Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2022, 04:30 PM   #29
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
neufy trip

I have done it and just left the fridge closed. No electricity, no propane (turned off re rules). All was ok when we got to land again. Just keep the door closed.
A lovely trip but you might get tired of seeing lighthouses (one on every coroner. ).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 04:33 PM   #30

Long ferry ride

The first thing that came to mind was to just call the ferry company and ask them. As somebody else mentioned, you’re certainly not the first to have this question.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:36 PM   #31

Once the Ferry leaves North Sydney in Nova Scotia, you will not be allowed to go to your RV at anytime. It’s only 8 hours and cheaper if you just go to Channel-Port aux Basques. That is the western side of Newfoundland but very beautiful, you must go to St Anthony to see the Viking village, driving up there is wonderful, then back south and head east at Deer Lake and on to St John’s. You can then decide if you want to go back to Nova Scotia from St John’s, it’s overnight, or drive back to Port-aux Basques and take the ferry back from the same place you started your Newfoundland adventure. We have been there in our RV and I can tell you the best thing about Newfoundland is by far the people, they are just so special.
There are also wonderful places to visit along the way, in our opinion you need 2 months or more to see it right. Go in May and you will see the icebergs floating south.
Enjoy your trip it’s wonderful🤗
kenandfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:27 PM   #32

You will be fine... The coach is below deck and out of the sun. We did the trip 6 years ago and just added a few ice packs to the freezer compartment. We shut most everything else down. Propane must be shut off and tagged when on the ferry.

SUNSET RV camp in Argentia is worth a stay if you plan to day trip in the area. This is Campground over looks the Harbour and has great sunsets.

The KOA at the bridge in North Sydney is also a great place to stop either before the ferry ride to Nfld or when you come back.

A couple other posts have provided lots of good information if you take the alternate short ferry route. Gros Morne park is a must see if you go the short ferry route.

Avoid driving at night... Moose encounter are a frequent hazard at dusk, night, and early morning.

Have a great trip...

BTW... If you need to rent a car, book well in advance of your trip.
Rovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:17 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
The 16 hour ferry is from Argentia to North Sydney which they in in the Summer. We took a Teton 5th there way back on 2001. They let you down to the vehicle area every couple of hours to check on your critters. We took the short ride over, the long ride back..It is cold enough that your fridge will survive. Side note for Ham operators, Club Station VO1AA is set up in the Cabot tower; visiting hams are invited to operate. Side note 2. My first drive across NFLD was in 1965 from Argentia to Port-aux Basques. The TCH was 700 miles of gravel.

2022 Gemini
Doug F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:37 PM   #34

been there done that . Use blue or dry ice in refrigerator it will hold since doors will remain closed for full trip. If you have an inverter shut it otherwise it will drain your battery’s They allow you to check on pets otherwise nobody is allowed on auto deck during trip.
https://debbyandcharlie.com/Canada%202018/Index.html
PS95Bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:26 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
pretty much nothing to do

You have a residential refrigerator and it will maintain its temperature very close to where you set it unless you open it a bunch of times. Carry drinks in a cooler. Other than that you don't need to do anything.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:29 PM   #36

Fridge closed will be fine

My 10cu gas/elec turned off was fine. Ate weak perishables beforehand. Took small cooler w/cold packs for some beers,water and snacks. Had a mini stateroom and ate hot meals in dining room. We did this trip, I did condense it; Fundy NP
Moncton NB (must see Tidal Bore)
Confederation Bridge to PEI from NS
PEI NP
Ferry back to NS
KOA N.Sidney/Cabot Trail to board RV for 2 nights ($20 per W/elec) Drove toad up to Cape Breton NP and around Cabot Trail (stayed in B&B)
Short Ferry to NF
Gros Morne NP
Terra Nova NP
Pippy Park CG in St John’s
Long Ferry back to NS
Halifax & Annapolis Valley(wine country)
Kejimkujik NP
Kennest6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:48 PM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jagmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaril View Post
Hello All, we have booked a trip to Newfoundland in August. Part of this voyage is a 16 hours ferry crossing. Electricity is not available and I don't think I can use the generator. What do I need to do to make sure when I get back in the RV, everything will work. Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks Michel
We took the trip and we shut everything off except the inverters and the fridge. All was fine when we were released in Sidney, NS. We loved Newfoundland and would go back again without question. Enjoy it.
jagmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:48 PM   #38

As you probably know from power outages, refrigerators can be left unopened for many hours with no thawing of frozen foods. I suggest you arrive with everything cooled down, then in say 4 hours turn on the fridge for 4 hours, then off for 4 (just picking a number here) ... if I were you I would contact the ferry to inquire about the genset - might not have any issue at all. If you can't run it, do the on/off cycle ... your food will be find. Try and extinguish any other DC loads that you can - idling televisions etc. Sounds like a fun excursion - enjoy.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaril View Post
Hello All, we have booked a trip to Newfoundland in August. Part of this voyage is a 16 hours ferry crossing. Electricity is not available and I don't think I can use the generator. What do I need to do to make sure when I get back in the RV, everything will work. Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks Michel
Turn off everything you can. Turn off the house switch. Even the fridge will be ok if you don’t open it. Minimize your freezer contents. The rig will be fine.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:39 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Newfoundland Sites to see

Two sights on Newfoundland that have not been mentioned that to me were most memorable when I did a motorcycle trip from Oregon to there in '04 were Gander, where the Newfies not only hosted ALL of the various airline passengers during 9/11 in their homes, but fed them, did their laundry, etc; but also the memorial of the airplane that crashed loaded with our military (you won't have a dry eye, especially when you see the statue that they erected...) - between those two sites, you will have a greater appreciation for our neighbors. And Spears Point Lighthouse, which is the very Easternmost point in North America.
That said, you will find a lot more to see and do on Nova Scotia - especially likes the eastern side (but the roads are not great, but worth it)...
ENJOY!!!
Bob and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:54 PM   #41

Hearts Content

Check out the Transatlantic Western Union Cable Station just as it was left in 1968 in original condition.

https://debbyandcharlie.com/Canada%2...20Station.html
PS95Bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:53 PM   #42

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
We did it 3 years ago and went into the port Port aux Basques. It is a 7 hour ferry ride and absolutely beautiful. Once on the island drive 30 minutes north on highway 1 and stay at the campground in Codroy. There is only one. If you have any questions PM me with your name and number and I will call you. I would also suggest you leave from the same port as it is only a 9 hour drive across the island.

Book a campsite right away in Saint Johns which is on the east side of the island. It is called Pippy Park. Get the pull thru in the back.

First campground when you get off the ship

Grand Codroy RV
Rough 406, Doyles Station Rd
Codroy Valley, NL
www.grandCodroy.com
877-955-2520

North East side of the island
Pippy Park Campground
709-737-4105
www.pippypark.com

It is close to downtown Saint Johns

Once you are in Saint Johns call this number 709-753-9100. Brian Day is the owner

Tell him you want to be Screached in.

He will tell you what time to go.

The name of his place is
Christian’s Pub
23 George Street
St John’s

You have to do this as it is amazing.

I would suggest you go to Codroy the first night then drive up to L’anse Aux Meadows which is all the way at the top NW side where the Vikings landed.
I would suggest you take the small 20 foot boat and go out by the icebergs. It is really cool. One of the pictures below shows you what we have to have on to go. There were only 3 of us went. Amazing

There is a campground there you can stay in. They only have 30 amp but you won’t be running any AC.

The last picture below is from the first night we stayed in Codroy which was the first stop. I asked Alice who checked us in if we could get a pull through as we were going to head out in the morning. She said no problem that it would be in the old section of the campground. I said that was fine so she directed me to the site. I plugged in and 15 minutes later the breaker blew. In the old section of the park they breakers were all in one big box that handled about 20 sites. It had a lock on it. I walked up to the office and asked Alice if she could send someone back to reset the breaker. She started laughing and said here is a set of keys we don’t know which one will open the lock but this is how we keep the Nufes busy.

When we stopped there on the way back we took a site in the new section of the campground and had no issues. 🤣🤣

[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]
Thanks for the information. We hope to do the same trip next year and appreciate the advice.
604-302-1300
Fourwinds93 is offline   Reply With Quote