Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Defective sidewall panels are the same reason that Alfa went bankrupt. Many (most?) of the Alfa's have this problem, while some do not. I have a friend who has a 40 Alfa SeeYa, and the problem was very bad. They are full-timers, but trading the coach wasnt an option, as no one would give them anything for it.

They ended up going to Mike's Custom Painting in Bremen, In., who replaced the sidewalls, re-used the wiindows, and had all new storage bay doors made; then full body paint.

This was done 3 years ago, and it still looks brand new. I don[t know who the manuf was of the original sidewall panels. May have been the same one as Tiffen and TS used?
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #16

I'd love to know roughly what they paid. Sooner or later I will have to address this :(
Old 03-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
It seems to me it was around 20k, but really don't know for sure. It was 3 years ago, so may be different now anyways. Best thing to do is call Mike. He's an easy guy to talk with; very knowledgeable and has a very good team, that can turn a rig around into better than new. Really, their work is that good. Don't know their number, but I think the website is MikesCustomPaintingInc.com
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Specialties said about $25,000 to $35000 to fix mine. It is worse on the darker colors and mine is worse on the sunny side of the coach. I am thinking about looking into the Vinyl over lay stuff that you see on busses, cars etc. They even have some for RV's. Think it might be less than $25000. Have to check it out. See if I can advertise something an get it free.
drwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For Tiffin owners the cost for both sides is ~$35,000. Tiffin has somewhat of a sliding scale of what they call "good will" coverage. To check your status contact Wade Humphres (no I), email: wade.humphres@tiffinmotorhomes.com. Ph: 256-356-0261 Ext 3204
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #20

I still can't believe someone or somebody hasn't taken this task to Owens Corning who owned the company Fabwel that made all the siding for most motorhome manufactures. They sold the company in 2006 or 7 to Crane Composite for 38 million dollars, my guess is after the checking was starting to become more and more relevant to owners they wanted to bail out. I also believe they are still responsible for our losses and I would think 50% of your current value would not be unreasonable. For those of us that fulltime, this is our house and losing 50% of it's value by no fault of our own, sucks. It seems to me to be a hush hush deal with some manufactures residing your units for a fraction of what it would cost lets say the TS owners and a guess that Owens is helping out behind the scenes to keep it from going to a class action lawsuit. There must be a time frame for a class action suit and Owens is waiting it out. Anyone know a good corporate lawyer or have friends in the government, cripes when a windshield wiper goes bad in a car they have a BIG recall and make the car manufactures belly up, but the motorhome owners are left in the dust to defend themselves always, just ain't right.......The siding is now all fiberglass and that started in 2009-10 so the problem has gone away now, I believe. Owens has a revenue of well over 5 Billion a year, just like the big corporations to start a company, take all the money then sell it...just ain't right people, like I said.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #21

Crows feet in paint

I have a 40ft. TS 4 slides for 5 years. I am not a professional painter, but been a technician for 43 years.(recent retired) I have painted a few cars in my days and by the looks of my coach, I have thousands of what we call crows feet over the sides of the coach. Mostly on pass. side (sunny) and more on the darker colors (gray & silvers). Were leaving to Yuma Arizona for the winter, but when I return, I am going to start by wet sanding to see how deep they are. I believe the crows feet are in the clear coat. Most likely all the clear coat and paint will have to be removed. That is most likely the only way to guarantee it will not come back with new paint. I will use 2 stage paint with a flex additive added to paint & clear coat. I don't believe its in the glass. I have read so many articles on this problem and so many, I believe are untrue.

Ted
Golden Colorado
leated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #22

Good luck Ted. I have talked to a painter that painted Travel Supremes. They said they have stripped one down to the fiberglass and beyond, Stripped sealed filled primed and repainted and within 1 year looked as bad if not worse than before they started. Newmar is replacing coach panels because they understand the problem and its not in the clear coat. Have a friend there in Nov having his fiberglass panels replaced on his 5th wheel then repainted. I think you are chasing the wrong problem, my opinion.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #23

Cracks are in the comp. panels and fiberglass molds everywhere

I decided to attack this problem on the front roof only on my 2006 Travel supreme. I took 180 grit on my DA sander (low speed) and stripped the paint off. I will be leaving to Yuma Az.in a few weeks from Golden Co. so I need to hurry. Yes there are many cracks (crows feet) in the fiberglass. What a disappointment. My coach has only 16,000 miles on it and My wife and I are not sure what to do. Their must be some way possibly to recoat the laminate and front and rear fiberglass portions before new paint. We are not rich, but I do have some knowledge on painting and am not scared of hard work. I do only prefer quality over cost, but? I will call Crane composites ASAP customer service 1-800-435-0080 after I'm in Yuma resting. Any pros out there, with any ideas of a permanent seal coat that will last, before painting coach, would be appreciated. I did try spraying on a thicker primer last night and right away I could see the small 3/16 long cracks showing through. Will sand the primer tomorrow.

Ted
leated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #24

Keep us posted. The front and rear caps on my 06 are fine. It's only the sides that are cracked. Wonder why that is?
Old 11-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinOn View Post
Good luck Ted. I have talked to a painter that painted Travel Supremes. They said they have stripped one down to the fiberglass and beyond, Stripped sealed filled primed and repainted and within 1 year looked as bad if not worse than before they started. Newmar is replacing coach panels because they understand the problem and its not in the clear coat. Have a friend there in Nov having his fiberglass panels replaced on his 5th wheel then repainted. I think you are chasing the wrong problem, my opinion.
Our 2002 Dutch Star is showing the same condition and has been for years. When I checked into it they wanted about $12,000 per side and it just wasn't worth it. Now it's probably higher cost and our rig has depreciated more.
So far none of the paint has actually failed due to it though, it just looks bad.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint