Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2022, 10:21 PM   #1

2016 Cornerstone fridge question

I looked at a 16 cornerstone today, everything looks good on the coach except the fridge/freezer.

When going over the coach with the owner, they stated the fridge does not work off batteries. They stated if traveling down the road the generator must be turned on for the unit to work, keep things cold/frozen. They were plugged into 30A and the freezer was not keeping everything ice cold, the ice cube tray was partially melted.

This doesn’t seem right to me, there are enough batteries that I would think they could keep the fridge working properly when traveling down the road.

Any options/suggestions on what could cause this? Or were these older cornerstones setup this way?
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2022, 10:46 PM   #2

The Integra Cornerstone MH's used a residential refrigerator that operates on 120VAC. If it was receiving full AC power and not freezing, the usual cause is simply the thermostat is set to high for the freezer. It is also possible the cooling section (external to the refrigerator) could be dirty and not allowing adequate air flow. Or, the motorhome was too hot inside for the refrigerator to keep up with the heat load.

I see disappointed residential refrigerator owners all the time that have installed inverters and additional battery capacity to operate the larger refrigerator/freezers and they soon find that the cost tradeoff is a nightmare. Far more effective to just run the generator when not connected to shore power.
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:43 AM   #3

If it is not working off of inverters. Check to see if the outlet has power when on battery and inverter. If not, than make sure that the inverter is working and that the breaker on the inverter is not tripped. It could be that it is on the wrong leg of one of the shore power 120v. That would mean someone changed the power in the coach. You might want a professional check.
rrk8091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:07 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
The refrigerators in the 16 do run off the inverter/batteries as do all of the DP class A's. Good time to take the cost to of a new refrigerate off of the sale price then correct the problem. The refrigerator does not know the difference from 30 amp or 50 amp. I would start at checking refrigerator circuit breaker on the overhead compartment for a loose connection and going from there. Could be a tripped inverter circuit breaker, etc.

That 16 CS has 8 AGM batteries and it's own 2000 watt inverter, so there is plenty of power just for the refrigerator. Might also check the condition of the batteries. If they are OEM, they might be end of life and that could be the problem as well, no battery power while going down the road.

As the owner described it, it sounds like the ref. is not getting full power.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:09 AM   #5

Thanks everyone….. I did forget to mention, the owner put all new chassis and coach batteries in I think last year. So I don’t believe it’s a battery issue

They did tell me I think it was the white outlets only work off batteries while the black outlets work off 120v. Does this seem normal?

Air temp is SE Florida was in the 60’s so not overly warm.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:59 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
Thanks everyone….. I did forget to mention, the owner put all new chassis and coach batteries in I think last year. So I don’t believe it’s a battery issue

They did tell me I think it was the white outlets only work off batteries while the black outlets work off 120v. Does this seem normal?

Air temp is SE Florida was in the 60’s so not overly warm.
That should eliminate the bad batteries theory
I have owned 3 Entegras and have never had black and white outlets. . Not knowing what the previous owner has done to the coach makes one wonder......black and white outlets and now the refrigerator does not work only on 50 amps... Huh? I have had the refrigerators out on both my 19 and 21 CS just to move them over so the left door would open all the way. Both refrigerators were plugged into the standard brown outlet.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:09 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
On my 14 Anthem the only white outlets are in bathroom and under cabinets that are over kitchen sink. These are actual GFI outlets. They are on the inverter system as well as the fridge and others.
Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:03 AM   #8

On my 2015 Aspire the entire coach is not powered by the inverter. Specifically, the 110 volt power to recepticals in the mid bath and the rear bath are not energized when unplugged from shore power.
They ARE powered when on generator power or shore power. I am wondering if the fridge in question is wired incorrectly. The easiest way to check this would be to plug the fridge into a known inverted hot receptical via extension cord and see if it runs without shore or generator power.
In my model the fridge is physically plugged into a dedicated receptical located inside a cabinet under the dinette so for me at least no removal of the fridge is required to check this ...just need an extension cord

Hope this helps!

John
2015 44b
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:58 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
John, the earlier Aspires only had one Inverter and only 4 batteries so the outlet were limited. However the Cornerstones and Anthems have always had two inverters and 8 batteries where everything is powered off of the inverters, except dryer and fireplace. The refrigerator on the Cornerstone should also be on it own circuit as well as it's own inverter.

As others mention, I did forget about the GFI beakers being white in the 14. But that changed when Entegra went GFI circuit breakers above the drivers seat. Not sure what year that change was made.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:54 PM   #10

I talked to the owner today about the fridge issue. He kinda laughed… he said his wife just filled up the ice tray with water which is why it wasn’t full of ice cubes. He did have a drink when he was showing the coach to me. I know it was getting power, light were on and it was cold…

He said when they travel down the road the freezer doesn’t stay ice cold over a few days of traveling unless they use the generator.

In regards to the outlets, the white & black/brown are in the kitchen side. There is a white outlet that I think faces the fridge (45B floor plan) however it’s close to the cooktop and black or brown above the counter in the kitchen. I forget which ones work when.

So I think it’s all working as it should, it’s a 2016 however built more to 2015 spec’s with the older front end. Hopefully hear from my bank tomorrow morning and will be giving the coach another once over tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!!
Old 01-26-2022, 04:15 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I talked to the owner today about the fridge issue. He kinda laughed… he said his wife just filled up the ice tray with water which is why it wasn’t full of ice cubes. He did have a drink when he was showing the coach to me. I know it was getting power, light were on and it was cold…

He said when they travel down the road the freezer doesn’t stay ice cold over a few days of traveling unless they use the generator.

In regards to the outlets, the white & black/brown are in the kitchen side. There is a white outlet that I think faces the fridge (45B floor plan) however it’s close to the cooktop and black or brown above the counter in the kitchen. I forget which ones work when.

So I think it’s all working as it should, it’s a 2016 however built more to 2015 spec’s with the older front end. Hopefully hear from my bank tomorrow morning and will be giving the coach another once over tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!!
Is the refrigerator in that 15/16 a Samsung or a Whirlpool? The Samsungs are known to have ice maker problems. From what has been reported here Samsung is replacing them at no charge.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:04 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Thanks everyone!!
Are you sure that's a 45B floor plan. I thought that the prototype for the 2016 45A floorplan was the only 2016 CS with the older 2015 front end. I was there for the go-no-go review of that coach. It had the older front and rear caps because the new style wasn't ready yet due to a breakdown at the facility making the new caps. That coach (unit #1) was sold off to Bish's RV and the new 2016 production 45A coaches began with a few minor changes and mine was unit #2, the first to come off the line in the new facility.

Regardless, the 2016 CS does have the Samsung fridge and it is powered via one of the the inverters. We travel all the time with the inverter and the fridge keeps up just fine. You don't need the generator to run it. If that's the case, there is something wrong. Either your inverter isn't functioning correctly or else there is a problem with the fridge. If the fridge works on shore power and it works on the generator you are using the contacts in the inverter's transfer switch to pass bypass current through to the fridge, and anything else on that circuit. When there is no bypass power present, such as when not plugged into shore power and not running the generator, the transfer switch connects to the inverter's battery fed output. If this is the only time the fridge isn't operating, then it's an inverter issue. It may not be a failure in the inverter to provide its rated output. It may be a situation where too much stuff is trying to run off the inverter. Normally the system is wired so that the loads are pretty well divided but it is possible that someone may have switched things around or added too many loads to that inverter circuit. Things like engine block heaters (which may be inadvertently left plugged in), basement freezers, microwaves, Aqua-Hot electric element, portable toasters and coffee pots, etc. can all add up if all stuck on the same circuit. If excessive it could bog down your inverter. All of the receptacles in the galley area and living area are fed by one of the two inverters. If you look at the breaker panels you can see just which circuits are inverter-fed. It's most anything except large hard-wired loads, such as the fireplace, air conditioners, etc. The only other thing could be corroded battery connections, either at the batteries or at the downstream connections, that would limit the inverters from getting enough 12 volt power to produce their rated AC output.

Basically, these residential fridges work fine on an inverter and I haven't heard anyone complain about them having trouble - at least not in an Entegra or any other full featured diesel pusher.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Mark, Thanks for explaining that 15/16 coach. I didn't think I was slipping into a lack of memory state, You being involved with the designing of the 16's and the A floor plan, you are the reliable source.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:35 AM   #14

Lots of great info, THANKS

Looking at the manufacturers suggested retail price printout, yes it’s stated cornerstone 45B, model year is listed as 2015, VIN states 2016. I also called Entegra and they confirmed, it’s a 2016 45B

Tags
fridge