Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2022, 07:04 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
16 hours ferry

Hello All, we have booked a trip to Newfoundland in August. Part of this voyage is a 16 hours ferry crossing. Electricity is not available and I don't think I can use the generator. What do I need to do to make sure when I get back in the RV, everything will work. Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks Michel
mbaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2022, 07:09 PM   #2

No Electric available.......can't run generator or use propane

So shut everything off, empty fridge and enjoy the ferry ride
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:16 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Nothing. Your batteries should last 16 hours just running the fridge. I wouldn’t worry.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:25 PM   #4

Never done it (16 hour ferry ride) but its hard to believe they have never had to deal with someone like your coach before.... (refer trucks with food aboard, etc.). I would think that they might be taking all sorts of cold food and supplies on the ferry for Newfoundland. The situation can't be a first time need.

However, all you need is 120 VAC extension cord and a 110 Volt plug and I think that might be available. Shut everything else off.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:45 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
They are not going to give him a power cord.

Turn everything off. Salesman's switch, refer, battery switches. Your refer will stay cold for 16 hours if it is not opened, and unless your batteries are total junk they will easily last 16 hours in that situation.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:50 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
It might also do to cut down on the perishables before you board. That way if the worst does happen, your loses are minimized.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:21 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
16 hours ferry

We did it 3 years ago and went into the port Port aux Basques. It is a 7 hour ferry ride and absolutely beautiful. Once on the island drive 30 minutes north on highway 1 and stay at the campground in Codroy. There is only one. If you have any questions PM me with your name and number and I will call you. I would also suggest you leave from the same port as it is only a 9 hour drive across the island.

Book a campsite right away in Saint Johns which is on the east side of the island. It is called Pippy Park. Get the pull thru in the back.

First campground when you get off the ship

Grand Codroy RV
Rough 406, Doyles Station Rd
Codroy Valley, NL
www.grandCodroy.com
877-955-2520

North East side of the island
Pippy Park Campground
709-737-4105
www.pippypark.com

It is close to downtown Saint Johns

Once you are in Saint Johns call this number 709-753-9100. Brian Day is the owner

Tell him you want to be Screached in.

He will tell you what time to go.

The name of his place is
Christian’s Pub
23 George Street
St John’s

You have to do this as it is amazing.

I would suggest you go to Codroy the first night then drive up to L’anse Aux Meadows which is all the way at the top NW side where the Vikings landed.
I would suggest you take the small 20 foot boat and go out by the icebergs. It is really cool. One of the pictures below shows you what we have to have on to go. There were only 3 of us went. Amazing

There is a campground there you can stay in. They only have 30 amp but you won’t be running any AC.

The last picture below is from the first night we stayed in Codroy which was the first stop. I asked Alice who checked us in if we could get a pull through as we were going to head out in the morning. She said no problem that it would be in the old section of the campground. I said that was fine so she directed me to the site. I plugged in and 15 minutes later the breaker blew. In the old section of the park they breakers were all in one big box that handled about 20 sites. It had a lock on it. I walked up to the office and asked Alice if she could send someone back to reset the breaker. She started laughing and said here is a set of keys we don’t know which one will open the lock but this is how we keep the Nufes busy.

When we stopped there on the way back we took a site in the new section of the campground and had no issues. 🤣🤣

[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4617.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	532.1 KB
ID:	368976   Click image for larger version

Name:	58344758114__4063C92B-5404-4036-B464-F4568497EAE1.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	368977  

Name:	IMG_4632.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	756.0 KB
ID:	368978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4110.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	374.6 KB
ID:	368979  

Name:	IMG_4280.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	535.5 KB
ID:	368980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4031.JPG
Size:	666.6 KB
ID:	368982  

Name:	IMG_4031.JPG
Size:	666.6 KB
ID:	368984  
Old 06-21-2022, 08:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
We did it 3 years ago and went into the port Port aux Basques. It is a 7 hour ferry ride and absolutely beautiful. Once on the island drive 30 minutes north on highway 1 and stay at the campground in Codroy. There is only one. If you have any questions PM me with your name and number and I will call you. I would also suggest you leave from the same port as it is only a 9 hour drive across the island.

Book a campsite right away in Saint Johns which is on the east side of the island. It is called Pippy Park. Get the pull thru in the back
A note of caution. If you opt for the Port aux Basques just be aware of the wreak house. This is a natural wind tunnel not far off the ferry that can and does blow trucks over. Even trains. Heed the warning signs please.
I trucked through there all one winter and if it is windy it is not safe. Not trying to scare anyone but it can be serious.
Enjoy your trip. It is a great place.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:28 AM   #9

You could put dry ice in the frig and freezer if you don't want to run it. Or use the blue ice thingies if dry ice is not allowed. Not sure how much Carbon Dioxide would be released in a frig over 16 hours.
Denie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:06 AM   #10

16 hours ferry

I did the trip with 3 year old batteries that I had taken good care of. I turned off the basement cooler and several circuit breakers. It was fine. The was in a 2017 Anthem. Note that the anthem has 4 batteries
Old 06-22-2022, 06:37 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
What Marc said, the night before turn the refrigerator down and get everything super cold while on shore power. Even with bad batteries the refrigerator will stay cold for 16 hours not being opened. We do that all the time expecting power goes out after hurricanes here in FL.
In addition a full refrigerator stays colder longer than an empty refrigerator. Putting frozen bottles of water inside will help also. 16 hours without power will be no problem.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:24 AM   #12

So, I know you are planning on using a different ferry (longer voyage) but the picture that Phil shows is of the refers being carried outside and I simply can't believe that their diesel powered generators are not running and cooling their cargo during the voyage. If truck refers can remain running, I fail to see the logic of why you would be prevented from running your generator. Also, I wonder if you aren't allowed to check on your unit every so often.

Are you sure you can't run the genny if you wanted to?

Please come back and answer the issues raised. That is a trip that is on our "Must Do" list so I am VERY interested in your experience and knowledge. Phil has been my Go To Guy for information up to this point.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:31 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
So, I know you are planning on using a different ferry (longer voyage) but te picture that Phil shows is of the refers being outside and I simply cant believe that their diesel powered generators are not running the cooling their cargo during the process. If truck refers can remain running, I fail to see the logic of why you would be prevented from running your generator. Also, I wonder if you aren't allowed to check on your unit every so often.

Are you sure you can't run the genny if you wanted to?

Please come back and answer the issues raised. That is a trip that is on our "Must Do" list so I am VERY interested in your experience and knowledge. Phil has been my Go To Guy for information up to this point.

Gary

I will let you know as soon as I hear back from them
Old 06-22-2022, 10:33 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks everyone for all your replies