Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
2016 Entegra Shade Motor Failure

I thought I was done changing shade motors. The last couple of months it seemed that after plugging into shore power, the shade motors for the entry door sounded like a hungry bird nest. The motor(s) would chirp for approx. 15 minutes then slowly quiet down. The other night while lowering the night shade, the shade continued past the normal stop position, completely unraveling. It retracted to the correct position. I tried to adjust the travel using the valet buttons. No joy. I tried the day shade, and had the same issue.

Long story short, CS sent me 2 new shade motors. The new ones are white and are called Black Pearl. The valet switch is no longer a push button. You squeeze a small wired switch now to make adjustments. The yellow wire is not used and can be cut off. See attached photo. Adjustment procedure remains the same. Problem solved.

I guess if you hear chirping coming from your shade motors, they are about to fail

Hope this helps, Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MCD Black Pearl.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	147083  
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2016, 08:27 AM   #2

OK, we can add that to 1.) Only going down, never up 2.) Only going up, and never down, 3.) not going either direction, 4.) Going the desired direction sometimes and not other times, 5.) showing no signs of life at all, 6.) and a couple of others....

Worst part of your story is that now apparently we are moving from the good red motors to white motors... ! can you tell who either makes these, their model numbers, or who distributes these.... you are the first person that I have heard talking about white motors.... I wonder if those are only replacement for 2017s and not classics.

These appear to be clearly marked as MCD motor but I wonder who really makes them.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
The red motors have now been replaced with white motors.....lots of colors left to go. This is the first I have heard that any of the red motors being replaced, but then we only hear what's posted on the Forum.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Hard to read in the photo, but yes, they are indeed MCD. The sticker on the shade motor reads-

Black Pearl Edition with Sentry Feature
MCD 50:338
Dual Range Switch Controlled

Since mine is a 2016, I would think this is probably the "new" replacement shade motor for coaches regardless of year.

Hope this helps, Brian
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I guess it would be good to point out similarities, but it should be noted...classics have United Shades (which we had the multitude of shade colors and problems). The newer coaches have MCD shades.

This is the first time someone has reported one of these MCD shade motors going out (that I can remember, but occasionally suffer from CRS). We did have MCD fronts in 2013, but I don't recall many problems with them.

So, that said, I don't think lumping this new shade motor crash and symptoms with the challenges faced from 2013 to 2016 with the United Shades is appropriate. OP doesn't say what the MCD shade motor color that came out was. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:40 PM   #6

The picture in his post shows that it is white

Gary
Old 12-20-2016, 04:45 PM   #7

All the many colored motors of the classics and 2016 where made by a Chinese company named something like Shinsen Electronics. it is up here in one of these threads. It was widely believed that the red motors were the same motors used in the MCD shades so the assumption was that the MCD motors simply had their label on them but were fairly identical with the red motor series from Shinsen (or whatever it was) Electrics (distributed by United Shades). My bet is they all come out of the same building..... JMHO

Thanks for the model information Brian

Gary
Old 12-20-2016, 05:44 PM   #8

I was sent all new motors from CS and unfortunately had to replace the red motors already. Had two fail and just had another fail in the PS front day shade.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:01 PM   #9

Sounds like one has to plan ahead. Call in failures to have spares ready for when it is really needed.
FireEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:53 AM   #10

I've had at least one, and often 2 spares with me for 2 years now.... never travel without one. Entegra's policy has been to always change them in pairs (both the day and night shades) which was very smart as it was only a matter of time before the other one in the same bracket needed to be replaced.

Knowing where they are made is important because at some point, CS will stop honoring replacement, and at a single unit price of about $140 each motor, it will behoove us to start replacing themselves from motors sold elsewhere at a much lower price, thus my search for who makes them.

Gary

Tags
entegra