Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #1

14 Aspire Coach power consumption.WOW!! $$$

Hey all,
We sold our house and moved our 2014 Aspire 42DEQ on to a piece of property we have.
It is a little out in the sticks so elect. isnt all that cheap. BUT. Plugged into 50 amp and had the shore power SET to that. Logging into the electric company account and in 15 days we are at 160+ bucks.
We set here in the dark so as to save. This to me is way to much power. I mean. We have a 2000' house on the property that is way less.
I know that we are charging batteries and all but this just seems way to much.
What is the power consumption of these things? I know that is a hard question but I am just wondering. Am I the only one noticing such a be draw? Have I not something set right?
I have heard stories about the Samsung refers drawing a lot. And yes. We did have a problem with it running most the time. But then found that the freezer door was not shut all the way because of the safety latch keeping it from closing.

Just at a loss here. Hell. I thought we were paying a lot at the home we sold with a pool. But this is becoming Double or more!!

Any imput would be grateful. We are taking her in for shakedown list Monday.

Thanks all.
Don
donscomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Don't know where you are, but in central FL last Winter, in an Anthem, monthly electric cost ran a little over $100 a month in Jan and Feb when it was cool, cloudy, and rainy. We're probably heavy users, with two TVs on much of the time, heat pumps when possible, and using the aquahot only when necessary.

As you're in an Aspire, you may want to weigh electric costs against LP costs for heating in Winter, using the lesser of two evils. That said, generally these coaches are insulated amongst the best in the coach class.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #3

I half time and it usually runs me $125 per month in the summer and $50 per month in the winter. I actually think my Entegra with 3 ACs is a bit more efficient than my previous MH with 2 AC's because of the better insulation. In my old MH during August in west tx I always left the ACs on full and, when it was 102 outside was lucky to keep it a 80 degrees when I came home. With my current coach, I leave the thermostats higher, and don't pay to cool an unoccupied coach because I can cool it down when I come home.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
You might want to call the power company and see how much they charge per kilowatt hour and compare that rate to the power company where your house was. You may find that the small power company is 4x higher. Many rural electric companies charge higher rates for the cost to run power lines so far out with very few users sharing the cost like in the cities.

No need to sit it the dark, the interior lights in the 2014 Anthem are 100% LED, except for the map lights, so there is hardly any power draw there.

You don't say where you are, but if you are in sun country, exterior sunscreen will really keep the heat out and the A/C to run much more efficiently. This brand has worked well for us. http://http://www.rvsunscreen.com/htsunscreens.php
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you using electric heat or air conditioning? Must be to run up to such an amount. A kill-a-watt meter only costs a few dollars and can be very useful in determining device usage / cost.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Chuck - The bulbs in my 2014 Anthem sure look incandescent and heat like it.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #7

Chuck
This place in Calif. Paso Robles. The elect. Company has us on a tier. Your suppose to be in the 1st tier for 15 to days. We are going to the next tier in 4 days.
Even disconnected from the 220 50 amp to a 30 amp 120v outlets we have around here. Sure. We have DTV plugged in. Even unhooked playstation and DVD's. To me it just does not make sense.

We are running on water pump and I know the toilet dims the lights when flushed but we are even using things over at the house till we figure this out.

Vince
Just heating about 2 hours in the morning via Aqua Hot LP 400

tvs are not on. Unless football is on.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #8

Last winter and spring in Houston where we fulltimed the electric bill averaged $86 per month lower in colder months when we ran mostly heat. Power in Houston is cheaper than Ca because of Ca green mandate. Another reason why I don't do Ca.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
You can't expect an RV to have the insulation of a regular house. 50 amp service is two legs of 120 v , each 50 amps. I don't think your rate would change plugging into 50 amps, except you'll have the potential to use more watts. (12,000 watts on RV 50 amp service, 3,600 watts on 30 amp service)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:16 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
14 Aspire Coach power consumption.WOW!! $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by donscomp View Post
Chuck

This place in Calif. Paso Robles. The elect. Company has us on a tier. Your suppose to be in the 1st tier for 15 to days. We are going to the next tier in 4 days.

Even disconnected from the 220 50 amp to a 30 amp 120v outlets we have around here. Sure. We have DTV plugged in. Even unhooked playstation and DVD's. To me it just does not make sense.

We are running on water pump and I know the toilet dims the lights when flushed but we are even using things over at the house till we figure this out.

Vince

Don,

What do you pay per kWh?

Here in NC (at my home) I pay $0.09640 per kWh.

At a local campground they charge $0.14 per kWh.

Curt

Sent from my iPhone
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:37 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
Chuck - The bulbs in my 2014 Anthem sure look incandescent and heat like it.
You are correct....it was the later 2014's that received the all LED's. I saw the OP signature and assumed he had one of the LED equipped models. I remember now it was about the time mine was built that they changed as I was ready to replace all of the bulbs and didn't have too. Thankfully they fit my yard lights, so I changed those
Old 11-06-2014, 05:08 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donscomp View Post
Chuck

Vince

I know your area well, my Mom lived in San Luis Opispo before moving to FL. I would check the power company's rates....it could be that there is not much that can be done if there tier rates are high.

I would be surprised if it was anything in the MH as it sounds like you have cut everything back. Check with the power company for their Kwh charge. Post back and let's compare it with some of our Kwh rates. I know mine is high, my S&B runs $350+ during the summer.

I have a customer charge of $20.00 even if I don't use any power then it is $0.0821 per Kwh, first tier, then $0.0971 next tier, plus fuel charge of $0.01665. I also have the City that takes a cut of $9.50 a month for them allowing the wires to be put on their property and now a new Public Service tax of 7% of the entire bill to the City. It adds up quick. $345. for Oct, a cooler month.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:17 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Maybe the cost of power is what is contributing to what I'd say are some of the highest campground fees we experienced in traveling in about 40+ states in the last 18 months. CA was the highest...by about 25% on average. I assumed it was taxes on the small businesses, but the military parks were 30% higher as well. Hadn't thought about it that much, but they don't pay taxes...so I'm betting electric is through the ceiling (and not your heat). JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #14

Thanks everyone for your input. I will get back to you with the rates. They are extremely high out here. But it's the tier I can't stay in very long. The lower one.

I won't be able to do much comparing anymore this week. Family members Will be here staying over at the house. And everything is on 1 meter. This is not a campground it is family property.

Thanks again everyone. Will get back to you
Don

Tags
power