Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #1

#2 air conditioner

I’m still having problems with my number 2 air conditioner. I checked the balesters and they aren’t burnt as some have suggested. Today I called the Coleman service center and he suggested putting a jumper across the “freeze” line. No joy

No oil residues at all and the unit looks clean. The compressor cycles every 40 seconds for about 2 seconds. When it does I can feel coolness on the coils. Unfortunately I’m not much of an a/c mechanic. And the Coleman service center seemed a bit annoid since I’m not a technician. Any ideas what to check next?
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2018, 05:41 AM   #2

Sure sounds like the start capacitor. Sometimes you can tell if they're bad by looking at them, sometimes not. I would replace it.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:54 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Dave, it sounds like it is a bad run capacitor? They are easy to change less and than $10. at a supply house If you do get one go to an A/C supply house in town, not an RV parts store, which would probably have to order it anyhow. Also an A/C supply house can give you excellent trouble shooting advice. These are pretty simple units. If you replace one, I would replace both the start and the run capacitors at the same time, they are located next to each other. IIRC, the capacitors are inside of a black box on the Mach 8.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #4

Thanks guys I’ll try that as well. I just got off the phone again with the service people and they suggested to pull the white wire off the high pressure limit switch. I’ll try that tonight when I get home and if that doesn’t work I’ll get the capacitors
Old 06-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I pulled the white wire going to the pressure switch on my unit and it has worked great every since. It was only blowing air. it started working immediately. You need to make sure you turn off the breaker before you do it.

Gary
2017 Chevrolet Tahoe, M&G Braking, Blue Ox Avail
gswindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:25 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
if you have and know how to use a multimeter, it is easy to test the capacitors. Once power is turned off, remove the leads from the subject capacitor. Discharge the capacitor by applying a screw driver acorss the capacitor terminals. Set your multimeter for checking conitnuity. Apple meter leads across the capacitor terminals. If the capacitor is good, you should see a positive needle (or immediate positive continuity indication, if meter is digital) movement on the meter, followed by an immediate drop to zero. If needle doesn't move, or goes positive and stays there, the capacitor is bad. If bad, they are cheap at an ac supply house.
Sounds like a bad run capacitor from your description. Also, if a defective high pressure switch is found to be the culprit such as in prevpost, it should really be replaced with new, or if it is tripping aaaaand not defective, look for the cause, ie; dirty condenser coil, or possibly smashed condenser fins. Good luck!!
2014 Jeep GC diesel - 2024 Renegade Verona 36VSB
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:48 PM   #7

I crawled up on the roof last night in 96 degree temps and pulled the white wire off and it didn't help. Today I called Camping World in Davenport Iowa and they had 2 start capacitors in stock so off we went for a 1.5 hour drive and picked them up. I figured if one a/c unit went down because of the capacitor the others might as well, and I like to carry spare parts.

So in the blistering heat, up the ladder I went. I believe I broke a sweat as I left the inside of the RV. I changed out the capacitor and .....No luck.

I think I've tried about everything a shade tree mechanic can do. After our trip to the A.I.M. rally, I'll get it into the shop. I really don't need the 2nd a/c unit because our coach maintains 68 degrees with just 2 but if one of those go out on this trip I might be a bit upset.

I was told a new unit will cost about $950 and I might just buy a new one and save this one for parts.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Dave, it sounds like it is a bad run capacitor? They are easy to change less and than $10. at a supply house If you do get one go to an A/C supply house in town, not an RV parts store, which would probably have to order it anyhow. Also an A/C supply house can give you excellent trouble shooting advice. These are pretty simple units. If you replace one, I would replace both the start and the run capacitors at the same time, they are located next to each other. IIRC, the capacitors are inside of a black box on the Mach 8.
Dave, my reading of Chuck's post quoted above suggests there are two capacitors per AC unit.

Did you replace both of them or just one?
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:31 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Dave, there is also a difference in the start and run capacitors. You mentioned yours started, but quit in a few seconds.....run capacitor suspicion.

mymyst is correct about testing the capacitors for continuity. Lot's of photo post on the internet of how to's. Let us know what you find.
Check for an AC supply house closer than CW and explain what you have done, the counter guys at those places are sharp, they deal with those problems everyday, most use to be AC techs. The guys at CW were selling tents yesterday.

It was explained to me once that an RV A/C is nothing more than a window A/C unit made to mount on the roof.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Dave, my reading of Chuck's post quoted above suggests there are two capacitors per AC unit.

Did you replace both of them or just one?
You’re right there are 2 capacitors. One is for the fan which is working great and the other is for the compressor.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Dave, there is also a difference in the start and run capacitors. You mentioned yours started, but quit in a few seconds.....run capacitor suspicion.

mymyst is correct about testing the capacitors for continuity. Lot's of photo post on the internet of how to's. Let us know what you find.
Check for an AC supply house closer than CW and explain what you have done, the counter guys at those places are sharp, they deal with those problems everyday, most use to be AC techs. The guys at CW were selling tents yesterday.

It was explained to me once that an RV A/C is nothing more than a window A/C unit made to mount on the roof.
I gree about CW! I’ll call one of those shops and see what they say. The schematic shows both capacitors, with one for the fan and the other for the compressor. Since the fans start right up I don’t see how the second capacitor can be the problem.

When I spoke with one of the techs he said either a stuck compressor, circuit board issue or a bad thermostat
Old 07-01-2018, 07:06 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
When I spoke with one of the techs he said either a stuck compressor, circuit board issue or a bad thermostat
When one of my AC's went out in SD, closest one was in Denver, I found how to test all of those units on the internet. When I got up on the roof to run the test, found the front of the unit was soaked with Freon. Had to go to Denver for the new unit

Tags
air, air conditioner