Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #1

12 volt power to Generator

Fired generator up getting ready to head out on a trip a couple weeks ago. Generator ran for 2 hours and generator shut down with no error codes.

First thought was the fuel filter so I changed it. No difference however when I went to prime the filter I could not hear the pump. Then I thought it was a bad 12 volt fuel pump. Changed the fuel pump with no difference. Coach had 1/2 tank of fuel so I went and filled it up. Primed the generator it fired and ran fine for 10 hour trip.. Fast forward to the ride home a few days later. Generator dies after a few hours. Stopped and filled the coach w diesel and could not restart. Drove 8 house home in a hot coach as the dash ail will only put out so much cold air.

Had a mechanic come out last week. Had weak power to the fuel pump using a test light. I unplugged the plug on the front left of the generator and re plugged it and the test light went bright at the fuel pump. Primed the fuel pump and generator cranked and run with no issues.

Go out today and I cranked generator and it ran for a few minutes and died. Primed with switch and no sounds from fuel pump. Doesn’t appear to have any 12 volt power on the house side of the plug.

My question is where are the relays, fuses for that wiring harness? It looks like the wire leaves the generator area goes into the center of the dash.

I know my problem is intermittent power to the fuel pump. I have a bad connection on the house side that supplies the 12 volt power to the generator switch. I don’t think it is the plug on the generator. Does someone know what each pin does on that plug?

I also noticed that the alternator was showed 17 volts for an hour or so on the drive home. Could be totally unrelated but I plan to take the alternator off and have it checked out before heading out again.

2014 Entegra Anthem
Cowgal135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #2

Update. No power to the pump from generator fuel pump wire. I can jump 12 volt power to the pump and it works. The generator will then crank and run with no issues.

Why would the generator not be sending 12 volt power to the fuel pump? Where could this problem be ?

2014 Entegra Anthem 44SL
Old 08-05-2018, 05:11 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Hey Sam
What Generator do you have ? Onan 10000 or the 12000
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #4

2014 Entegra Anthem 44SL
Old 08-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Early 2000's had some issues with Circuit Boards located in the Inverter Controller.The controller feeds the Fuel pump and therefore shuts it off if there are any codes that require it to.
A close friend had the same issue as you, and we here in Indy have the Very Best Onan Shop in the Country. He told us about the Board issues and that Onan just refuses to address them. His would run a few hours and just shut off== No Codes to be found.
So where does that leave us ?
We installed a separate Switch that turns the Fuel Pump on and off and it now runs with absolutely No issues.
I'm sure others will chime shortly.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:13 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

I had a very similar issue with my generator just recently. I changed fuel filter and air filter with no resolution.

During the FMCA rally in Gillette, I had an Onan tech check the generator. I had the 36 code on mine. He could not hear my fuel pump running and reached up and moved the main harness...the fuel pump stated. He removed the coolant tank and removed the main plug. He tightened pin 24 in the harness and replugged. My generator has been fine since then.

You might want to check that harness to see if you have a similar problem. I have a 2012 Anthem with the 12,500 Onan..
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:41 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
The main generator harness that Dr. Q refers to were a problem in more ways than one in the 14's They are not water or splash proof and took moisture of any kind inside of the plug causing corrosion and bad connections. Clean the heck out of both sides of the plug with contact cleaner and see if that helps . I treated mine with die electric grease and taped it when the coach was new for those reasons.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #8

Removed the coolant tank and cleaned the plug underneath. The plug did not look horrible but did have 12 volt power to the fuel pump when put back together with electric grease. I also tightened the greased the fuel pump connections. Ran the generator for a couple of hours with no issues. Fingers crossed that fixed the issue.

2014 Entegra Anthem 44SL

Tags
12 volt, generator, power