trapped down the back of the bank). I service our Onan Generator including replacing filters plugs etc. We resolved ourselves thanks to guidance from kind folks on forums like this non-working Acs, that a dealership couldn't resolve after having her in for 3 weeks. We've updated and replaced our Tube TV's and Norcold Fridge with a residential one and removed illusional size mirrors as backsplashes with light tiles, the sink in the bathroom and various other updates.

Believe me you'll be amazed how with patience, commitment to a schedule of checking/changing/servicing things you'll get a ton of routine stuff done and save yourself a fortune in the process.

Our jacks not working though were a doozie to troubleshoot - finally approached a non-rv hydraulic shop and they found a gear in the pump in bits and replaced and $400 later they are working again. Prior to them I tried a mobile RV electrical guy who charged me $600 and had her for 3 weeks and he said, it could be this or that or this or that = no confidence in him for us. I won't start taking mechanical components apart but don't mind checking connections, fuses etc as fellow RVer's guide me bless them.

For a safety precaution though I still get her in every other year to have chassis properly checked for stress cracks, U Bolts etc. Replaced our shocks with nimble help from our daughter's partner who's a lot younger this spring = again saved us a fortune.

For sure not trying to make light of RV ownership in the slightest, as we know having had 2 engines replaced, but you truly can save yourself a lot of heartache and dollars doing a ton of regular maintenance and troubleshooting things yourself and kind members on forums like this plus Youtube really really help tenfold.

Create a maintenance schedule for yourself based on manufacturers advices and work through one item at a time when due. Above all else make sure to enjoy and use your new to you vehicle!

Happy travels, SD.

This is the answer. DIY has so many advantages. You know the quality of the work, the price is substantially better, and it's actually more convenient. Shops tend to take forever to do even the smallest things. In the time you spend waiting for them to get to your coach, you could have done it yourself, and been out using it.
The last reason to DIY everything is familiarity. Eventually things are going to break in mid-trip, and it is much easier to fix whatever, and continue on. Having done other repairs and maint, will make this a lot easier.
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:26 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are living "sort of full time" in it like I do, I think your choice of and older, but not antique coach is a good choice.

My position is I spend 6 months in Mexico in my 2006 Winnebago 39K. 64 K miles on it when I got it last year. It travels from Minnesota to Mazatlan once per year, with a few little side trips on my way home in the spring, then goes on my seasonal lot April 15, So just a little under 5,000 miles per year.

I am pretty handy and do most of the stuff myself. Couple things I won't do is my oil change, grease, fluids maintenance. I have a small repair shop that will do oil for $149, generator for $49, and do a complete check of all lights, axels, fluids etc. That is plus the cost of the fluids, oil, filters, hydraulic, antifreeze, etc.

If I did it myself, the fluid and filter costs run about $400-$500. No way at my age am I going to crawl around under and in this thing for $200. They have the right tools, right location, proper disposal, and they look at it as someone else with a different set of eyes. If it needs 4 oz of something, they have it, where I would have to buy a quart or a gallon. A bad fitting, hose connector, special screw, or just looking at something quirky they know right where to look.

When my basement AC went, I looked into fixing it myself, wandered through a bunch of videos and finally took it to the factory service center. They went right to it and fixed it in an hour $145, but probably saved me that much as I was ready to start throwing parts at it. Needed a control board and a capacitor. Easy fix if you know what you are doing.

Other stuff, like lighting and electrical problems are a lot simpler on older coaches that new ones. My inverter went. Winnebago wanted $2300 to replace. I bought one and installed for under $600.

These are just some examples. If your handy, there is information out here on everything but the most complex issues, (which you likely will not have due to age of coach). But yes, in the first year, spending $1,000 on a good quality inspection might save you down the line. A good inspection can give you "must do's" "should do's" and "want to do's"

Then operate, repair and travel as your budget allows. If you are only looking at traveling 5,000 to 10,000 miles a year, and are flexible on time frames your in a good spot.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:21 AM   #14

Amos or is it Andy.... Thank you for the advise. Well received. To sum up your advice...Consider what my time and patience are worth...then decide if it's cheaper to have someone else fix the issue or profitable for me to repair it myself and learn about my "old" rig. Well today I feeling brave... "Tomorrow has enough worries in it."