Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2020, 08:34 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Windshields and cross bracing

Started a thread on this subject https://www.irv2.com/forums/f274/cro...ds-418288.html a year and a half ago after purchasing my TS when I knew absolutely very little about motorhomes and less than nothing about TS's, so now after a year I thought an update would be in order. Unfortunately due to the age of the thread it won't let me reply so here is a new thread

Just departing from Paul's after having my windshield hoop installed.

As an afterthought before departing, as my X bracing was done at a shop in SD I asked Paul to look it over. Indeed all of the cross bracing had not been done.

There is a portion of the bracing behind the steer wheels not readily visible and this was missing from mine. Pulled it back into the shop and in a few hours it was complete. So if your cross bracing was not done at Paul's double check and make sure it is all there.

Now hopefully after replacing 2 left panes and one right pane, do to jack failure and air bag failure, I need replace no more.

Additionally in another thread describing my 1st windshield replacement I mentioned that my TS needed a windshield panel 1/2' less wide than other 2004s.

Info from RV glass solutions there was a mid year change in the front cap requiring a smaller pane. Made sense at the time but:

After talking to Paul and his partner it is really due to the fact(s) that during this period of time TS had 3 different windshield suppliers all supplying a slightly different shape and size. Coupled with the fact that the front cap is fiberglass the openings had minor variances in size. So I guess if you are having your windshield replaced and the installer is having trouble with fit or it doesn't look right make them investigate a different windshield pane.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss68 View Post

Additionally in another thread describing my 1st windshield replacement I mentioned that my TS needed a windshield panel 1/2' less wide than other 2004s.

Info from RV glass solutions there was a mid year change in the front cap requiring a smaller pane. Made sense at the time but:

After talking to Paul and his partner it is really due to the fact(s) that during this period of time TS had 3 different windshield suppliers all supplying a slightly different shape and size. Coupled with the fact that the front cap is fiberglass the openings had minor variances in size. So I guess if you are having your windshield replaced and the installer is having trouble with fit or it doesn't look right make them investigate a different windshield pane.
When they were replacing mine in 2018 they had to grind areas of the replacement glass to get it to fit inside the frame. Guess they didn't grind enough, as it cracked again last year. There was no visible impact damage just a crack that started at the top. While doing some research I learned that there are different size windshields. When I contacted Safelite and gave them my VIN they said I had the smaller glass.

I have not found a VIN reference to windshield glass size, but I am sure one exists somewhere!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #3

Is there a way to see if the hoop has been installed without removals? Ours has cross bracing, but I don't where it was done or if it was done correctly and clearly I don't know about the hoop either.

Good information on the various sizes on the windshields. Thanks
Azee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:16 AM   #4

Not sure. Just crawled under my dash and poked around Generator compartment and couldn't tell. Doesn't mean there isn't a way , I just don't know how.

Unfortunately I am not still at Paul's and can't easily ask. If there is a way I'm sure one of the other owners will chime in.

I'll be setting up later today on a site the really requires my front end to be up in the air and I'll try to post some photos of the additional X bracing I needed.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss68 View Post
Started a thread on this subject https://www.irv2.com/forums/f274/cro...ds-418288.html a year and a half ago after purchasing my TS when I knew absolutely very little about motorhomes and less than nothing about TS's, so now after a year I thought an update would be in order. Unfortunately due to the age of the thread it won't let me reply so here is a new thread

Just departing from Paul's after having my windshield hoop installed.

As an afterthought before departing, as my X bracing was done at a shop in SD I asked Paul to look it over. Indeed all of the cross bracing had not been done.

There is a portion of the bracing behind the steer wheels not readily visible and this was missing from mine. Pulled it back into the shop and in a few hours it was complete. So if your cross bracing was not done at Paul's double check and make sure it is all there.

Now hopefully after replacing 2 left panes and one right pane, do to jack failure and air bag failure, I need replace no more.

Boy would an Image or two help with seeing/understanding all this.

The explanation of the Fact that they had Different windshield suppliers is one that finally helps explain why TS had so many issues with the Windshied. -

If the windshield is loose when you start - or too tight - explains why some had them Falling out and others had them Cracked. -

So then the question is is there one supplier who is supplying the CORRECT Glass? r is there really any Correct Glass. -

That would be nice to Know. -

Thanks for that info - I remember when I had my Glass replaced at the Factory asking why some Fell out while others Cracked - the explanation was that they did often not cut the Hole perfectly. -

Even now after 15 years - I continue to learn more about these Coaches.

I was very fortunate that I became a Pest and TS - reinstalled new Windshields for me - Installed the New Air Lock Door - then Did the Cross bracing all at the Factory under Warranty. - - -

Thanks for the Info,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #6

Windshield

I also had my bracing done at TS but the problem has resurfaced and keeps opening in the upper drivers side windshield ..Im reading about a "hoop " can anyone tell me what this hoop is or maybe share a drawing of this. Does Pauls sell these hoops ?
23Clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:57 PM   #7

Paul installs the hoop.

He also does one thing for x-bracing that no one else does...and he calls it the most important part. He runs two braces from the front of the basement up on a 45 degree angle to some frame member.

I had bracing done by Bishop, and was amazed at the tightening of the steering response afterward!

Then Paul did the 45 degree bars, and I could feel further improvement!

Paul did the hoop a year ago, and the house up front acts like it's made of concrete!

The bracing and hoop improve the steering & handling so much, I'd get them even if I had no problem with the wimdshields!
Old 05-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #8

Hoop

Photos showing Paul's RV installing w/s hoop

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hoop 2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	285870   Click image for larger version

Name:	hoop 3.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	285871  

texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #9

x brace

X Brace

There is also a horizontal plate attached between the frames. Unable to see in this photo.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	x brace.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	285876  
Old 05-20-2020, 04:48 AM   #10

This is the portion of cross bracing missing from our TS that we had installed at the same time as the windshield hoop.

Name:	XBC.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	286146

Name:	xbc2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	286147
Old 05-20-2020, 07:08 AM   #11

Airboss68

Thanks for posting . . .
Photos ALWAYS help those that read important comments/posts.

Ray
Old 05-21-2020, 05:14 PM   #12

Yes, thanks so much for those photos. Now we know where to look.
Azee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #13

windshield hoop

Paul did my hoop last fall before that coach sounded like old wooden sailing ship going down the road now I can hear my wife seem like one thing always out weights the other
Herb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #14

Glad to hear all this positive information about hoop install. We have an appt to get ours done in Aug.

Tags
wind, windshield